• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping fish in spring

Luck e 1

I posted this elsewhere, but thought I would throw it out there.

Now that the ice is off, and the fish come in shallow to spawn... lets remember that nice sized crappies, and gills can be hard to come by. (I hope I don't sounds like a tree hugger). For the record...I like to eat fish as well and don't care that people take fish for a meal.

Also, what do people think about keeping fish that are spawning (or soon will be)? I personally like to let them finish their business.

I try not to keep spawning fish. Usually during the spawn I'm primarily a catch-and-release guy. During the spawn is one of the times when the big fish are the most vulnerable. They are there to help preserve the lake and to reproduce, and they have to do what they do in order to keep things productive in the future. I don't like knowing that I'm the one stopping them (and the lake) from doing that...

I see many people keep fish when they are in the spawning mode,I for one will not keep any fish that is spawning.I understand that when you purchase your license its you right to keep any fish that is legal,but lets all use some common sense and throw back some of those big hogs,and let them reproduce.

I agree, however, what's the difference if you keep the fish in December?? You removed that fish. It doesn't matter if you kept it in July, or April of the following year, you still kept that fish from spawning another year.

I know what you guys are getting at, but the big pans should be thrown back no matter what time of year it is.

Quote:

I agree, however, what's the difference if you keep the fish in December?? You removed that fish. It doesn't matter if you kept it in July, or April of the following year, you still kept that fish from spawning another year.

I know what you guys are getting at, but the big pans should be thrown back no matter what time of year it is.

Blackduck,

I agree with you, but the only thing is when panfish are in spawn you can pluck them out of the water as easy as you can pluck apples out of an apple tree.Most other times you still have to look for pannies,and that still makes it somewhat more sporting.

In my area alot of these so called sportsmen can't wait till the spawn season, so they can fill there buckets full of huge panfish.In my opinion,I don't classify that to be very sporting. Im not a tree hugger or anything like that by any means,even though I C&R most of the fish I catch.

I do enjoy a good meal of fish every now and then,the thing is I only keep the big ones if they are gut hooked,or if I know they wont survive if I were to throw them back.

I'll admit that I keep some fish during the spawn. But then agan I practice selective harvest at all times of the year. Meaning I only keep a few, never a limit, I never fill a possession limit, even if im fishing all week, and I select certain fish(i.e. no big old mamas). Even if I slaughter the fish a certain day, I'll probably only have about 4 gills and a couple crappies in the bucket.

On thing about the spawning season it is usually easy to tell male crappies from females. Release all the females especially the bigger ones. If I am keeping crappies I keep the 8" size or so and release any "bulging belly" fish no matter the size. Minnetonka can produce a lot of 8" crappies. I do not fish bluegills on the beds. Not sporting IMO. Same with bass.

No, because they are not spawning! I see this all the time that panfish that school up in the shallows after iceout are spawning. it is just not so! Crappies usually spawn in late may around the same time as largemouth bass , on reeds, or weedy flats with hard bottom,in the main lake usually, not on the softbottom bays where they go at iceout to feed on bugs and minnows that are active in the warmer waters. Bluegills and other sunfish can be spawning anytime from late may to early july, so I don't think closing the spring season protect spawning fish. The best thing to do is release the bigger fish in all seasons, and keep the smaller more abundant fish...

I for one will keep a few fish for the pan if I'm hungry for them. I make every attempt to only keep the mid-sized 'gills and crappies, and make every attempt to keep only the males. I am not afraid to admit though from time to time I'll have a female in the mix, but only because I was unable to determine it was a female. Most of the time females are noticable with their larger bellies around spawning time. I don't take a limit home, but I will take a few fish for the pan for dinner that evening. Usually though I'm fishing for walleye, and if I've kept one of those, I'm not taking panfish (although I will fish for them because they're so darn fun). If I'm hungry for a meal of fish and don't get a keeper walleye, I'll try and find a few panfish for dinner that night....either 4 or 5 sunnies, or 2 crappies (if I'm "lucky" enough to find and catch a crappie). The only ones in my household that eat fish are myself and my 2 1/2 year old boy, so I don't need to take home all that many (he can really put the fish down though! smile.gif)

Hope I'm not frowned upon for keeping a few, but I'm not afraid to admit that, and I do make every attempt to be selective and to only keep the mid-size males and allow the big bulls and females do their thing.

My .02.

I honestly don't think that it would make a big difference. Because has anyone caught fish in the fall or midwitnter that already have eggs? I know i sure have. Yes the fish to become more aggressive during the spawn but if you practice selected harvest there shouldn't be a problem. The DNR has limits for a reason an each fisherman is entilted to his own but it's the people that bring everyone they know when the fish are bitting and then they tell everyone they know before long it's half the county out fishing and keeping to many fish. Also i don't a possition limit has that much meaning to everyone. The DNR could be doing a little better job than i think they do. I fish alot year round probably 3 or more time a week and i've only been checked twice.

Quote:

Don't gills spawn several times a year? If the conditions are right.

The female gills will spawn with mulitple males in different beds, but once all the eggs are out, they are done till next year because it takes a year for the new eggs to develope.

Gills in different lakes or even in the same lake will spawn at different times of the spring/summer too, so the "spawn" can last to almost 2 months.

I'm not against keeping a very few fish when they are spawning, but what really drives me nuts is the good old boys that are out there day after day yanking limits off the beds and then brag them up like it's some big accomplishment. It's like taking candy from a baby and I consider it lake-raping.

If a fish is obviously about to spawn or is on its nest, I don't think it is sporting keep them, because they are in the act of reproducing. They made it that far let them protect their young for a few weeks.

That said, I don't have a problem keeping some fish while they move up shallow to feed early in the year, kept 16 sunnies today for two guys, easily could have filled out but 8 is enough for a meal for each of our familys. I do not believe and never will that it "is bad for fishing to keep fish" Yes the main reason I am out there is to enjoy myself, but I enjoy eating fish, and with out some being taken from the lake selectivly, there will be lots of stunted fish in the future.

Quote:

but what really drives me nuts is the good old boys that are out there day after day yanking limits off the beds and then brag them up like it's some big accomplishment.

Well the good news is chances are those good ole boys...arn't catching too many fish during the summer when you actually have to work for em. I rarely keep fish anymore not due to any enviromentel concerns...more because I'm really lazy and tend to fish really late and dont feel like cleaning when I get home. However when I do get the craving I'll keep some for a meal or two. I've been fishing a few times this spring and could have kept multiple limits...havn't kept one. If I happen to catch some around the time of spawn and have that craving...I'm going to keep some and chances are if I post that on this site I will immidiately be lambasted with negative rhetoric about my unethical behavior. If I want to subject myself to self rightous babble I'll spend more time at church. The facts are I dont keep that many fish, I'm sure I'm not the only one, so lets not be so quick to pass judgement. I'm going fishing tomorrow..and I'm feeling alittle hungry.

Did you read my post? I said that I don't have a problem with someone keeping a few. I said that when guys are out there every day when they are spawning and yanking limits every time, sometimes twice a day, that is hard on them and any fool with a hook and line can do it.

I never said it was bad to keep a few, but to go out to the beds day after day after day and slaughter those fish when it's that easy is bull IMO.

I wouldn't lamblast you for keeping some, it's the guys that keep limits every day until you clean them off the beds that I have a problem with.

I myself have had it with the self rightous CPR every single fish you catch guys too.

I don't have issues with people keeping fish in spring.. you got to trust that the DNR has set the limits to numbers that won't clean out lakes... (I hope anyway...)

But, I also think people should keep their appetites in check until the fish are done reproducing... obviously lakes need babies to keep populations strong... go to Cub and get some food!

Then again, I am no fish biologist.. so I don't know how important C&R is... but I have to imagine that the pressure on metro lakes is much greater than that on rural lakes and every year the metro lakes get more crowded.

I DO cringe though when anglers say "we got our limit in 2 hours" or whatever.. I do hope they are not KEEPING 10-20 fish.. but rather that means they CAUGHT that many fish... I hope they are keeping a meal of fish and not a limit every day! I am still trying to catch ONE crappie for me and the kids.