• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie lures for URL open water

styx

We will be fishing URL around the opener for for the first time. ANy suggestions on artificial lures. Bringing my young son and would prefer not to have the hand in the minnow bucket too much. I have a few tubes, beetle spins, road runners but looking to add a few things to try. Please be as specific as possible since I can't seem to leave the tackle shop without buying way too much this spring. Thanks guys

For many years we have had good luck with a Northland Thumper jig with a Northland rootbeer/orange colored tube type plastic. Use it with a slip bobber, works for all the species that are in the lake. If you are catching mostly drum move up a foot or so. Good luck, have fun

We've done well on tubes(hot pink and white has been good), #6 ratsos in white, Mr. Twisters and the roadrunners have been good too. We've also done well on the tiny assassins work well too.

I'll have to throw in the Power Minnow as a good option. Try the 2" and 3" for those Slabs! They come in a good variety of colors but a good all around one is the Smelt pattern. Fish them on a 1/16oz or larger jighead depending of your fishing situations.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Power minnows are a solid choice when used with a 1/16 oz jig. Another bait that really seems to shine is the worm style baits like power worms or the little guys that have the "bungee tail". I like to pinch off the plastic just above the start of the action part of the tail and use that on a small stand up style jig. Pull it off the bottom and use a pendulum retrieve or lift the rod tip and hold it until the bait swings back to the bottom. Something about contacting the sand bottom really ticks off those Red Lake Crappies.