• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crex Meadows Wildflowers (pics)

Hi all! Went to Crex Meadows to test out my 1.4x extender that I purchased to go on my 70-200mm L lens. Took some wildflower and bird pics. I'll post the birds over in the other forum. Hope you enjoy.

Trillium (not sure which one)

img0001217gp.jpg

Wild Columbine

img00435ke.jpg

Lupine

img00402pe.jpg

Unidentified (Could use a little help!)

img00023mz.jpg

all nice!...mcary!......I think your "unidentified" last image is a "wild geranium"......and the trillium species appears to be a "large flowered trillium"....I have yet to see that species up here.......the flower on the "large flowered" is above the leaves...on the nodding species,the flower is underneath the 3 leaves....jonny grin.gif

I concur with Jonny on the species. We only have nodding trillium up here in the boreal forest — at least it's the only trillium I've been able to find so far. More good work, Michael. Is your 70-200L the f2.8? And if so, with the 1.4 were you shooting wide open at f4? I most always try to shoot wide open when the flower images are to be closeups, and then work the ensure the background is far enough away to disappear into the buttery bokeh. Mostly, I try to find dark backgrounds without distracting elements. My 100-400 only goes to f5.6 at 400mm, so that leaves me with some pretty demanding circumstances. Canon's fine 100mm macro is on my list. Meanwhile, I'm not above taking a couple dark camo garments along to set up as backdrops for flowers. They can work very well.

I appreciate the compliments guys (especially having seen the excellent work you all do). For Steve, my lens is actually the F/4.0 so I am shooting at a 5.6 with the 1.4x extender. I'm not at home right now so I can't confidently tell you whether I was shooting wide open or not. I'll have to confirm that for you later. Thanks again.