• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

An awesome first!!!!! (pics included)

Tom Wilson

I was driving home his afternoon and decided to take a slight detour through the Carver park near the Lowrey nature center and was WELL rewarded. I have seen many Owls in my day but they have always been either flying away or flying by. I can only remember ever seeing one (Great Gray) in a tree, that would have been photographable, but I wasn't into photography back then. Today I saw my first Great Horned Owl....... It was such a thrill--I sat and watched him for over ten minutes, and then decided I needed a closer photo. I only had the 70-200 with me, so I stalked (in dress pants and dress shoes--in the ten inches of snow) to a distance of roughly 25 feet. He decided to let me take about a half dozen photos and then he said goodbye with a couple of quick flaps of his wings. I just couldn't believe it. Here's my trophy from today......

dsc00266iy.jpg

Geez, what a beautiful shot Tom! Usually have to settle for seeing great horned owls from a distance too as the crows are harassing them or hearing their hooting from atop the lone tall spruce in the front yard at night, which drives the wife buggy. I absolutely love the sound, better than any sleeping pill. Congrats on the rare photo op! grin.gif

Great picture! Last summer ~ approx 3:00 AM I was woken up by a strange eerie noise... so I get up out of bed and look outside towards Orchard Lake and it is completely foggy and I can barely see the stret light on the corner (now I've painted the picture) I hear an Owl making his call coming from one area and then a few seconds later another Owl making the same call back!! It was so eerie! I stayed up for about a half hour and tuned in... kinda had to be there but it was cool.