• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you reverse a house broken dog??

Johnny_Namakan

My subject line is a little misleading. I recently switched from 8 hour work days to 10 hour work days. My 15 month yellow lab had no problem holding it all day during the 8 hour shifts. To the point where when I would get home she wouldn't want to go outside and relieve herself, but would rather play with me (but I wouldn't play with her until she relieved herself). Anyway, when I switched to the ten hour days (11 hours if you count travel time) I figured it was time for an outdoor kennel where she could relieve herself whenever she needed. I bought a nice big 10' x 10' kennel to give her plenty of space to do whatever. She's been in the kennel for two weeks now, and everytime I get home the kennel is clean and she didn't "go". How do I get her to understand it's o.k. to go in the kennel? I know labs, most dogs for that matter, like to keep "their space" clean. But with 100 square foot kennel I would think she would have plenty of room to have a portion of it as her bathroom. When I get home and let her out she runs outside the kennel and does her business. It's funny, because she'll go beside her kennel on the outside, but not on the inside. The kennel is right on the ground too, so it's not like it's a different surface type. Should I place a couple "land mines" in the kennel with her to show her it's o.k., or would that not work? Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about it. That's not uncommon. I have a buddy who has a golden that hasn't made a #2 in it's kennel in the 5 years he's had it, and it's a 6x12 kennel. I had a golden that would do his duty in one little corner of the kennel, and my dad had a lab that would spread it out over the entire kennel, then walk in it constantly.

My dog has the same situation, but I now realize it is a blessing. I never have to clean out his kennel. Like someone else stated, if the dog really has to go - it will go. He did have a couple instances where he was having "issues" and he just went because he could not hold it. Aside from that he never goes in his kennel. He does not even pee when in his kennel.

Earlier I tried placing some of his feces in his kennel. It did not work.

My GSP was the same way. when we moved into the new house he was not allowed in it when we aren't home, not like the last house. I ended up putting in the Mercedes of kennels for him. I have a 6 X 12 cemented slab on the outside of me garage. next to that, I bought more kennel pannels and did a 6 X 12 patch of grass. then I put a hole in my garage, put a doggy door in and he has about 5 X 10 in the insulated garage for those cold winter days. my kids aren't even that spoiled!!! he would never go in his kennels either, which were usually cement. that's why I extended his new kennel around the corner of the garage and put in nice grass. He goes in it, but not as often as I'd like with the work and money i put into it!!!

If you do want him/her to start going in the kennel, when I trained my dog, I bought these "lauch pads" that must carry some odor that makes dogs want to go on it. I don't know if this will work in your situation, but I can vouch that these things do work. Not sure how to explain what they look like... blue border, cotton (white) middle, about 3' X 3'? I am sure any pet store would know what you were talking about if you asked.

I might have to try that. Except up here in Virginia we don't have pet stores. smile.gif We used to have a little one in town with a couple birds and some fish, but it's gone now. I might have to have my brother stop for me on his way up some weekend. Do you have to replace them after awhile or is it a one time purchase type of thing?