• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing Buddies

Lost

Question

Since I'm new to this whole boat/trailer thing, I'm wondering how in the world I would install some bearing buddies. I've never messed with bearings before and everybody has suggested I use the bearing buddies.

7 answers to this question

They are the easiest thing to put on. First you have to get the right size. Then simply take the dust cover off the hubs and hold the bearing buddy in place. Use a piece of wood as a buffer and then tap in with a mallet or hammer. Get a high quality marine bearing greese and pump them up. I like to fill the buddies with greese before tapping them on to reduce the amount of air that has to be pushed out.

If you keep your bearings serviced and regularly inspected, you don't need Bearing Buddies.

Inexperienced Bearing Buddies users have put too much grease pressure in the cap and forced out the back bearing seal. When this happens, the grease spins out and you risk severe damage.

[This message has been edited by IFallsRon (edited 06-24-2004).]

I use cross drilled spindles but bearing buddies are usually a good thing IMO. When the spring starts to move, a couple more pumps is sufficient. I've never pushed out a seal but Ron's correct, it can happen if you aren't careful.

Lost

I guess we really did not answer your question did we? Bearing buddies replace the tin outer caps on your hubs. They literally install in a couple minutes with simple tools. BBs do not replace the bearings you have now. If none of the guys here live close, somebody at a marine store would probably describe the install to you. They'll only cost a little more from a dealer. A small automotive repair shop would also install them for cheap.

Even with BBs, it's a very good idea to clean and inspect your bearings occasionally. I do it every few years. Depends how often you launch your boat. I have never found any damage, but water could conceivably sneak in past a bad seal. The theory behind a BB is the fresh grease forces out the moisture than can seep past your wheel seals if they don't seal perfectly.