• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Did/do you add weight on your ATV plow?

wooly1

Does anyone add weight to the top of your plow? In some snow conditions it seems my plow will ride up a bit on the snow. Not getting the bite I would like to get the drive way clean. Any suggestions?

Alot of plows come with plow angle adjustments on the backside of the plow to help get more cut also.And don't forget to take off the adjustable skids some plows come with.I took mine off as soon as I got my plow as I see no use for them.

Thanks guys,

Yes, I use the angle adjustment to help with the cut. My skid pads are still on. My ashalt driveway is about 25 years old, so its rough. I guess thats the price I have to pay not to shuck out the aggregate, not a clean cut with the plow. Just have to let the sun work on it when I don't get the results I want.

Thanks for the feedback

I have added weight to my plow and it worked well for hard crusty to almost icy conditions but it seemed to be a lot of extra stress on the winch cable. I seemed to break it quite often.

Taking off the skid pads helps a lot, I have mine off and never put them back on. Another thing I have done is I have taken the springs off and let the plow work at the angle it wants to. It is the only way I can get mine to clean the cement off the way I like. I don't know for sure if that will work for you as different plows may react differently, but you could give it a try.

Wooly1, Winter before last, I was disappointed with the job my plow did. Extra weight was the answer as I saw it. I went to the local steel supplier and bought 5'of 1/2"x4" grader blade. Drilling holes, forget it, I used the chop saw and grinder, made slots wide enough (and spaced correctly) for some grade5 bolts to slide into, and tack welded the bolts in (I can always grind 'em out IF they snap off). NOW, after last season and the little bit we've had this season the blade is just now starting to clean like it (IMO)should! The ATV will probably wear out before the 4" of grader blade does. BTW, 1/2"x4" grader blade adds just over 6# per ft, when new, Less as it wears down. grin.gif I also removed the skid pads, only cause they rode about 2" above the concrete. Yea, The winch does need to work harder, It had BETTER be able to lift the extra 30+ pounds. No cable problems yet.

Big Dave 2, As I recall, the grader blade was just over $30/5'. Not sure @ current prices what it would run. I know the price for the factory replacement for my WARN plow was pennies under $30 (+ freight/tax) so I figured "why pay for TOY grade"? Modification didn't cost much, and now I don't need to worry about wearing it out! Blade still flips on overload, but CAN I CLEAR snow!!!Though, sometimes I go sideways!

Thanks Phred52,

Sounds like the solution to my problem. I have a 60" Polaris plow. On hard pack or compacted icy slick snow, plow rides up and resists digging in. Weight/heavier cutting blade sounds like a solution.

Thanks to all that replied.