• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moose Walk/Run & Red Dot Trails

Neiko

We are trying to plan a ride upthere on the weekend of May 20,21 and was wondering if people think the trails will be open by then? We have never been riding upthere and are looking forward to this area. Does anyone know if there are any mud holes to get dirty in around there or does most of it run off?

It is "supposed" to open the 15th of May but its all about how wet the ground is. It sometimes seems kind of confusing when they are posting fire bans at the same time trails are closed for wet conditions. (Like last spring) That particular area had some pretty heavy snow this winter especially around the north end of the area (Finland)so it may be iffy. There are some puddles, not much last fall when I was there though. Not much for challenge but the scenery is really nice, especially on the Red Dot where you can see Superior from the overlooks. There is also one really nice spot on the Moose that overlooks a huge valley. This one has about a 200 foot vertical drop just beyond the shelter. Nice place to stop for lunch.

Last year I went up there around June 1 and the MooseWalk/Run was still closed (too wet). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe MooseWalk/Run trail did not open till June 15th. We were only able to ride the Reddot trails. Check DNR HSOforum for trail closings. I believe they update them every Thursday.

A good guy to get an estimate from would be Leroy Teschendorf who owns Wildhurst Campground a couple miles NW of Finland. Trail runs through his camp and he helped get it designated for ATV's. He has a HSOforum. Great place to camp, very friendly owners. Have stayed there 3 years now. We rode the Moose trails one day and trailered to Silver Bay to ride the Red Dot.

We only trailered cause it's a long day in the saddle if your sightseeing. My daughter wasn't up to it. I darn near got sick I ate so many raspberries along the way. grin.gif