• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Scenes (pics included)

Dbl

Dbl...my pic is the first of the 3 softened black and white scenes also........on the colored versions......my choice is the fence post in the field...I follow up alot of my photos with post processing....sure some come out of the camera "perfect" but most don't and have room for some kind of "improvement"...all personal "taste" I guess....jonny grin.gif

You are right jonny. I personally like the first and fence post shot myself. I shot over 150 photos that day and I randomly picked a few to see what kind of shot people enjoyed. It is interesting to get comments and see what type of shot people are drawn to.

I agree on the post processing. I find that about 50% to 75% need some help after they come from the camera. An example is the fence post shot. It turned out very underexposed due to the flat lighting. Increasing the fill light and a bit of softening and you have something that is more visually appealing to the majority.

I also made my living at one point as a free lance artist, which is what got me into photography in the first place, and I always found it amazing what type of work attracted interest.

The shots posted here are no different, some like, some dislike. That is why it is fun to get reactions like sakazulu's. I had already changed those photos to black and white prior to posting the originals because to me they where more interesting. I wanted to see if others thought the same. Thanks again for the comments.

Dan

For me, the fencepost shot does the trick. Takes me back to all the years I lived in N.D. Nice composition. Eye is drawn, of course, to the lonely fence post as the focal point of the scene, but then migrates up, drawn by the snow, to dwell on the blustery sky, which adds a depth to the message.

The dead grass adds a splash of color, too. Interesting to see the image B&W. I think that would have a powerful impact, too.

And here it is Steve. I grew up in Fargo-Moorhead so I know what you mean by evoking past memories. I am always drawn to this type of shot. This is one photo I think looks better with that splash of color. Others may think not.

50037406-L.jpg

Quote:

And here it is Steve. I grew up in Fargo-Moorhead so I know what you mean by evoking past memories. I am always drawn to this type of shot. This is one photo I think looks better with that splash of color. Others may think not.

If you look at the entire picture it looks best in color. If you scroll it up so that all you see is the post and a small amount of snow above it I think that it looks better in B/W. Maybe that is because in B/W it reminds me of being out on grandpas farm. Nice pictures though and thanks for shairing them! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

As I was on my weekend early morning drive (Sax-Zim bog,I did get a far away shot of an eagle but to far),I came upon this old abandoned barn that hasn't been used in a "few" years...I liked the colors of the partial sun and lighting in this photo...and just the way the barn looked against the background(with the lone small spruce) and grass...guess it's not just the creatures that I find interesting ,sometimes these scenery/landscape photos are nice also.....jonny grin.gif

DSCF4393-2copy.jpg

Steve, love that second shot especially. That area you and jonny frequent must be a photographers dream come true. Looks like you have a lot of shooting material to choose from.

Dbl:

It's true. I've been driving by that abandoned log shed for nearly three years, always meaning to shoot it, and when I saw the snow hanging off yesterday afternoon while I was cruising for newspaper photos, I knew it was the right day. The first image isn't special, really. I put it up only to give context to the second photo, which is the one that tells a bit more of a story. And without even including the top of the roof in the photo, the snow pattern tells us what it is made of.