• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Volkwagon jetta TDI

Gus

Question

With the dang gas prices where they are, I'm "thinking" of downsizing. Does anybody have any knowledge about towinig with these little deisels? I'm just looking to pull a small utility trailer, less than 1000 lbs.

Thanks, Jeff

6 answers to this question

MNice -

If you dont mind driving a bigger vehicle, look into finding an 1997 or early 98 Dodge truck with the cummins diesel. (the 12 valve motor) These truck frequently get better than 20 MPG, and the B series Cummins engine has been around a long time.

In mid 98, they went to the 24 valve engine.

I have a 2001, and love it, but the older 12 valvers had the potential for better milage.

I'm always amazed at the small cars I see with hitches. If you're pulling a lightweight load, you should be OK. Just be cautious of overheating or taxing your breaks. Also, watch out for the wind wake from large trucks.

Check the owner's manual because not all vehicles are designed to tow or you may void the warranty.

With the dang gas prices where they are, I'm "thinking" of downsizing. Does anybody have any knowledge about towinig with these little deisels? I'm just looking to pull a small utility trailer, less than 1000 lbs.

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks all.

Gissert, I'm getting 18-19 now with my chev, but I fill up about every 4-5 days at around $40.00 frown.gif I think I'm just haveing a knee jerk reaction to this gas talk. Just doing some thinking to save a buck or two.

Again, Thanks.

You might want to consider waiting for the new Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I think Honda will have one in 2005 too. 4 wheel drive and 40mpg city. I've driven one of the hybrids and it had more power on acceleration than my current suv.

I'm going to 2nd what Gus said. I own one right now. The milage is awesome, the maintenence the most expensive on any vehicle that I have owned. I don't think I would buy one again. I get sticker shock every time I have to do the 20,000 and 40,000 maintenece over $230 and $450 for each respectively!! That's not to mention the $450 to change to serpentine belt every 60,000, the $115 for a new battery, etc, etc!!! I probably have lost money even with the 48mpg! Fun to drive, nice mileage, but way to many negatives!!!

~piker