• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Common Merganser with babies

buzzsaw

Okay, I'm not stalking these female ducks with babies, they just happen to be near the Smallmouth hotspot. grin.gif

commonmergywithriders2ix3.jpg

commonmergywithbabies2wu6.jpg

commonmergwithfollowers2dw0.jpg

commonmergwithducklings2yq0.jpg

commonmergwithbabies2xt9.jpg

commonmergprotecting2io1.jpg

commonmergiewithbabies2st4.jpg

commonmergiebabyride2te9.jpg

Oh and a few "sky carp" Cormarants out on the island of [PoorWordUsage]. tongue.gif

cormarantinflight2fu4.jpg

cormarantisland2ys7.jpg

Let me introduce the leader of the band!! as the choir sings background vocals.

seagullsinharmony2ci1.jpg

Thanks guys! wink.gif The guys I were fishing with were like "easy photo boy" until they saw the babies and then they were all like COOL look at them on the mama's back etc etc... I tried to make it a point to be at eye level and it almost cost me once as my MinnKota prop went thumpity thump thump up against the rocks on the north side of Indian Point.... I guess I should have raised it up higher. crazy.giffrown.gif

Michael, I use the Nikon D200 generally outfitted with the Nikkor 80-400mm lens. I will admit I spaced using my polarizer when I was over by the "[PoorWordUsage] island" that was full of Gulls and "sky carp". Oh well, you always learn something after you go back through and start post processing pictures don't you?!

Thanks Headin' North. It's a decent lens, you pretty much get what you pay for with most things and this is no exception. It is semi slow on focusing fly bys and is too slow with a teleconverter on it... I very rarely use a TC. It shoots nice at F7.1 and F8 IMO. I'm getting to know it's strengths with my D200 and that will help get more consistantly decent photo's. I think an important factor is having great wooded habitat to shoot in and being patient enough or smart enough to set up the right area's to get the birds/ducks or whatever to come in close.

I really would like the F4 600mm Nikkor lens and it may happen down the road, we'll see. wink.gif

Thanks for the lens info.I think you mentioned only being at this for about 8 months Buzz.If that's the case,I can only hope my learning curve is as brief.You're absolutely right about setting up an area,habitat and patience.It's like duck hunting with a camera.

Quote:

Thanks for the lens info.I think you mentioned only being at this for about 8 months Buzz.If that's the case,I can only hope my learning curve is as brief

Thank you for the compliment, I had some help in the beginning from a few guys here that I've mentioned before, however figured out more recently how to "maximize" the images I'm posting to the web. It's an on-going learning experience and thats part of the draw for me as well as trying different things different ways.

It's alot like hunting, just without the killing aspect and I think anybody who is familiar with keeping a low profile in the woods would have some sort of advantage over the city slicker who's afraid of bugs and critters.

The learning curve is definitely flattened out if a person already is a good hunter, bird watcher or naturalist of some type, because those groups already know the habitat, where to find what they're looking for and how to keep their mouths shut, their feet quiet and their ears open.