• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon FE

Just a question for you camera guys. I have a Nikon FE camera that has had very few rolls of film through it. I'm not much of a photographer, so for ease of use I've succumed to the digital age and bought a digital camera instead. I'm thinking of selling this one but have no idea what to ask for it. I have the original manual, and it only has the standard lens, but I have a Hanimex computer flash for it too. Is there any websites that give a value for something like this, or am I better off taking it to a camera shop for an appraisal? Thanks guys

I'd do a search on hsolist and see what they're going for. hsolist is a total seller's market, with people often paying way too much for what they get, so prices you see there could be a good indication. Doesn't mean you have to go through all the rigamarole to sign up and actually sell the camera there, just a good reference to use if you're putting an add in the paper or wherever.

You could also call National Camera in the Cities and say you're looking at a used Nikon FE that seems to be in mint condition, and what's the most you should pay for it?

I did a quick search on eek bay and found bodies selling for between $80-$150. You can bring it to National Camera and they will tell you what a trade-in is worth. I don't recall if they take a straight trade, but if you were buying (sounds like you have a camera) they would deduct that from your purchase.

There are a few price guides on line but you will have to pay something to get an appraisal. Eeek bay is probably you best answer for free. Look under buy it nows, as well as completed auctions and you will have a good idea what the market value is. Good luck.

Whoops, Steve beat me to it.

Dan

I had a buddy whom I talked into going digital. His reluctance was that he had a bunch of Zeiss manual lens, some of them very nice prime as well as a very nice Contax body. He took it to National Camera Exchange to see about trade. The guy was very apologetic when he priced it out saying he could only offer what he could sell it for, not what it was worth.....and that was a big difference. So many are trading in film stuff that the market is saturated. However if you have god stuff you may get something for it on hsolist. In my buddies case, he put up an add on a bulletin board at the one of the better film processing places in the twin cities and was able to sell it all at something less than what it was worth but not a total insult.

Thanks for the ideas guys. The camera really does take great pictures but I just don't use it enough to get comfortable with it. I have to think too much before the shot and usually miss the one I wanted. I'm already spoiled by the digital in that I can see the finished product right away, save it or delete and retake if necessary.

Why not just keep it? I went to digital SLR the past year and love it. I kept my 25 year old film SLR cause I didn't want to give it away. I still find myself taking a few shots with it. It continues to take fantastic pictures and it's fun to compare the results. Plus it makes a good back up.