• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting to Research a New Pup

sjuduckhunter

Hello everyone-

I am in the very beginning stages of researching my first pup and am looking for some advice. I would like a lab, but am worried about how wild they can be. I've heard many horror stories about labs being wild for the first couple years and even beyond. I am looking for help: 1) with a list of lab breeders in the state (northern half would be best as I am in Grand Rapids). Just names of good breeders and web sites if you know them. 2) how to pick a pup (via blood lines and when actually looking at the litter) that will be calm enough at home but still have enough drive to be a good duck dog. 3) best time of year to get a pup. If you get the dog in January will it be old enough and have enough training to at least go and experience hunting even if it is just watching by the following fall?

Any help and advice you can give for a good lab, or other duck dog, for a first timer would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks,

MJ

Had labs and springers. None compare to my Golden Retriever. Awesome around people most important my kids. Training was a treat. I had to ask people how can a dog be so smart. Even when he was a pup everything came natural. The best part he knows who the master is. My wife get a tad mad about that. Just my two cents...

I can only add my two cents regarding your third question. I got my pup April 1st, 2005. She was grouse hunting with me that same Fall. She was retrieving birds on the first day of hunting. She didn't know what to do on the first bird, but by the second and third bird of the day she was bringing them to Papa. Your dog will most definitely be ready by Fall. As far as energy goes.

Another thing to seriously consider for your first pup, if I read you right, would be to get a started dog. You can see more what you are in for, know they will be a decent hunter and the age/experience is already in them for hunting sooner. The puppy thing is fine and I have and still do it but the started dog can give you an edge in the beginning until you are confident in your ability to get one from pup to the field to do what you want. You do not have to worry about the started dog bonding to you either. They will do just fine. 6-18 months old no problem.