• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun shyness.... any remedies??

stpauliguy

Alright I have a 2 yr old lab and shes gun shy. I might have done the wrong thing when i had her retrieving and brought out my 9mm, (even though shes been around shotguns before). She was about year and a half when it first began. After first couple retrieves with the gun she was fine, but the 3rd or 4th time she just took off under the truck. So I went out and bought a little cap gun, (figuring not as loud). Well I had her retrieving dummies and anytime I would even grab for the gun she would crunch down afraid. By the way she is very timid and submissive. Just figure someone has a way of breaking her of it. And food doesnt work very well she just wont eat. So i'd appreciate any suggestions you got!! Thanks

Search the archive in this forum for gun shyness. You should find lots of info. At this point I might consider calling a pro trainer for advice. Have them help you make a game plan up on how to fix this. Stick to the plan and don't hurry through it. If anything go slower. Good luck.

I used an audio tape to cure my lab about 6 years ago. Not many people believed that it would work, but I've had 6 years of great pheasant hunting with her since. If you like I can send the tape with the booklet if you want to give it a try as a last resort, no charge, no guarentee!!

I have a buddy who's uncle is a professional trainer and he gave me some tips when I got my lab last year. I wish he would get on this site more often, he is registered, he's just not very computer friendly. Anyway, he said to just go for a hike with the dog out in the woods and bring your gun with. In your case, you are going to have to hide the gun from your dog before you get out there. But anyway, as you are walking along, without warning, preferrably when your dog isn't looking, fire a shot into the ground, or whatever you feel is safest for your location/situation. Do this several times. You are just trying to get the dog used to the noise and to not anticipate the shot. I wish he could explain it for you, but like I said, he doesn't log on much. I did it with my dog and she hasn't been gun shy yet. She'll jump ten feet if I drop a pen on the kitchen floor, but not when the 12 gauge goes off. Go figure! Hopefully this helps!

First off,I want to say I am not a trainer and don't really have any ideas what to do for this.I just want to a my 2 cents. It may take a lot of work,Just be patient,It should be worth it in the long run.My brother had a chocolate lab,Hunter,and that dog was great.I don't know the full details but I know my brother started with a .22 and went up from there.We used Hunter for pheasant hunts in western ND to goose hunts in centeral ND.Let me tell you,When you brought out any! gun this dog went nuts.And I mean in the good way! If you cleaned the gun(s) the lab was there with a look of glee.If you dug out a .22 for blackbirds or gophers the lab was there.Even deer hunting season he wanted to go with.I mean to tell you, if you had a gun in hand,you had a hard time not taking the lab with.One time my brother had some hunters from another state duck hunting on some his land.He notice hunter was gone and after some time he went looking for him.After the the day of hunting the hunters came over and asked if this lab was his.There was Hunter in the back of the pick-up proud as a peacock full of ducks.My brother laughed and said yes he was his.He asked where the hunters found the dog.They laughed and said the dog found them.Walked up behind them and sat there till they started to shoot.The hunters said he retrieved for them the whole time.They never got wet once.They said the dog listened intently and obeyed like he was theirs.From then on they always called and asked to hunt at my brothers and asked about hunter all the time.Well as all good things happen they come to an end.Hip displatia(sp) and old age got the best of hunter and early last winter he past away.I know my brothers wife said he took it pretty hard and he said he'll never see another hunting partner like Hunter again.Every hunting season we all think of him and miss him.

Like I said at the begininng.Be patient and you may just have the joys like this,especially if you never had a great hunting dog. Good luck