• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkeys with a bow in a blind?

I hunt turkeys with a shotgun but I'm thinking I would like to try a bow I've bow hunted deer last 2 years without the right shot yet (trying to be cautious a clean kill). I've shot 6 birds with a gun but all but 1 was 30-50 yards away the 1 that was close was 20-25 yards away. I know a bowhunter should use a blind I've shot 1 bird out of the blind this year and that was 45yds. How are you bowhunters getting these birds into say anthing under 35yds. I know about decoys and calling etc. Is there any other tricks I want to shoot 1 with a bow but don't want to waste my tag if I can't get them into range.

I hunted for the first time with a bow this year and had 2 jakes come in at 20 yds and a Tom about 20 minutes later at 20 yds. I had 1 window open and it didn't bother them a bit. I put the decoy about 20 yds out facing me. Make sure you set up with the sun to your back and try to get in some shade. It can get hot in them blinds when the sun hits.

Neiko has got it.You can call and have birds come into your decoys if the set-up is right.Those birds will walk right along side your blind.I shot my bow turkey 2 years ago at 10 yards and it might have got closer but I had a killing shot.

i've managed 2 in the past 2 years from the blind. one year i had my blind on the edge of a grove, under a drooping tree branch, and camo'd it a bit. decoys at 15 yds. but last spring i was out in the middle of a field, exposed as ever. had 4 jakes rush my decoys. they are not afraid of the blinds at all. i was very hesitant of setting up in the open like that, but it worked.

also, use the largest diameter broadhead you can find. inflict the most damage you can in that shot. my first one just dumped, but the second one i shot (through the chest) took quite a while to expire. it's a good thing you've waited for the right shot at a deer. even more so with a smaller target of the turk.

you think buck fever is bad? wait til you get a group of 9 turks start to slowly work their way towards you in your blind! 3 pecking at the ground, and the rest looking for predators...

good luck!