• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Screws in tires

Gadgetman

Anybody have any experience with these? I put larger tires on my machine and the dealer suggested that I not use my chains as their may not be enough clearance. Still want to be able to pull my fish house etc on ice but not sure about putting screws in my treads. Will it affect my tire life? They claim not a problem.

I've run plain short sheet metal screws in the front tires of my ATV in the winter. They really make a difference on the lake when there is glare ice. They haven't hurt my tires one bit...

JEV

I am also looking for experiences from folks who have used screws in tires. I have the Titan 589's and was thinking of trying the screws before I go out and buy chains. What size would be correct and how many per lug? Both front and back?

I have a polaris 2x4 with stock tires. I put 3/8" long by 1/4" head sheet metal screws in the middle lugs of all 4 tires and it helps greatly on hard pack and especially on bare ice. This is my 3rd year with out any affects on the tires.

HELPED MY BUDDY PUT SHEET METAL SCREWS IN HIS RINCON, IT HOOKS UP LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE ON BARE ICE, WE USED IT TO PULL A FISH HOUSE THAT HAD BROKE THROUGH THE ICE OUT OF THE HOLE. GO FOR IT, CHEAPEST UPGRADE EVER FOR ICE FISHING.( WARNING ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE LARGE LUG TIRES)

Well I used to race wheelers on ice, we used the "Gold Cutters" regular ice screws.

A lot of people use the old stand by sheet metal screws, and they do work.

But take one look at them after one or two outings and your looking at rusty and dull screws.

The Gold Cutters or any regular ice screw will resist rusting and they hold the edge better provided you do not use them on pavement,dirt, or concrete.

They are a little more expensive and harder to find but they look nicer than rusty old screws.

Now beyond that, if you want to keep as many screws in your tires as posible you need to goop them up with a rubber adhesive and use the longest you dare use.

Also keep in mind these screws come flying out when you hot dog it and do burn outs.I seen people with screws imbedded in there face because some punk decided to show off and did a shinny next to a group of people.

Now if you have an old set of tires, that are worn to much for summer traction, buy screws long enough to go through the rubber about an inch.Back them with nylon nuts and a washer, then they won't pull out at all.

Run the green slime product or PJ-1 tire seal to keep the leaks down.

Benny

Thanks Benny,I went with the Kold Kutter ice screw and they really work well on this crappy ice that we are having now. I am sure that I wouldnt be getting around on the lake at all with out them. Another question regarding these screws is when they do get worn down do you take them out and just put new ones back in the same holes? I am pretty concerned about not ruining my tires as I dont feel like spending the $ for new tires every year or two

Hey Gadgetman, what length screws did you use? The only Kold Kutter ice screw that I found was an inch long and that was longer than I wanted to put in my tires. I bought some half inch hex head sheet metal screws. Have not got around to install them yet. I think I will use the rubber glue when I do

I used to take a file and just touch up each screw, but that takes a long time.

You can remove them and put new ones back in the same hole but you loose some of your holding ability.

You can usualy move over just a tad and run the new screw into fresh rubber.

So long as you don't wear the tire down to much the same length should do.

Also like I said, try to keep them off the dirt,concrete and pavement.

I used to find old care inertubes and cut them to fit over the tires, stop at the edge of the ice and wrap them up then take it eazy to your trailer.

Carpet wraped around them and tied off works as well, but some times the ties come loose as your moving.

There should be several sizes to select from, I had 1-1/2 inch long screws and backed them with nylon washers and nuts.

Still have the tires to this day with the screws still in,they are all weather cracked now but the screws never pulled out.

Made for some real nice holeshots with the suport the washers and nuts gave the screw.

Try Dinis Kirk, or Bob's cycle, if not them do a google search for them.

Benny