• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warn Winch Question

JEV

Is anyone familiar with the internal workings of a Warn winch for an ATV. I am having a problem with creep with my winch. It's more so a problem when I have my plow on and come to winch the plow up. It pulls up fine but then will slowly start to creep out and let the plow down. So what I am wondering is what exactly holds the spool from turning out when no power is applied? I'm not sure if something is worn out or if it is a simple fix. I appreciate any info you guys might have....

Thanks,

JEV

I beleive there is on one end, you turn the knob or wheel or what ever you want to call it. It's for when you want to pull out cable without powering it out, kind of free wheeling. The tighter the more resistance there is on the cable. That is if you haven't tried that already. That's how mine works.

I haven't checked newer model Warn winches but, most do not have a mechanical brake. So, with most plows, the cable will slowly pull out of the winch. The knob on the side is only for locking in the mechanics to winch in and out or, when truned, to freewheel so you can pull the cable out by hand. That knob does not set any tension on cable coming out.

There is only a dynamic brake on the regular warn. That is the drag of all the gears and motor spinning. But for about $65 you can install a warn actual brake that will hold the rated capacity of the winch. TKhe dynamic is only suposed to hold about 500 pounds and I have found they don't always hold even that much. The knob on the side is to engage and disengage the motor to the spool for easily pulling the cable out manually. The brake is fairly simple to install and it is just a matter of replacing one of the planitary gear assemblies. The brake can be purchased online or from any warn distributor

resurfacing this thread, I have the same problem, but it it really bad. I winch up the plow and it immediately falls about 4 inches, almost touching the ground. What is the problem? Also, anyone know a mechanic who is really good kawasakis. I have a prairie 700 and have a few (5) minor problems, and I really don't trust the dealers. I would much rather take it to a mom and pop shop.

Thanks-

I just bought a warn winch to put on my grizz. I was told a new winch needs the cable tightened to the spool. best way is to let out the cable, hook it to your ball hitch on your truck, put the wheeler in reverse, and winch it up. this also keeps the cable from fraying.

Where to start:

It overheats very quickly. Nothing blocking the radiator, coolant is at perfect level, and the fan runs like crazy. Up to a half hour after shut off.

It has a hard time shifting between ranges, I am constantly blipping the throttle to get it to shift.

I have a weird (very loud) belt noise when I let off the throttle when going about 20 MPH. It last for only a split second. It is kinda a squeak, but not like the belt slipping on the clutch sheaves.

The thing always starts no matter how cold it is, but keeping it running is another story, as soon as it starts to choke out, I take off some choke and it dies, I have to mind the throttle for a long time until it comes to operating temp., and then it runs just fine.

Last but not least, it takes for ever to engage into 4wd, I could be getting into trouble (stuck) and by the time it engages it it way to late. I am stuck and spining in 2wd, sometime over a minute.

I think that is it mad.gif

Oh- 300 miles 65 hours

If your winch switch is to where you can reach it from infront of your machine you need to quide the cable back and forth by hand, wear a good pair of lether gloves. Or you need a secound person to run the winch well you guide the cable.

I could be way off base on this but on the overheating and that few of miles I am thinking a air bubble in the cooling sysetem or a fualty heat sensor for the fan. The heat sensor may be reading the engine hotter then what it realy is.

Great, now I need a friend wink.gif So you can move the cable back and forth while winching in and it is attached to the ball of your truck? I guess I assumed that it would be to tight to move back and forth.