• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few things I might recommend are Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Wall Drug (although kinda lame), Spearfish canyon, Dinasour Park (in Rapid), various caves (there's several). Deadwood is a fun touristy town, with gambling for adults, and huge arcades for kids.

There is also a place called Trout Haven which I recommend. I think its like 20 minutes up in the hills from Rapid. You go and catch a trout out of this pond, and they guy will clean it and cook it for you right then and there. It's awesome and something I remember doing as a kid.

You might want to try Deerfield Lake west of Hill City. I have fished this lake numerous times with my children and now my grandkids and had great suceess and is a very good lake to fish from shore and there is a lot of shore line close to the roads for easy ccess

Horsethief is pretty good for trtout. Also check out Custer State Park as there are several good fishing areas at their picinic areas.

I also recommend doing a horse ride through the mountains. Several of the campgroounds/resorts have stables and do the rides. We used the Palmer Gulch KOA and it was a great experience. We also really enjoyed the Wind Cave National Park. They have cave tours and lots of game to see int he park. We ended up parked in the middle of a buffalo herd for a few minutes. It was a bit unnerving to be surround by such large wild animals.

Have fun.

My wife and I might head out that way later this summer as well.

Any particular parts at Custer that had good fishing? We were thinking of camping there and would like to camp close to a good lake. It sure is amazing to get stuck in a herd of buffalo as that has happened to me before too. They are huge.

There'sd a small lake at the camp area at the NW entrance a few miles off of 16 south of Hill City. I don't recall the lake name or the road number off of 16 at this monent. We didn't fish there but watch lots of them being caught while we had a picinic.

Bismark and Sylvan can offer some fantastic fishing.

I usually use 4# test hook and a small buckshot about a foot above the hook. Place a small bit of worm on the hook and let it dangle a little, and top it with one or two salmon eggs. Cast out from the tops or sides of the large rock edges and let it slowly fall to the bottom. Most times it won't get there, watch your line for the bite because most times you wont feel it.

Good Luck, Man, I can smell the pine from here!!!