• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We are planning a trip through the black hills and the badlands on our way to wyoming. Looking for some good camping spots that are a little more secluded any info would be greatly appreciated

A favorite of mine is Sylvan Lake. Its a awesome place to camp, its secluded and best of all, its the starting point of the hiking trail to Harney Peak, the tallest point in the state of South Dakota. Its elevation is 7,242 ft and is the second highest point in North America east of the Rocky Mountains. Take a look I promise you wont be dissapointed. Its a fairly good hike, gonna take you a good part of the day. Its not a hard hike, just about 3miles. For the average person I would say if you left at 9am, you would probably get back around 2 in the afternoon. Of course thats with taking a few breaks to look at the scenery etc, and most importantly enjoy the view from the top.

There are also several horse stables nearby that do horse rides on the trails up to and around Harney. It's a great expereince as well seeing from the back of a horse.