• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We've decided to head to Platte because

(A) we know where to hide from the wind because we've fished there several times in the past

(B) it sounds like the fish aren't biting at Yankton

© we've never fished the river north of Platte, including Chamberlain, Fort Thompson and Pierre, and so we wouldn't know how to adapt to windy conditions at these places.

(D) the further north on the river we fish, the further the drive for us

(E) and finally.... because the forecasted wind seems to be all over the charts, anywhere from 5mph on one forecast to 30mph on a different forecast. mad.gif We'd prefer much less wind if we were going to fish an area of the river for the first time.

So... has anyone heard anything about the walleye bite, or lack thereof, at Platte?

Wad: I just spoke with my father who was coming home from opening up his trailer at Platte Creek. He said Denny at the bait shop has been getting reports of alot of limits coming in with very nice fish. They are catching them on the points on the main river, he didnt specify depth. His brother in law was out two nights ago and had to throw back four over 18"

He also reported very little pressure which has been good for the fishing.

Good luck and dont blow away!!

We had to work for them, but nice fish were there to be caught. We ended up taking home 3 fish between 16" and 19".

It was a good time, and I think we'll probably head back to the river again in a couple of weeks.

Wad: Was the fishing conditions tough or was the bite just that tough? I am leaving early tom and traveling to Sioux Falls I can check your reply there. Would you suggest Crow Creek? Did you here any reports about the fishing up there.

That is the only other bite besides Pierre that I have heard and am having a hard time making up my mind which direction to go tom.

If the weather is nice I guess it doesnt matter, just as long as the kids and I get to drown some minnows.

Thanks Dean

The conditions weren't that bad. We hung around in Platte Creek during the early afternoon hours when the wind was really blowing. Prior to and after that, we fished the main lake quite a bit.

The wind blew off and on all day, but it never rained and I actually got a little sunburn on my face.