• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Macro you Say? (photos)

Very nice macro images Tom. Number 1 and 3 are my favorites. I asked Steve what he uses in another post, might I also ask what lens you use for macro work?

wonderful macros Tom!....I'm with you on the macro thing....a whole new world!....seeing these little guys on the computer screen blown up gives a person a chance to really see how these insects and flowers are put together....and just plain fun.......... grin.gifjonny

Beautiful work Tom! Love macros. Sometimes the smallest things are the most interesting. I guess I'll have to add a macro lens to the wish list. grin.gif Are those tripod mounted or handheld? What's the focal length, max aperture and scale ratio for your lens?

Jonny,

I too am becoming more and more fascinated with macro work. These are actually, not blown up at all--I think one of them has about a 30% crop, but other than that one, I think they are all less than 10% crops.

DBL,

These were shot with my 60mm Micro Nikkor 2.8 lens. It's a fantastic lens, especially for it's low cost, but it does leave one working at rather close distances. I was within four inches of each one of those subjects. I see myself buying a longer macro lens in the near future, but I want my 600mm first. I shot all but one of those on Thursday with the D2X, but I'm finding that I really like my D70 for the macro work. It's lighter, and the small on camera flash works great. The SB-800 on the X is just too much for a 4 inch working distance.

Thanks, for the compliments guys.

Tom W

Steve, those are actually the blossoms off of my Plum tree. Thanks for the compliment as well.

Mcary, These were all shot handheld at various aperture settings. I don't believe that any of them are at less than F11. As a matter of fact I think I was either at F13 or F16. The increased DOF is necessary for this type of work, but I think you might already know that. THese were taken with my 60mm micro nikkor.

Tom W

Tom...being a total "novice" with the macro thing in that I only started taking these really close "close-ups" since last june (or even later)..I was noticing that most of your close ups were around 4" or so....holy moly!...most of mine have been around 1" (1/2" many times)or close to it! shocked.gif..even touch the insect with the barrel of the lens ....here I thought that was "normal"..lol!(hey ..I have nothing to compare it to)...my new fuji has a wide angle telephoto lens and it "takes in" more of the field even at being super close to a subject..so close that the lens protector blocks out the sun or shaded the subject(not good ,no)....got to the point where I was worried that I may aggevating the wasp or bumble bee!.... grin.gif....at any rate....I'm certainly still learning grin.gif.......and always will no doubt.........love your pics!..the colors and composition and just the way you put these photos together are great on this yellow jacket(hornet).......I'm looking forward to see what nature offers me this year in the macro world!......test my camera to see how close I can really get and still get good results......jonny grin.gif

Sheesh, Tom, I should have known that was a plum. All my days selling nursery trees in the greenhouse and I blew an ID from Horticulture 101! grin.gif

I hear you on upgrading the macro. Canon makes a 60mm, 100mm and a newer 180mm macro. I'd love the 180 for all the working distance it provides, but probably will settle for the 100, which is just barely possible on my budget. And with a set of extension tubes, it'll be a good setup.

Jonny, you'll have a blast with macro. It's a whole new way of looking at the world.

Tom and Steve got me "pumped" now on the macro thing grin.gif...you know,after a year of taking photos(well maybe closer to 2 years) ...I really think my "thing" is in the macro territory.....After going through my hundreds of photos ,I've noticed that a high percentage "are " macros......so..here's a few of my so called better ones from last summer(first one is from a week or so ago) of some butterflies ...can hardly wait to start seeing some of these little guys.guess I have seen a few this year ....I realize that most of my photos are on the "high end" colorwise ...just my preference I guess...kinda developing a "style".... grin.gifjonny

cloak2-1-1.jpg

monarch2copy.jpg

milbertstortoiseshellongoldenrod.jpg

copy2.jpg

DSCF3223-1-1copy.jpg

DSCF3208-2.jpg

DSCF3385copycopy2.jpg

Jonny, nice stuff. Love those monarchs, and of course your rendering of one of those images into a grayscale background surrounding the color subject is very nice, as always.

The only one that looks oversaturated is the first (mourning cloak?). Only real telltale there is the reds in the main part of the wings and the very blue shadows on the ground behind the butterfly. And, of course, that's just me. And I've also been known to saturate on occasion. grin.gif

yuppers!.I noticed that also...the blue on the leaves...a "no no".....lol!....I probably should have let the original speak for itself...but I had to go and "screw around with it". in photo shop....sometimes things are better left alone....I'm learnin! tongue.gif jonny