• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Antelope - 2006

OrionsX0

Orion, I grew up in SD and now am forced with the same issue as you, that dreaded nonresident antelope lisence ap. every year. I have been having great luck with the Harding county units 135a&b. B is easier to draw not as many people drawing for the tag. We usually get our second choice, two doe tags one year, then get a preference point for an any antelope for the next and draw that one. It has been working out very well. We have invested in a mule "wheeled cart for taking antelope out of walkin ground". You will not be able to cover all the walkin ground in a week unless you are really hoofing and not hunting. I would give 135B a Aplus for a all around hunt. Camping accomodations are at the Slim Buttes Custer National Forest grounds. Be ready for 75 degree to 20 degree and snowing you never know up there. The Slim Buttes are breath taking. Hope that helps.

Orion cost for a any antelope tag was 150, double doe 135. There is a small stop called Reva not really a town on hyw 20 that has all your basic needs. They even have a small and I mean SMALL bar if you need to have a cool one and get rid of the dust after a hard day of hunting. I believe they usually start excepting aps in early to mid summer so watch the web sight. I will be applying also, I have a preference point for a any antelope this year so I hope I draw. I stay with a rancher just to the nw of reva and just east of the buttes so if we both draw we will have to hook up out there and I can show you the good ares that traditionally hold goats. I have been hunting there since 85 so I know the area pretty well. If you need more info I will leave my Email Add.

[email protected]

Those are under scores in the Email address.

Thank you guys I am really looking forward to a possible hunt I think that we are going to apply in 135B but I wanted to say thanks for the information and I hope to see one of you out there

Hey there Ron! Looks like 135 maybe the way to go.

On average how many antelop will you see in like 3 days? What caliber gun would be best and at what distance should I sight my weapon for? 200 - 250 300 yards?

Teal, Most groups you will see per say on a square mile of walkin ground will usually be 1-2 herds of 5-30 but it just kind of depends on pressure. The ground is decieving a herd can be hidden 500yds from the road and you wont know they are there unless you are out there stalking. A good flat shooting calibur like 25-06, 270 on up are good. I shoot a 280 and sight it in 3" high at 100 yds and that puts me in the kill zone out to 300 yards. You very well might be taking that 300 yd shot so shoot as often as you can, and find out where you are hitting at 200 & 300 yds so you feel comfortable when that buck of a life time comes along. If you have never been out to the slimm buttes you have to take a drive to the top of the north buttes. On a clear day you can see ND&Montana It is one of the most unbelievable sights you will ever see. At sundown take a drive and I would take a bet you would probably loose count of the # of deer you would see if you drove 20 miles. It is simply Gods country.

People do use 7mms but I would think it is a bit big. You will want to make sure that you hit the vitals becuse if you don't you will have no antelope left. This are fairly small critters. I use a .270 but am thinking about going smaller.

I just found out that I may not have anywhere to hunt next year so my goat days may be over. The drought has been affecting all the ranchers in the area I hunt.

mw

Mike is right, my buddy uses a 7mm and usually he is right on the money but last year he had a long shot with some wind and ended up hamming one. There were no hind quarters to speak of. BUT... I have seen the same with 25-06,270, and my 280. I have in the past used my 22-250, it is way to little gun for the job in my opinion. I have heart shot them and they dont even flinch they just run off with the herd and eventualy die. I have also tried neck shooting them with the 22-250 with almost the same results.

There is a battle going on right now in mainly western harding county that involves the ranchers and the GF&P. It has limited alot of land people can hunt out there so the draw this year could be interesting.I hope they get things settled B4 hunting season so ranchers will allow hunters back on their land again.

Ok so I have an excuse to buy another gun- Thank you all for advice- My hunting partner, the one who started this thread, and I have to concentrate on turkey hunting here in MN this May (his wife is expecting and the due date is the same as the start of our hunting week). If there is any other information which you might think is useful on the antelope please feel free to write.

One question, is it bucks (goats) only? or is there a doe tag? How does that system work.

Teal, The lotto system has about three different picks for nonres. 1)Any antelope, 2)any antelope and doe or kid, 3)doe antelope and doe or kid. #2 Is not offered all the time, it is a expensive lisence. My experience is usually the first year you apply for the any antelope as your first choice and the double doe tag as your second choice you will usually draw the double doe tag that year and recieve a preference point for the next years any antelope drawing and usually you will draw the any antelope that year. That is the way it has been happening for me anyway, maybe I have been just getting lucky on the draw though.

Just let me know what I can do to help you out with that gun. A man can never have enough!!

Boy thats tough going through hunting season expecting a baby. I took my turn through antelope back in 94. It was war in our house during early duck and I almost missed antelope. I hope everything goes well. Best wishes.

Glad I could help, hope we all draw. If you do draw the way to find me is go into Reva at or around lunch time and I will be playing cribbage with the locals for sodas, or stop in and ask where scott and lori live you will find me there.

Its just a few minutes away.

Where do you live from reva? I have been hunting up by ralph for the last 13+ years. There is nothing better than antelope hunting in harding county.....We stay about 15 miles east of ludlow 1/2 mile south of highway south of the church.

Robbi, I dont live by Reva I just hunt there alot and stay at a ranch by Reva. Its Just a few miles away and that all I can say. If we draw tags maybe we can hookup in reva. Its always fun to put a name with a face and make new friends.

Dean