• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rat Tail -n- Stub Grubs

Slyster

I always chase crappies in the spring. I have been working road construction for the last 10 years or so. So really crappies are the only thing I get to fish for anymore. Usually around opener I get called back to work. So then there isn't much time.

I used the Stub-grubs last year and really liked them. I used them without meat and did just fine! I still like to tie up some of my own crappie jigs, for 2 reasons, (1) it gives me something to do and(2) it's fun to catch fish on something you made yourself! If the weather holds it won't be to long before the lakes are open up here. There are a few that are really close! grin.gif

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You set them up correctly. I like to keep them a tiny bit straighter on collarless jigheads but that is tough to do on a collared jighead like you are using.

I've never used live meat on them and have outfished others using a live minnow many times. I'm sure that isn't always the case but this time of year it's fairly high odds they will outfish live bait.

You can use them under a bobber to slow them down and hold a depth range or without a bobber. Just cast and count it down then retrieve until you find the magic countdown/depth. My best fishing has come without a bobber.

That is probably because the more agressive fish like a bit faster presentation.

Honestly I don't even bring minnows when chasing crappies this time of year.

you may find that IF you are getting short biters on these plastics, you may want to shorten them up a bit too. using the collarless jig will hep with giving you more room so your plastic will sit straighter. tonight , i couldn't get anything going on the paddle tails, so went to a hair jig , and a waxie. caught a couple of nice crappies, but then took the waxie off and put on a white rasto body, and did ok too.

Anyone know how fast these plastics will sink on a 1/32oz jig? 1ft/sec? Would be nice if someone knows, that way if I do cast them w/o a bobber, and fish are suspended, I'd know how many seconds to count down.

i think a 1/32 would be just a touch slower than that, but ! the big thing as stated by Rick earlier is to start with the counting method and keep working it til you hit fish. then you will know the depth that the fish are at.. this method isn't really for determiing the actual water depth, but gives you a way of measuring how far down you need to fish that particular lure. i believe/think the rule has been the a 1/8 jig will fall at a ft. per sec. in calm water.

The Stub Grub and Rat Tail will fall slower than most plastics comaparable in size. This is due to their ribbed bodies, which "catch" water on the way down, giving it a slow-fall approach.

So, if you rig up a Stub Grub with a 1/32oz collarless jighead, you can expect it to fall slower than a twister tail and a 1/32oz collared jighead. I personally believe that's one of the main reasons why the Stub Grub is so effective.

If you rig the Stub Grub and Rat Tails with a collarless jighead you will find that it's easier to thread on, and the plastic will ride straighter (like Rick mentioned). A collared jig is tough with the Rat Tail and Stub Grub.

And I agree with Rick, use the countdown method and it won't take more than a couple cats to figure out the fall rate of the plastic/jig combo. It could be different depending on a collared vs. collarless jig as well...

Here are a few pics of rigged Rat Tails and Stub Grubs...

CTstubgrubChartOrange-225x170.jpg

CTratgrubOrangePink-225x171.jpg

CTstubgrubBlueChart-225x133.jpg

CTstubgrubBrown-225x135.jpg

[Note from admin: so will this OutdoorProstore.com - Click here please.

Well. I have to say the Rat Tails worked well today! Used 2Lb Trilene with a yellow 1/32 jig with purple/chartreuse rait-tail 2' below a weighted spring bobber and managed some decent crappies. Thanks again for all the great tips in this post!

Sly, you did not happen to be on WBL for those crappies were you? I found a similiar crappie bite on the stubs, paddle tails, and on my go to for this spring the 2" Berkley power minnow on a chartuse tube jig. WBL was busy and there were a few guys in my holes catching the fish...

I thinking by this post that you may have been one of those guys.

Depends... there were a number of different locations with many boats! It was quite busy.. but apparently plenty of fish. I did let all of them go for ya. smile.gif Silver/Red 14' Lund.. (although I saw a number of boats just like mine! Popular/cheap boat) stop by and say hi. Were you out alone today or with others?

I don't get on White Bear much durning the summer because of the high boat traffic. Spring and Fall is when I go out but only a few times year. This year I may hit it more if gas prices keep rising. I may have to stay more local. What I can say about White Bear is that there are some very nice crappie and sunfish when you get on them in the spring. You always have a shot at some slabs.

In the fall White Bear is very good for walleye as well. The boat traffic goes way down and pulling cranks at dark you can have a banner night as not many fish at night on White Bear.

I have a black Lunk Mr. Pike...Thus the name on the site.

Maybe I will see you out there one night in the evening. I am hoping get out Wed or Thursday after work

[Note from admin: OutdoorProstore.com - Click here please.]

I carry several sizes to match jig weight. I like to keep the float as neutral as possible. I prefer to have the longer floats lay flat on the water so even the slightest hit will tip it up wind permitting. I also use the smaller floats for ice fishing. Very versatile floats so buy a few. I have been using the same floats for three years so they are durable. You might have to super glue the stem back in after a year of fishing but that's no big deal.

A friend of mine casts his own jigs and he made those for me. They are a size 6 hook with a 1/32oz head.

Scenic Tackle is going to make size 6 and 8 collarless jig heads and they should be available soon...

Thanks Matt. I order from the site periodically to do my part in keeping revenue coming in. I did get the scenic tackle collorless jig heads but they have a longer hook then I use with some of my smaller 1" plastics. They work for the stub grubs but still like the smaller hooks.

Problem is I do not see many of the collarless 1/32 jigs out there. I do like the ones your friend cast. They have great bright colors for that murky shallow water.

Do you know if Cabelas in Rogers, JR's, Thorn Brothers, or any other local retails carries the collarless that have the samller hooks.

I too ordered some Rat Tails and Stub Grubs, as well as some collarless jig heads. I am wondering how long I should expect it to take before I see them. I am only questioning bcause in the past I have ordered off FM and gotten the item/s within a week. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I'm not complaining, but after attending the plastics seminar last week in Mankato i'm REALLY itching to get out and try these things grin.gif ...

eyes317

Side story related to this topic.. the other day fishing my 1/32 jig & rat-tails again (on an ultralight rod with 2 lb line) I caught a monster pike! 7-9lb perhaps. Thought it might be muskie until I got a look. This is just an estimate because I left him in in the water to get the jig out and with one small thrash and my line was cut. Very fun and very unexpected.

I couldn't believe I got him to the boat.. the drag was just so loose for crappies it eventually tired him out... and it must have hooked him near the outside of his teeth since the line didn't get cut (until the end anyway).

That was unexpected. Very slow day for crappies though.