• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A day of firsts :-)

WifeKidsandDog

Well, it was a bit too grey to use a long lens today, but I went out anyway. I spotted these (new to me) ducks and took a few snaps but there really wasn't enough light for decent handheld shots -- then I looked up and saw this bird flying away in the distant and thought, "Ooh, that's one big gull." Unfortunately, by the time I got my camera up, it was even further away and I had my exposure wrong ... but I got the feeling it might NOT be a gull.

I was pretty happy when I got home and saw what I did get on the PC, even although the images aren't the best. Both firsts for me and exciting!

Cheers

Cheryl

52277767.canvasbacks.jpg

52279787.maybeeagle.jpg

Quote:

Nice Cans Cheryl!!! (sorry couldn't resist)

Well that's what Rick said, too! lol.

Quote:

Wasn't that a thrill to shoot you're first Eagle? I had an absolute cow the first time I was close enough to one to get it on film. Congratulations!!!

I might be praising myself more if I'd actually known what I was shooting at the time, LOL. I almost deleted the pics but when I looked on the LCD and zoomed in, I did get a bit excited when I could vaguely see the curve of the beak.

But probably what is funniest, is I went to the duck pond a few blocks from downtown and in the middle of the usual geese and mallard shots, one frame is the canvasbacks and the next is the eagle. Now that just doesn't happen every day.

I wish my shots had been better but I can't complain too much. I am still excited about the eagle, too. I had to call my dad in Australia last night and tell him I'd shot my first eagle "in the wild."

Cheryl

Quote:

Wow! Can I give a list to your Santa too? You've got a better one than I do, and I've been trying to be nice, not naughty.
grin.gif

You can try, I don't think it'll work though. LOL.

I don't think he'll be leaving me one either -- I don't think I could even carry it.

Cheryl

Quote:

Monopod, ma'am, monopod.
grin.gif

I am quite pleased with the 200mm with the 2x TC -- it's fine for me at the moment, though if my interest in birding continued I'd get the 400mm prime. But the 200mm isn't doing too badly. Here's a couple of shots wide open from the other day -- both at ISO 800 as the weather was so horrible and handheld.

52310424.52310424.jpg

52275370.madmax.jpg

Great pictures Cheryl! Thanks for sharing. I look at them and see great pictures and you "experts" wish for better. i wish that I could take them as well as you. OK what I really wish is that when I was out duck hunting I would see some of them! Great definition and clarity! Again, thanks for sharing! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo