• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mule type atv's

waskawood

I don't know if this is the forum for this question or not but here goes. I am thinking that my kind of atv may be more on the order of the Kawasaki Mule. Is there anyone here that is knowledgable on this type of vehicle? Who all makes one? I only would use it for ice fishing. I live on a lake so don't need to lug it around. Speed isn't my thing so that isn't important. All I need is a good dependable work horse that will start when it is 20 below. Now that I think about it, that was all I was looking for in a wife too!!! grin.gif Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think all of the makes have them now.Yamaha has the Rhino 660 and 450,Arctic Cat has the Prowler 650,Kawi has the Mule,Polaris the Ranger,and I think Suzuki has a imitation mule.From what I've read the Yamaha Rhino is the most sporty of the OHV's.They are narrow enough to fit into a full size pickup box,and weight around 1000 lbs.

The Kabota RTV has a watercooled diesel, with glow plugs, that starts well in cold. Hyrostatic drive (NO belts) good power to wheels. Runs very close to the same price as many of the other units.

Depending upon what you want to use this for, check the ATV regs. This may have been fixed now too, I haven't checked lately, but there has been a glitch in the definition of ATV so you really couldn't use these mule type rigs anywhere. Just something to check out and think about.

If it isn't an ATV then they must be a farm implement so all I need is a SMV sign and I can go any where wink.gif!!! If life was only that easy. I have a call into my local CO. Thanks for the headsup lawdog. I want to leave it on the ice for ice fishing.

The DNR definition of All-terrain vehicles

"(ATVs) are motorized, flotation-tired vehicles with at least three, but no more than six low pressure tires, with an engine displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and total dry weight of less than 900 pounds."

ATVs with a total dry weight of 900 or more pounds are classified as ORVs.

This was channged recently as it used to be a 600 lb. maximum weight for ATVs.

The DNR definition of Off-road vehicles "(ORVs) are motorized, recreational vehicles capable of cross-country travel on natural terrain, such as fourwheel- drive trucks and ATVs that have an engine displacement of 800 or more cubic centimeters or total dry weight of 900 pounds or more."

This type ov vehicle has a different registration than ATVs and have different rules appying to them. (Too many to list here). You can get a full description of the rules at the DNR HSOforum.

you guys are lucky.... In Wisconsin our regs say that the seat must be strattled...therefore no UTV type ATV's are legal here, except for the old style polaris ranger. I think that the UTV would be the cat's meow if it were legal here: steering with a steering wheel, built to work hard AND play hard.

Quote:

The DNR definition of All-terrain vehicles

"(ATVs) are motorized, flotation-tired vehicles with at least three, but no more than six low pressure tires, with an engine displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and total dry weight of less than 900 pounds."

ATVs with a total dry weight of 900 or more pounds are classified as ORVs.

This was channged recently as it used to be a 600 lb. maximum weight for ATVs.

And all ATV's MUST be registered with the state, even if it is used ONLY on your property. Here is food for thought. Re-read the definition of an ATV. NOW GO AND LOOK AT YOUR RIDING LAWN MOWER. Meats the defintion doesn't it. I can't wait until the DNR figures that one out and comes up with all the $$$$$ its been missing out on.