• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using sod for dog stains?

hoggs222

The sod won't die just because you cut it if that's what you mean... The problem with sod though, is I don't think you ever have as good of grass as seeded grass and it won't blend in with the rest of your existing grass.

My folks sodded an area around their house and then seeded the remainder of the acreage's lawn area. They wanted instant grass by the house to keep it cleaner. That's 11 years ago now and I can still show you the dividing line today as plain as I could have 10 years ago...

I have a couple of areas that I would like to use sod, just because they are high traffic (end of the stairs off of the deck). There is no way I could grow seed there with 2 dogs.

What does sod usually cost for a roll or 2?

In the future there is a product out there called GuardDog. Actually just been released to the public and is being sold at Bachmans I think. Its a little spendy but works wonders. Made by a place called TerraMax based here in the cities. I get it for free cause one of my buddies run production there, but I've been using it since it was in the developmental stages and its been working wonders to stop dog spots from happening. Totally cleared up my yard.

A lot of greenhouses sell sod in squares, say 2 feet by 2 feet as an example, for just such needs as yours. I haven't bought sod like that for awhile, but it's usually not expensive. I bought mine for under $5 per square, but that was out in N.D. several years ago.

Sod will do just fine, especially if you take the prep measures you found here. The only things I'm worried about is if you think that seed won't take in a high traffic area, I doubt sod will do any better.

If at all possible try to use an alternate entry for a couple weeks till the sod take hold. Otherwise you're just throwing money away and at least grass seed is cheaper and you can keep reapplying.

Good point. When the dogs get to the bottom of the stairs, it's like a burn out spot for them to start running! The area that needs it in high traffic is about 2x2. I could rig up some kind of wire fence (They'll probably knock it down a few times by running into it, but they'll get the picture). With newly laid sod, how often should you water it? Heavy watering once a day?

Go to Hoffman Bros on hwy 65 and 22 just bought a pallet that's 40 rolls got a deal because my buddys got a lawn service but with out his deal I think it was only 185 a roll before you lay the new sod till the area a little first then you need to water daily for a couple weeks hope this helps.

If the spot is at the bottom of your deck stairs you should put a small concrete pad say 2 x 2 of 3 x 3 and put sod aroud the edges if you still have bald spots, it would also make the bottom of the stairs look a little nicer and no big bald spot... just my 2 cents worth....