• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heard that perch are hitting on Otsego and putting the perch on Canaderago to shame . . . big mamas, jumbos, corn fed hogs!!! Off of Glimmerglass Park in 35 fow. Don't know what they are hitting, just depth and lake. Don't even know ice thickness so be careful as the lake was open a short while ago.

Fished Otsego with MV Joe once and was dissappointed with the size and numbers but heck that was 2 or 3 years ago., and a lot could have changed just like darago you thinking about giving it a go are u Frank. If you go get there early that parking lot fills up quick...

Hey Frank,

You are saying they are bigger than the ones you get? Man I might have to get out there this weekend.

Seriously, I guy I know who fishes a lot heard the same thing about the perch there this year, but he didn't hear of many monsters, just a ton of 11-12 inchers. I can't complain about that!!

Tim

Glimmerglass is at the northeast end. I wouldn't think there would be a problem parking at a State Park. I think I heard the lake is still open for the most part so it would be only in the cove areas . . .but have not been there so can not report first thing. Don't even know if I want to do a road trip until I know there is absolutely safe ice!!

Talked to Joe this morning and we went out of 3 mile point., Glimmerglass I think charges 5 or 6 bucks to park there. According to Joe that's one of the last places down that way to tighten up. Never saw many consistant slammer reports out of that place anyhow.

Quote:

RTF you do a lot of fishing at Otesgo, I am interested in the lakers there...do you know much about them?

No I am a bass man. Although we where catching lakers from shore at 3 mile last November. The only fishing I get to do on Otsego would be from 3 mile in early spring and the rest of the year from my row boat on the south end when the wind is calm.

Ok so I went to check it out yesterday. Otsego lake got hit hard with heavy rain and now the temps are in the 50's and the wind will blow hard today from the south. Lots of standing water on the ice and it's all open around the boat docks both at 3 mile and south end.

Would you believe there was one brave soul out in a trap all the way in the middle from 3 mile point all by themselves ? No way for this guy. They had a white car (kinda new) whoever they where.

Love that Bass talk . . .that will come later. I heard the ice was 8 inches on Otsego , so the guy was ok until he had to challenge the shore line as it is the first to go. Might be time to break out planks . . . however, with the forecasted winds any opening on the south end could cause the ice to buckle and break up if the winds get above 30mph

03/13/06

By Jake Palmateer

Staff Writer

Access to Otsego Lake’s Three Mile Point has been blocked after several fishermen broke through the ice Saturday.

Cooperstown Fire Chief Jim Tallman said no one was injured during a series of incidents in the afternoon after daytime highs reached into the 50s.

One man was taken to Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital for observation but was later released, fire officials said.

Assistant Chief Brian Clancy said there were three groups of fishermen, totaling about 18 people, on the ice off Three Mile Point on Saturday when the ice began "honeycombing." Honeycombing occurs when radiant heat from the sun creates fractures in the ice.

Clancy said a man initially fell through the ice at about 3:30 p.m., but he was rescued by his fellow fishermen before firefighters arrived on the scene.

"They were probably a hundred yards off shore," Clancy said.

The waters off Three Mile Point are more than 100 feet deep, and the dropoff begins within 20 yards of shore.

Fishermen at the scene told firefighters that as many as six people had fallen in as the ice began to deteriorate, Clancy said.

They all managed to get out on their own or were rescued by fellow fishermen, Clancy said.

Fishing reports at iceleaders.com indicate ice levels in Otsego Lake this weekend fluctuated between 10 inches to a few inches on the nine mile long lake.

Clancy said the Milford Fire Department was called in so its hovercraft could be used to warn others on the lake of the conditions and be available in case any others fell through.

Some of the fishermen had to walk to the opposite side of the lake to be driven by firefighters back to their cars at the Three Mile Point parking lot. Three Mile Point is a popular public area three miles north of the village of Cooperstown.

Clancy, who also serves as the superintendent of the Cooperstown Public Works Department, said village officials decided to close and lock the gate at Three Mile Point to prevent other fishermen from accessing the lake.

The closure would be for the season unless there is a substantial cold snap, he said.

"We really haven’t had much of a winter," Clancy said.

NOW THIS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ! mad.gif

http://cooperstownbassfishing.blogspot.com/2006/03/lesson-learned-i-hope.html

ceder, I will say it again and only say it once. Stay off of Otsego Lake. IMO the lake was never safe to be on even after the cold snap of late February. We sat at 70 degree's today in Cooperstown. The lake is done for any ice fishing this year. You will need a boat to get to any ice on the south end. I'm not sure if any of you know this, but the village purposely prevents any ice from building up on the south end around the Marina and public boat launches using water jets. This is to prevent dock damage.

The gate to 3 mile point is still locked. From 5 mile point , north it's all open water boys and girls. Plenty of white caps out there today, but no ice to speak of. It looks like there is shore ice over at Glimmerglass park. Also open water down on the south end at the state boat launch, but ice forms fast not far out.