• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

American Wigeon (photos)

Tom Wilson

What beautiful ducks these things are. They're not as beautiful as Pintails or Woodies, but man are they close. I have always had an affection for these ducks, but other than the two or three I've taken during duck season, I don't ever get to see them. This was a definite treat for me, and I have some beautiful photos to share.

image00104ur.jpg

image00200hc.jpg

image00221sy.jpg

image00239hk.jpg

image00257zp.jpg

image00261zx.jpg

Never seen one of these up close but watched several fly away after I missed! grin.gif As you point out, they are pretty, the pattern in the feathers on their sides and the tails remind me of a pintail. They should, they're about as fast! As always, great photographs Tom.

Great pictures of a cool looking bird! I've never got to shoot one of these, we got some in my group one day when I hunted, but I didn't get any of them and I've never had shooting at them since. We don't see many here, but like you Tom, I've always had a fascination with them, I think they are very cool looking birds.

Great job as usual on these pics!

LDog,

I was lucky enough to get one my second year of duck hunting--He adorns my den wall. I have been lucky enough to shoot one or two a year, but they aren't usually fully plumed out. I got real lucky with the first one. I think a lot of my luck with wigeon is that I am really good at flight ID of ducks, and when I spot them I target them. I also tend to use a whistle alot, and I believe this helps greatly. They sure are beautiful ducks. I'm glad I was able to add these photos to my pile.

Tom W