• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Almost Ready to Ice Some Pannies!!!

Matt Johnson

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready to ice a few pannies! With the cold temps we're seeing right now, I'm itchin' real bad to hit my first ice spots.

Let's talk early ice techniques... what does everyone use and how do they target early ice pannies?

Myself, I prefer either a 1/16 oz jigging spoon or a Size 8 Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso or Shrimpo.

The jigging spoon is an excellent aggressive, quick-drop technique that allows me to cover a lot of ice quickly, as well as depths. Pack the treble of the spoon with some maggies and I'm good to go. Good jigging spoon options include the Go Devil by Scenic Tackle, the NEW Demon Spoon by Custom Jigs and Spins, the Acme Kastmaster, and of course the Sweedish Pimple.

For the Shrimpo and Ratso I prefer to fish them plain during early ice, no live-bait. The finesse plastic usually seals the deal on its own. And when those pannies are going crazy I don't need to be constantly re-baiting all day.

Staying aggressive during early ice is just one of my preferred techniques...

Stratos....

Jigging spoons are very effective on early ice....and late open water! If the cold doesn't get deep enought to freeze my pet puddle I plan to float the boat next week for some crappies over deep water and Scenic Go Devils are tagging along. Since August they have been consistant producers for me on the crappies and sunfish too. Word has it that Custom Jigs and Spins has a new jigging type bait based on the demon....a bit lighter than the Go Devil perhaps in the 1/16 size. I need to find a few of these Demon baits to round out some of the "go to" tackle. The jigging spoons are way more versatile than being used just for ice fishing. On early ice the overlap with the recent open water really is what makes them so hot then.

Thanks Tom!

I love the demons so I am excited to try out some of their jigging spoons too. That's the beautiful thing about what we do.. whether it be fishing, hunting or what have you, there is always something new you can try or some new product developed that is a must have. Can I find them at Tackle City or somewhere do you know? I guess I can look myself... grin.gif

it turned out well. i was only laid up for about two weeks. he didn't grind as much off of the upper and lower bones and the knee cap as was done with my first one. to bad the crappies didn't turn on here this fall. for some reason the water at the lake stayed dirty. i hit the pond close to home to keep happy. lots of gils and a few crappies.i tried many different things. could get hits on many of them , but the fish would just kind of pop it and let go unless you tipped it with a waxie.i tried a swedish pimple( the only small spoon i have) and caught a couple, but still did the best with either a flu flu or a 1/80 jig with a shrimpo or wedgee body and a waxie.the fish were mostly relating to a brush pile, but once in a while i would catch one more out in the open.( note! this is only a 1 acer pond that gets tons of pressure, 15 ft deep in one area) but i had fun ! grin.gif

I'm almost ready for the hard water. Need to change some line and go through the jig box. Lets see what everyone else is rigging their rods with for these early ice Panfish?

I will go witn some Ratso/Shrimpo baits tipped with plastics along with Matt. My favorite color is White (gotta start somewhere smirk.gif). Horizontal type baits have been my "go to" the last few years. One or two rods will have a Scenic Tackle Jigging spoon as well.

What will you be using to start this Ice season?

Corey Bechtold

Chances are I'll be chasing down some pannies somewhere, unless we decide to take a crazy route towards LOW again and bust out the walleye gear...

For pannies I'll be equipped with a 1/16oz Go Devil jigging spoon packed with maggots... or a size 8 Pink/White Ratso... or a size 10 Pink Glow Shrimpo... or a Fatboy... or might even have to break out the 1.5 inch jiggin rap. So many options smile.gif

It could also change depending on whether I decide to target gills or slabs. Might even be the year where I decided to target bullhead, I donno... grin.gif

Either way, I'll be ice fishing! I drove by a lot of ice today, not long now!!!