• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am new to ice fishing on the bay, only a few times last year, and don't know where to go. Does anybody know where to head out of and what depth to fish at? What bait and lures to use? We would like to focus on trout and any help would be great!

Beamer

Right now in particular, your best bet for trout is to head off either the Bono Creek area or Washburn. We just got some rain here, so be sure to check the ice conditions as you go. Bono area was fine, with up to 10 inches of ice found in most of the areas. But on the Washburn side, the ice is a lot more variable.

For inshore trout, such as browns and splake... look for hard breaks that are close to shore. Say 12FOW down to 30FOW.. or so one... Fish the break and even up on the shallow flat. As the season progresses, the fish will move deeper, finding optimum oxygen levels.

Lures or choice... stick with jigging spoons and you will definately have the best shot at getting bit. Pimples, Kastmasters, Go-Devils, Lindy Rattler Spoons, Northland Buckshot, etc etc.. Team this with a deadstick or tip-ups and you are good to go.. While jigging, jig at varying depths, as the trout can be just underneath the ice.... or one the bottom... Same with tip-ups, vary their depths..

Good luck out there...

Went out off Bono for about 3 hours with only a couple of hits. Seen a couple of guys land some but the fish just wouldn't hit us hard enough. We moved to Ashland out from the orr dock for the rest of the day with no luck at all. Seen one guy with a nice (27" or 28") walleye on the ice though.

I would like to take my 4 year old son out crappie or bluegill fishing this weekend but don't know where to go around Ashland. We have gone out on the bay twice, more just to see if his patience would hold out than to catch fish, and now he is on me how we never catch anything! Willing to drive half an hour or so to have some luck if someone could steer us in the right direction. Thanks.

beamer, the Iron river flowage is a good spot for some pannies and some tip up action. Also the Pike chain lakes can be good. Just look for the crowds and you'll find some fish. Theres alot of good lakes in that area, just need to scout them out and give them a try. Pretty easy to catch little pike everywhere. My little guys love chasing those orange flags. I don't know what any of the ice conditions are so be cafefull and good luck.

Took him out to the Iron River Flowage and came up with a bunch of small gills. Was great watching him though, those little eyes lit up with every fish that came through the whole!

Yesterday took the better half to Pigeon Lake by Drummond and caught a few small northerns and a 19" bass that went right back in.

I think next weekend I am going to try the bay again, maybe off Bono creek or go down to Namekagen for some crappies. Does anybody know if the crappies are close enough to shore this time of year to pull my otter out on foot on Namekagen? If so, where do we head out of? Thanks.

Yeah.. glad you got hooked up into some fish...

Anyways, quick report here... Fishing is still going on in the bay... We lost some ice, but it is still holding up good in and around Ashland, Second Landing, Bono Creek, and on the West side of Washburn. Just use caution if you do go out.

Fishing is still hit and miss, but on a good note, most of the fish that are being caught are of the larger size!!! So not many fish being caught, but some dandy fish for the efforts. And hopefully tomorrow, I will get a few of them!!

This post is going to read like "where Not To Go On The Bay"

Last 2 weekends I have fished the Scurve at Bono Cr. & the Orr Dock. The fishing Was Real Slow. 1 fat smelt. The bay can be a beast & sometimes your just paying dues.

Anyone know how the ice is doing off of Houghten Pt??

-Later CLoma

No ice off the point as of yet... Bring the boat down, jigging in the open water has been great!! Hoping for a good cold stretch here SOON though, I need a good Lake Trout fix!!!!

The ice we do have left is still in pretty good shape, so that is good. Had a foot off Ashland yesterday.... 7 inches off Bono Creek... But the ice of Washburn is real sketchy, a couple people have put sleds and atvs through over that way...

Where can a guy go over by Bayfeild and find some ice? I've been itching to get over there but I have not heard any good news on the ice condition. Would like to get out after lakers also,but I would guess there is no chance of that.

Reef

No ice to speak of out here in the main lake... Bring the boat, and you can get into some good fishing though!! smile.gif

All ice is located in Chequamegon Bay itself, where some ice is starting to sneak it's way out towards Houghton Point. If this area shapes up with some decent ice, we will get in on some laker fishing. There are a few still hanging around in the "shallower" waters, but not as many as you would see out in the deeper stuff.