• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hi Harvey,

I have hunted elk many times in Colorado. Cow tags run $250, bull tags 450 or 475 I think.

There are vast tracts of public land to hunt, and that is what we do. Specifically, we hunt the White River National Forest, north of Glenwood Springs. We camp on National Forest lands, and the camping is free in our area. We do ok, I guess, about a 20-30% success ratio. These elk are pushed hard all fall long, so the are a challenge to get close to and pure luck plays a large part sometimes.

Private land hunts probably have better success, but are more costly of course.

The state is divided up into game units, and some units are harder to get tags in than others. The Colorado DOW has an excellent HSOforum with lots of information on big game hunting.

You are too late for this year unless you want to go over the counter for leftover tags Lee. The application deadline was Tuesay April 4, 2006 and the cost is up to $495 for a bull tag for non-residents and then another $1 in surcharges adn $3 for the preference point, that's all you don't get refunded if you don't get drawn is the $3. You are going to need some points to get in anywhere good too...

I've been trying to get there for three years and haven't gotten in yet. First year we were late like you and went for over the counter leftover tags and they sold out before we called. Then we applied to a better area and didn't get drawn last year. This year they told us maybe a 50/50 chance of drawing in our area with only 1 preference point. Mule deer in this same area takes like 6 preference pionts...

Am I missing something or maybe things are a little mixed up. ( maybe it's me !! )

I believe Bull tags are available over the counter in all of Colorado, just like buck tags in Mn. Are there areas where you have to draw for a Bull?

If you want a Cow, you have to draw, they use to have either sex areas, I'm not sure if they do anymore.

I put in my app last Tues. for a buck Mulie, I've got 3 points, so in our area, I should be on the fast track to a tag for this fall. It's been a couple years so I am anxious to get back, think I will pick up a Bull tag too, just incase.

Mike

You still can buy Bull tags over the counter, there are a couple of areas that are draw only. You can also buy any leftover tags after the drawing. I think they are available sometime in July.

We have a lot of very good area's still open that you can still buy an over-the-counter bull tag. We have set up a better licensing system a few years ago to give everyone a better chance at some quality hunting. Of coarse some of the best area's are set aside for HUGE bulls and are draw only. (Hope my kids draw one of those!)

Any there are left-over tags available at the DOW offices one day before they go on-line!

Just recieved those dates; leftover elk/deer July 19th. cool.gif