• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab passed away unexpectedly. Needed a place to turn.

CMHUNTER

I'm kind of having hard time since my hunting buddy of nine years passed away unexpectedly. Figured I could come here for some support. Saturday afternoon about 2:30 my dog was going about his business in the back yard barking at the neihbor dogs hopping at the back gate with my other 6 year old lab. About 5:30 went to let the dogs in the house for supper and notice the oldest dog, who's name was Radar, was walking slow but nothing really out of the ordinary kind of like when he has been stiff from a days hunt. He refused supper but he has done this in the past so I wasn't to alarmed. My wife is a vet tech. and she gave him a look over and couldn't really tell that anything serious was wrong. He wasn't overweight, kept in pretty good condition and he was just into the Vet not three weeks ago and showed no symptoms of anything. Kept checking on Radar the rest of the night, seemed alert and perked his head up just slow at getting up. Last seen him around 11:30 that night called his name and he walked right over to me and I patted him on the head and wished him good night and then I went to bed. The next morning I got up went downstairs to see him and there he was not even a foot from where I last touched him, he had laid right next to Riley my other black lab. Radar, Riley and I were a great team together. We had many great years of hunting ducks, geese, pheasants and grouse together and I thought we had a few more years left together he will be missed greatly by me and my family. Next fall just won't be the same for Riley and I. Sorry this is so long but not everybody understands what it is like to lose a great hunting buddy he was part of my family, I know everybody here can understand what we are going through.

I'm sure there is not one of us that hasn't lost a good friend like Radar. It doesn't make it any easier to take, but I hope you can hold onto the good memories and turn them into helping you cope with your loss.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. I went through the same thing last fall with my best friend, and it has been tough to say the least. I was lucky in that I have lots of pictures of my best friend, and there is hardly a day that passes that I am not on the computer looking, laughing, and yep crying. I can always be thankful of being blessed with the oppritunity to have such a dog. He had his quirks, but they were minimal compared to his strengths. Especially his desire to please and be the best boy he could. I still find myself turning around and expecting Boom to be standing by my side. I can't offer anything to relieve the pain of your loss, but I can say you were very lucky to be able to have Radar for nine gifted years. Good luck to you, and give Riley a pat on the head for me! The day will come, and you will all three hunt together again.

WS

I can feel your pain.I lost one of my best freinds a year and a half back,and it still hurts when i think about her.It's definatly like losing one of the family.

I had her for 9 1/2 short years.Had to put her down only one week after she showed any signs of there being something wrong.She had developed a hole in her pancreous that couldn't be fixed.Only good thing i can say in the way that you lost your dog is at least you didn't have to put him down yourself.It is one terrible feeling to have to do that.This is bringing a tear to my eye as I write this.

Lord knows that you cann't replace him,but at least you have some great memories of him that will live with you the rest of your life.If you believe in Heaven,he will be there waiting for you because how can there be a Heaven with out our dogs.

I haven't lost a dog in a long time since I haven't had a dog up until recently... but I still recall the pain you feel from putting our family dog down about 7 years ago...

Remember all the good memories.. and know that he's in a better place now...

marine_man

Sorry to hear about your loss. It sure is nice to know the rest of us feel like you do about our dogs/members of the family. We all love our dogs SO MUCH! The problem is, they don't live long enough.

I hope your sad feelings go away soon. Just keep remembering the funny things Radar did. The goofy stuff that made you laugh.

My thoughts are with you as well my friend. Just remember Radar is in heavan now along with all of our other beloved pets. They have miles to run and plenty of birds to chase there.

My sister just had to put down her lab/springer mix a couple weeks ago and he's about the same age as my lab. This has been on my mind a lot lately... Her little boy Jack told her not to worry because Bo was in heavan and he would be real happy there. Kids and pets, they are just great!!!!!

A DOGS PRAYER

Treat me kindly my beloved master...for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine....Do not break my spirit with a stick...for though I should lick your hand between the blows...your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do...Speak to me often...for your voice is the world's sweetest music...as you know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear...When it is cold and wet...please take me inside...for I am now a domesticated animal...no longer used to bitter elements...And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth....Though you had no home....I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land...for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper...Keep my pan filled with fresh water ...for although I should not reproach you were it dry...I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst...Feed me clean food...that I may stay well...to romp and play and do your bidding...to walk by your side...and stay ready. Willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger....And....My beloved master...should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight....do not turn me away from you....Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest....and i will leave you knowing with the last breath i drew...my fate was ever safest in your hands............................DOGS DON’T HAVE SOULS?...DO THEY?........I remember bringing you home...You were so small with your tiny paws and soft fur...You bounced around the room with your eyes flashing and ears flopping...Once in awhile you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory...Making a mess of the house and chewing everything in sight became a passion....and when i scolded you...you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say....I’m sorry...but I’ll do it again as soon as you're not watching...As you got older....you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by...When i had a tough day at work...you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say..."Welcome home...I missed you"...You never had a bad day and i could always count on you to be there for me...When i sat down to read the paper and watch TV...you would hop on my lap looking for attention...You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg...As you got older...you moved around more slowly...Then...one day...old age finally took its toll...and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore...I knelt down and patted you lying there...trying to make you young again...You just looked up at me as if to say... you were old and tired and after all these years of not asking for anything...you had to ask me for one last favor...With tears in my eyes...I drove you one last time to the vet...One last time...you were lying next to me...For some strange reason...you were able to stand up in the animal hospital...perhaps it was your sense of pride...As the vet led you away....you stopped for an instant...turned your head...and looked at me as if to say..."Thank you for taking care of me"....I thought...."NO , Thank you for taking care of me"...........

I can understand where you are coming from. We have had several great dogs(working on #3) and when they are gone you really miss them. Most of the time they literally become part of the family. Our last dog past away 5 years ago and I still miss her, not as bad as at 1st but still do. They really get in there and attach themselves to our hearts don't they.

All I can say is the pain eases as time goes on.

Sorry for your loss. That is tough especially since he should've had a couple more years in him.

I had to put my 13yo lab down last November. My other one had to be put down a couple years ago (11yo) because of cancer. I often think of the countless great times our dogs have provided us. I Still tear up when I think about them.

I've decided to get a pup in the spring.

Thanks everyone for thoughts and prayers. It's really great to have people out there who understand what it is like to lose a great partner. I will never forget Radar and I'm sure I'll be reminded of him every fall when I'm sitting in the duck blind waiting for that first flight to come in. I'm am very thankful that I have my other dog Riley to help get me through this also. Radar's loss has really made me appreciate Riley more, I will always see a little bit of Radar everytime I look into his eyes. Riley has learned alot over the years from Radar.

Thanks again everybody, for your understanding and kind thoughts.

My condolences CM.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your loss.

I really do.

It can't be easy, and I dread the day of my first "kid" passing.

She really means a lot to us all.

Keep that chin up, and remember how many years of good friendship Radar gave to you, and how many years of good friendship you gave to Radar. Chances are really good that Radar never had a bad day with you and your family.

That's special and worth remembering all the great stuff. It can't do anything but put a smile on your face in tough times.

I can't even imagion how that feels. I have no idea what my life would be like without my dog (Cash). All I can say is remember all the good times and always be thankful for everything you experienced with him by your side.

Here is a another little thought for you

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS THE RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER…

My heart goes out to you ... My Lab is getting up there too and I am dreading the day !!!