• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This weekend I found myself in Pierre on another last minute trip. It has been a long time since I fished with one of my old college buddies and even though it has been a while since we fish togather it was just like I remembered. Laughs and fish are almost always the case when we hit the water. We were also joined by Jdbigeye's roomate Preston.

We hit the water midmorning and were greeted with gusting winds, but it did'nt take long to get the first 'eye in the boat. But an hour long dry spell put a glint of doubt on our expectations. Me had to mix it up a bit and make some adjustment to the current and wind and once we cracked the walleye code, the bite was on. Here is Preston and I with a couple of typical fish for the trip.

preston1.jpg

me.jpg

By late morning JD bigeye was hooked into a big one that he claims was "Staying Down Like a Crappie" confused.gif It was no crappie and in fact was the largest walleye of the day.

These 22 inch prespawn eyes are just beautiful.

PierreSD002josh.jpg

The day's excitment never ended because it was just after that I had hooked a good sized fish but it was not fighting like a walleye (or a crappie grin.gif). It turned out to be a this cute little sturgeon.

mesturgeon.jpg

by days end we boated approximatly 30 walleyes falling within the 15 to 20 inch range.

We then were greeted with biting walleye once again on Sunday where we fished in the gail force winds until 11:00. Not with out boating a few more walleyes and sauger though.

I also want to remind folks to practice selective harvest if venture out to the river. Here is Preston releasing one of the many egg filled females we caught and released.

prestonsrelease.jpg

The fish are biting throughout the Missourri River right now so if you were thinking about a trip, right now is the time to do it.

Good luck to all who venture out!

mw

Very nice fish Mike! This gets me more excited to get out there this weekend. Any word on Platte, Chamberlain, or Ft. Thompson?

I would prefer to fish Platte. I've never fished either Chamberlain or Ft. Thompson before. Chamberlain is an hour further drive than Platte for me, Ft Thompson is a little further, and Pierre is further still. But I want to go where the active walleyes are. Makes more sense to spend the extra hour driving to active fish than to spend the extra hour floating in a boat on the dead sea someplace else.

Mike: Great Pics, I will be heading there in a week and a half and can hardly wait to do my first long poling of the year.

Wadinator: This time of year at Platte I like to hit the creeks Like Platte creek or Peas creek. Usually the water in these are warmer than in the channel and you will find the bigger concentrations of fish that are more willing to bite. Work the points and humps in these and you should do fine.

The turkeys should be about in the mood to start giving shows on the hillsides also and that is always a plus.

Quote:

Mike: ...and can hardly wait to do my first long poling of the year.

Last weekend I got my long poles ready for the year. They definitely felt awkward and looked HUGE after holding ice rods for the past several months.

I'm seriously anxious to get out this weekend. Good tip about the warmer water in the streams. Thanks!

Awesome report MW,

Great tip/point on the selective harvest.

I'm heading out tonight in search of a trophy sized eye out of the mighty mississippi, for CPR. Catch Photograph, and release!

Nice Strugeon, but I sure hope the Sturgeon Excursion has some larger fish to offer. Can't wait!