• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hot Radishes

Jim Uran

I've got some pretty new radishes and they just formed basically, Are certain varieties hotter than others. Because these ones are pretty hot man. Is it because they just formed or what, I have no clue.

Some are hotter but if you pick them before they get too big, say the size of a quarter, they're more mild. Some seem to get hotter as they grow. Soaking them overnight in the fridge tames them down.

I haven't quite figured out my radishes this year. Maybe someone here has a theory. I was able to get my radishes in earlier than usual. The weather early on was cool, plenty of water and sunshine but for some reason the roots failed to create bulbs. They just grew long and thin, too thin for any use. I've never had this happen before. I checked the package to be sure of the type I seeded. Any ideas?

Bob

My plants appeared to be spaced roughly 1" apart in the row. I've never had issue before with this planting space. You think I may have been too crowded?

Bob

Maybe the seeds?? I planted radishes this year and had some unusual looking plants come up. There were some that had real staulky looking greens, so I pulled one up and found a long and thick creamy white root? Maybe horse radish? But anyways, I got a bunch of them. I blame it on the seed package. Burpee was the brand.