• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

OK this here cost me two rounds at the Lodge this afternoon. I did manage to get the rest of the sauce recipe. You may have to doctor this to your taste but it is what we like here at the Lodge.

2 lb ground beef

1 cup onions; finely chopped ( sweet onion )

1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder

1/8 teaspoon cayenne

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

16 oz tomato puree

1 cup water

1 tablespoon salt

1 Cup Lard ( if you like a real oily tasty sauce. ) We do

Brown ground beef then add all ingredients to a crock pot and let simmer on high till bubbling. Then reduce to low and let simmer. You can start to use it after an hour or so or just let it continue to simmer and use as needed.

Assembly:

Grill hot dogs. Preferred bun size skinny casing wieners. ( Geo Forman grills work great for cooking your dogs)

Steam your buns ( can be done by just putting them in the microwave in the plastic bag ) and then storing them in the top of the Foreman grill.

Remove and lightly brush with butter

Brush with yellow mustard

Place wiener

Two to three spoonfuls of sauce

Two to three spoonfuls of finely diced sweet onion

Lightly salt

Left over sauce can be stored in small plastic containers and micowaved as needed.

From the kitchen of the Lake Iwanttobethere Lodge.

Growing up here on Lake Iwanttobethere in the summer I did not get to do things that city kids did in the summer. But I think I had a better summer in the country. But I do think that things are different from small town to small town. When I was twelve I spent part of the summer on what my parents refereed to as a vacation. I along with my sister were dropped off at grandma's for two weeks. Grandma lived about a hundred miles away in a small town of maybe 600 people. I don't remember everything that happen that vacation but some things do stick out and I was just thinking about them. Of course having had time to reflect on that vacation some forty some years later makes it all the more interesting and raises some questions. Like where did my parents go with out us for two weeks?

Anyway being twelve and not a man of the world yet this of coarse was a great adventure for me. I knew who grandma was of course, she came every Christmas and would send me a card on my birthday. I would receive a crisp dollar, which was a big deal 40 years ago. She was divorced from my Grandfather which is no big deal now but I guess was back then. My Grandfather had heard I was coming and in the garage I found a fishing pole and a metal tackle box filled with hooks, bobbers and a few lures. Grandpa owned a tackle shop in another town 60 miles away. A note told me to enjoy my vacation. With no bike I had to walk to the nearest water which was about a half a mile away. That is where I met the gang. Like every town this town had a gang of boys my age who did the same things that I did with my buds back home. Of course I had to join this gang and in doing so I had to go through a few dares or what I was later to find out was called an initiation.

The first dare was to sit in an old wooded station wagon that was parked in a pasture and smoke cigarettes till you could not see each other in the car. I was doing good in this challenge till the sheriff drove up behind us. We of course could not see him because we could not see out the windows. As luck would have it he open my door and I was the only one he grabbed as the smoke and other guys came tumbling out. I got to see more of the town in my ride back to grandma's house.

I woke up to the screaming of my grannies voice as she yelled up the stairs at 6 in the morning " Daylight in the swamp" I still to this day have no idea what that means but I have used it to wake up my own kids when they are in trouble. The rest of that day was spent doing chores for grandma, including taking the garbage to the dump. Something that only really small towns did. By 7 that night grandma was in bed for the night and by 7:30 I was out the window and in the backyard. I caught my sister who was 16 coming off the porch roof. Without saying a word we bonded that moment and both headed our separate ways.

My next dare or adventure as I prefer to remember them by was a ride down main street in the front bucket of a back hole. With the bucket fully extended I was able to see quite a distance. I saw the sheriff coming before the other guys did. I got to see more of the town from the back seat of the sheriffs car. His name was Sheriff Ricks and we were on a first name basis now. The next day I weeded grandma garden and beat rugs.

The rest of my vacation was pretty uneventful. I was in.. I played baseball, dived from a pretty high tree into what I was told was going to be a much deeper swimming hole and was shown how to avoid the bull in getting to and from this pond that had monster fish, only they were not biting that day. With my parents coming to get me the next day my vacation was at an end. The guys had something special for me my last night. As I climbed out from my window I saw the flitting glimpse of my sister ducking around the garage. Meeting up with the guys we headed for the lumber yard. Here I was told was a my last challenge. Hiding behind a pile of lumber we waited for the lights in the office to go off and the last employee to drive off. Here I was told about the Crow Call. Seems this town has a crow call that they use only on special occasions to call all the crows in from the field. They can't use it very often or it would not work. On the side of the big lumber yard barn was a big black button, you have to push the button in and hold it for a five count. If I did this I would be a life long member of the group...

Well I did stop and think about this for awhile. I never really heard of a crow call before and we did not have one back in Lake Iwanttobethere. Maybe this is something I should look in to and we should have one back home. Well a little more pressure and some daring from my new buds and I decide I would do it. I slowly worked my way around the pile of wood and slipped across the yard. Heading for the wall I could just make out the button in the now darkening night. Looking back I saw my buddies walking backwards away from me.. I reached out and held down the button. Counting One... Two... Three... Four.... A humm started from somewhere above me.. Five..... Now the humm was started to become a louder and louder scream... Gee it sound a lot like our fire siren at home... O shi....... I started to run after my buddies who were no where to be seen... The siren was now wailing behind me and lights were coming on all around me.. The church bells started to ring joining the noise that the siren was now pealing out all around me.

I made it back to Grannie's I was through the window and in bed just as Grannie came in the door. "Come on out here" she said. I pulled on a robe and went out into the living room . Grannie was standing on the front porch looking towards the Lumber yard. Talking out loud she said "someone pulled the lumber yard fire siren but I don't see any flames" I acted interested and said " I was wondering what that noise was" the next morning my parents arrived and as I loaded up my suitcase they were talking to Grandma about my visit. And if anything happen. Grandma just looked at me and smiled and said " No just a nice quiet vacation"

As we drove out of town we were pulled over by Sheriff Ricks. My dad got out and they shook hands. All I could see is the Sheriff patting my dad on the back, some laughing and then Sheriff Ricks pointing at me and my sister. My dad nodding his head and then shaking sheriffs Ricks hand again. Dad got back in the car and with a wave we continued out the two lane road leaving the town behind us. Looking back at me in the rear view mirror all my dad said was that we would talk later. We never did, later I found out Sheriff Ricks and my dad played ball against each other and my Ma used to date him. I was pretty good for the rest of that summer, just waiting for the talk.. From Lake Iwanttobethere (10305)

Mindy and Mandy were by today and returned my trailer. They had been to the big city to pick up an order of supplies for their root beer business. With Spring here it won't be long now and this years batch of root beer will be available. Had a few flashes of lightning off in the distant out over the lake earlier. Another good sign of Spring when we get some showers. Ice is starting to be unsafe in places a good rain will keep people off. A few pot holes are also showing up and we are not talking about the kind you go fishing in. Those deep holes filled with water that tear your front end off and leave your coffee all over the ceiling of your truck. Even Bud and Barney lean back into the seat when I drive this time of the year. They give me the look, as we bounce through the pot holes. Of course it might be a good idea just to go down to Dug's and have him put some new shocks on for me. After this winter they don't seem to be there any more, Just kind of flatten out. Always something to fix when Spring shows up. Never fails you put something away working and it is broke when you take it out. Of course you can put things away broke and they don't fix themselves either so there is nothing fair.

Have had a few telephone calls over the past few days as a few of my customers that I have guided for over the years are calling and confirming their annual fishing trips. Have not advertised for years but I stay just as busy as I want to be with repeat customers. I consider most of these guys as friends and it is sometimes hard to take their money but it sure does pay for my fishing and a few bills around the homestead. One time I had the Dodge broke down and my customer towed the Puddle Humper because he did not want to miss the day. Now those are the kind of customers you want to keep once you find them. We have talked about doing a bed and breakfast but don't want to mix to much business with pleasure. So that does not look like it will happen for awhile. Elmer was going to do that but after I saw his house rules I don't think he was going to get many repeat customers. I don't think Elmer had the grasp of customer service.

In Elmers bed and breakfast the customer would make the breakfast and serve Elmer. They also were required to make their own beds and change linen before they left. He would include boat rental if they cleaned fish and there was some real fine print about the outhouse. He would cater pizza from Del's but they would have to take the boat into the bay to catch their dinner. Because Del can't get a straight shot to Elmers with the pizza cannon. Then there was an issue with a license and taxes. Elmer to his credit didn't think that the guest should have to pay them, of course he did not think he should have to either. He went to a B and B on the other side of the lake and he did not like it. They would not let him cook in their kitchen and words were said when he washed his swamp boots in their washing machine. He had the other guests wading in front of their dock looking for oysters and telling them there were pearls in them. Elmer had them catching the crayfish and saying they were small lobsters. Elmer of course took home all the crayfish and mussels at no charge. Cutting up frog legs in the dinning room was the last straw and Elmer was asked to leave.

On the bright side I did buy a new ten foot crappie rod when I was in the big city. Had some time between doctor appointments and there was a bait shop between doctors offices so I thought I would check it out. That crappie rod was calling my name so I thought I would bring it home so it would not be a distraction to anyone else named Bobby. I have it in the back hall with several other rods so it can't be over heard by the wife. It did have to stay behind the seat of the Dodge for 24 hrs till the wife was not home to see me bring it in. In a few weeks I am sure it will be quiet enough to bring it out to the dock and test it. The receipt and packing material has already been put through the shredder. Part of the family now. From Lake Iwanttobethere (10376)

bobby, boy does that bring back memories!

we got shipped to grandmas too. except for the whole summer!

we were on a lake tho, so fishing even got boring after a few

months. thats all we had to do. had a resort next to us so we

would hang out with the boys there. and watch the girls

sun bathe. yep that was the life!

randy aka bbqhead

The sweet smell of Maple syrup is coming from over at Chuck's. He has been out the last few days checking his buckets and the sap is starting to run. He has a business in the garage that he has had for several years and just in the past few he has been making enough that he can do some bottling and he has an agreement with Ma and Pa's for selling. The Dew Drop buys a lot for their pancakes and the Lodge will be having a pancake day later in the spring and we will also feature the syrup. Chuck has been spending a lot of time trying to come with a catchy name for his product as that is half the battle. Nothing yet, so for now it is just Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup. Sure does smell good at night with the smell of Maple smoke and Maple syrup boiling away. Don't hurt that Mindy and Mandy are over to help out either. I think Chuck is trying to get the girls to sell some syrup on the island this summer to.

With warm Spring weather coming and the ice starting to get thin in places the talk around the table at the Dew Drop has been about Smelting. Getting that late snow sure will help with putting some water in the streams. Was looking pretty bleak there. A little rain here yesterday, not a lot but anything is better then nothing. Would like to see a few all day drippers before fishing starts. Of course Spring has just got here so we have lots of time for rain and maybe even some more snow to come. Snow is all but gone on the south side of the cabin but on the north side I still have two feet under the trees. The same way out in the woods. I was out walking yesterday and a few of the gulches are filled with snow. I am not walking to fast so I am spending more time looking around then putting ground behind me. Knee is feeling better everyday, at least I think it is. Might be that I have been to the Drs. twice this week and the thought of having surgery and being laid up for awhile is not something that I am looking forward to. Have to go into town and get an MRI tonight. They run them machines at all hours of the day and evening. Guess they are so expensive that they can't afford to have them sit idle. That should be an experience. Guess I will find out what it will feels like to be a minnow in a minnow bucket.

Well I felt like a really big minnow in a really small tank. All in all it was a good experience. Some good looking techs took care of me and I was in and out in an hour. Now I just have to wait around and hear what the doc has to say. I might have to spend some time in town and away from the Lodge. This might be the chance for Elmer to take my place and write a few stories. Staying in town will be ok as I will have the daughter and grand kids to pamper me for a few days. The old dogs Sadie and Lady will give me some love I am sure. Bud and Barney and especially Pepper are to ramie for me to be trying to get any rest with a banged up knee. Just like when you hit your thumb with a hammer you bang and bump that thumb for the rest of the day. Having knee work will be like painting a big target on my knee. On more then one occasion they have ran me over coming in the door. Not to mention the cats like to lay on it for some reason.

With Spring here the birds are making a return and all three cats are in the window sills. Tails flicking away as they look at meals on wings flying by. Does not help to have the gray squirrels out in the feeder either. Should have gotten a picture the other day of all three dogs and all three cats sitting by the deck door looking out at a plump gray feeding in the bird feeder. Talk about a group united for a single purpose. Dogs are kept in the house this time of year. To muddy outside and the cats are never let outside. They just get to watch.

Going to be a little get together at the Lodge this evening, one of our members is celebrating his birthday. Well he is having a birthday and we are celebrating. I have been doing a better then average job of actually getting paperwork for Lodge membership filed. We noticed the other day that NYTELYTER was having a birthday and we decide to have a little get together. Since it is not a normal lodge night we had to spread it word to mouth about the gathering. Going over the records I wrote the birthday down on a yellow post it note and stuck it to the side of the cash register. Elmer saw it and passed it on to Chuck. Chuck mentioned it to Mindy and Mandy in the garage and they of course passed it on at the Dew Drop. Gus picking up buns passed it on to Amy and she told Ma and Pa's when she went to get her order of beef.. Hammering Hank over heard Ma talking on the phone when he was there working on the back door and the Hank told Dug when he stooped to get his saw back. Dug told Del when he went to pay for this week's pizza orders and Del told Mark when his mail came in, After that Mark just mentioned it in passing to everyone when delivering the mail. Beer guy called me at the lodge and asked if I wanted to add a keg or two to today's delivery. So I guess we are having a party.

I figure that if Nytelyter is in the area he will find out about his own birthday party and will be here when it starts around 8 tonight. So not anything left for me to do but take the coney sauce out of the freezer. I love it when you have a system and it all comes together. So Nytelyter happy birthday to you. May you find sweet smelling wind in your sail, a pull on your line and a jingle always in your pocket. May you wake up in the morning and not ache and remember where you are when you go to bed at night. May your friends be many and your troubles few. And like all men, all of us here at the Lodge don't care how old you are. I'll even go so far as to buy the first round and since it is just me and Willy here I'll buy it now... Happy birthday.. From Lake Iwanttobethere (10451)

Another sign of spring here at Lake Iwanttobethere, skunk! Not that unusual but mix the smell of skunk with the sweet smell of maple syrup cooking away and it does have it's own special odor. I decide to go into town and have some breakfast at Amy's this morning. There I ran into another sure sign of spring. Tinker and his sons Dirk and Duncan were having breakfast also. Tinker and his sons run a flyin fishing service on the lake. They had come up over the weekend and were in town picking up supplies. Normally they would flyin with their old float plane but with ice on the water they took the drive around the lake. Tinker has been on the lake over 30 years that I know of. He once had a flyin resort way up there in the tree line but when his wife insisted that they move in closer to civilization. She didn't want to have to fly somewhere to get groceries and baby clothes. So he found a nice quiet bay on Lake Iwanttobethere and built a resort and put in a few cabins on some of the out lying bays.

The first year he kept the lodge full and the cabins did good business to. The Lake has all kinds of good fishing so it was not to hard to put the guys who wanted walleyes in the walleye bay and the Northern guys in the northern bay. Bass are every where and there is a few streams with good trout fishing. By accident he had found his dream fishing lakes all on one lake. The old float plane spent most of it's time tied to the dock bobbing in the wake of boats heading out to the cabins. One day a client wanted to go up and take a ride. Tinker took him up and they flew around the bay some. The client mentioned that this Lake Iwanttobethere was really a very big lake and that is when Tinker had a brain storm. He started to fly his clients out to their cabins and just left the boats there. The clients now thought they were getting flyin trips to secret mysterious lakes. Tinker was happy, he got to fly everyday. The wife was happy she could drive into town and it was not to long after that Dirk and Duncan were born. Once Tinker had a client that wanted a real wilderness experience. He and his group wanted to be way out in the middle of no where. Tinker took them up an flew in circles for an hour and then landed them 10 minutes from the resort. When he returned to get them five days later they could not stop talking about their life altering adventure. Tinker was going to show them on the map where they had been but decided to let them keep there dream.

Chuck, Elmer and I took a day trip fishing with Tinker many years ago. Tinker was bragging about how he had this great small mouth spot on the lake and when we asked him where it was he said he would fly us in to it. Well we took him up on it. With a game of paper, rock, scissors I won the front seat. If you have ever flown in a float plane the front seat is not where you want to sit. These little planes don't actually fly level, they have a tilt upwards. Sitting in the front seat you can't see anything in front of you. You can only see where you have been, not where you are going. My goal of scouting the lake was not going to happen. Elmer and Chuck were busy in the back seat nipping on a flask that Elmer had in his vest. Didn't know they had never flown before. Of course once Tinker found that out, a quiet level flight was out of the question. As we were flying I had nothing better to do then watch Tinker fly and look over the instrument panel of the plane. I notice off to the side was a cluster of three fuel gages and they all were resting on E. Tapping Tinker on the shoulder I asked him which gage shows the gas. He just yelled over the engine noise that we can go farther if we carry less gas.. I siched down the seat belt a little tighter and grabbed a pull from the flask.

Coming over a bay that I had never seen before we started to drop like a rock. The tall Pines around the shoreline were getting bigger and bigger by the second. Tinker yelled at me saying he likes to see how close he can come to the tree tops. We dropped over the last pine and I swear we brushed the top as we set down on the water of the bay. In a moment we had coasted to a stop and the waves in a big vee rolled away from us rolling up on the shore and all was quiet. Tinker hopped out on to a float and pulling a paddle from behind the seat he got us to shore. He had a boat tied to the shoreline and ten minutes later I was doing battle with a very nice small mouth. He was right we had some great small mouth fishing and I forgot where we were and soon lost in the experience. We did the whole bit. Shore lunch, pictures, crackling fire and when dusk came it was time to leave. The boat was pulled up to shore and we loaded up the plane. Before pushing off from shore Tinker pulled some pine cones from around the tail and climbed in. A moment later we were zipping across the lake headed right for an island of thick pines not 300 yards away. Acting cool and calm I patiently waited for Tinker to pull up. Tinker continued to gain speed and looking out the side window I don't think he was aware of the island that was filling what little I could see out the front of the plane. With no room to spare Tinker stood the little plane on it's wing tip and we flew past the side of the island. All I could see was water a few feet away from me and hear the screaming of Chuck and Elmer in the rear, but they will never admit it.

The trip was not over yet. Calming myself by using a yoga trick that my wife taught me and I thought I would never use. I sat back in the chair and try to enjoy the rest of the flight. Looking down I thought I could see the bay that Elmer, Chuck and I live on. Turning in my seat I could see the town. Quickly I tried to get some bearings as to were we were. I was going to be able to get back to Tinker's little hide away. Tinker either seeing what I was doing or as a matter of routine flipped the little plane on it's back and then into some kind of a roll and about then I was having a hard time keeping my lunch down. I lost all track of where I was till I saw the lake coming up fast. No trees in sight so I was feeling good till we hit the water and instead of pulling the throttle back he was pushing it forward. With nothing but the tail end of the floats in the water we were ripping across the lake doing 90 and twin roster tails of water were shooting up behind the plane. Tinker smiling said "You can troll if you like" and just like that our fishing day was over.

We have fished together since then of course but I like to bring the Puddle Humper over to the resort and take Tinker out. His sons have both grown up now and are some of the best fishing guides on the lake, they have kids of their own and the resort is really family oriented. I joined them for breakfast and we talk of the wilds of Lake Iwanttobethere. (10527)

Seems to be one of them days. You know where one thing just leads to another. Went out to the road to pick up the mail and took my time coming back to the cabin. Had my head up watching bald eagle after bald eagle soar above the tree line. Check the temperature and it said 72 out. Well that called for opening a few windows so I set off to find screens. Can't have an open window with the cats. Put in a few screens and open up some windows. To nice to be inside so I headed out to the deck. Thought as long as I was out I would put a few deck chairs out. Went to the shed and got some chairs and decided to open the back of the shed up to get some air. Have not been in there for awhile and was not happy at what I found. I had a 50# sack of grass seed up on the shelf and the dang mice got into it. Seed all over the floor, but the bad part was the wife's cloth screen for her outside lounge was laying on top of the grass seed. The mice had chewed right through the screen to get to the seed. There might be a small discussion when she gets home tonight as I told her with complete conviction that it would be just fine there over the winter. I hung it up figuring I could just put the missing part towards the rear and she would not notice. Dang mice chewed both the front and back panels. I tossed it in Elmers garbage can. I will just act innocent as to it's where abouts until I can order a replacement. I hope Earl can find me one or I may be taking a trip into the city.

Having done all that I decide it was time to just lite a cigar and sit on the deck and watch the eagles soar. Air is heavy with moisture as the snow is melting still and the aroma of Buddy, Barney and Pepper is being revealed as the snow melts. With woods all around me you think they would search out a more private area and at least get away from the cabin. I have my handy clipboard at hand and from time to time I make an entry for something that needs to be done. Can't sit to long with out seeing something that needs to be fixed or something that needs to be added to or taken away from. I guess I should have finished roofing that shed last fall, little water on the floor in there. Should have packed them wheel bearing on the puddle humper to. Have to make a note of that. Now I have to go out to the shed and vacuum all that spilled grass seed and then run it through a screen. Don't want the dropping in with the seed. Of course I could just go and toss the seed on the ground but then I would just attract more of them sparrows. Think I'll just practice my smoke rings on the deck instead. Hmmm I see Bud is lifting his leg on the wood pile for the fire pit, better make a note to change that wood before I start a fire. From a sunny, smelly, warm day here at Lake Iwanttobethere. (10551)

I must be getting good or something. I kind of predicted that we would have a few good rain days before fishing started up and we are in store for a week of foul weather. Nothing wrong with that we need the rain and I would rather get it now when things are already a mess then let it all dry out and start all over again. Snow is all but gone and there is a ring of water around Lake Iwanttobethere. Ice is not safe at all to be out on now. A few days ago it was in the low 70's and we will be lucky to hit 40 today. Winds are pushing what leaves I have left in my yard into Elmers. Think I might have acted in haste bring out the deck chairs but they are wet now and I am not about to put them back into the shed. Chuck is still cooking sap and the smell clings to the ground. If the winds shifts just right it blows across my deck and I can get a whiff of it. Otherwise it is all blowing out over the lake. He is just about done cooking and from what I have seen he had a very good year.

With all the snow pretty much gone now we see what has been left behind. People have been very good removing everything off the lake and it looks good. Frank the plow driver did tell me about one of the smaller access areas on the lake where someone had dumped shingles along the roadway and it looks like a pickup load of junk in the ditch. The Dickerson's have that stretch of roadway and have pretty much already cleaned the ditch and roadway up. They were going through it trying to fine anything with a name or address on it so the sheriff could follow up on it. To bad people are so lazy that they just dump that stuff like that. I will be keeping an eye open for any roofing that was done on the lake.

The furnace if off but I have a nice fire going in the fireplace. Dogs are stacked on top of each other laying in front of it. Cats have taken to laying on top of the mantle. Had to take the pictures down as they kept knocking them off. Everyone smells like Maple smoke. I'll bet a guy could make some money on a cologne with that scent, could call it Woodsmen or something like that. Could come up with a 10-30 oil tanning lotion to. I'll bet we could sell it to them city boys. Spent some time down at the General Store with Earl this morning. No luck on a replacement screen for the swing. So we sipped coffee and looked out the at the coming and going of customers and towns folks. Talked some Twins baseball and even talked a little Brewers. While I was there I picked up an order of Balsa wood that we need for the Lodge tonight. Willie will be having a lure carving class. I will of course attend and see if I can learn anything new from the master. Several years ago I tried my hand at making top water lures but I was bored with the time it took to hand whittle them with a knife. It didn't take any time at all to just cut the balsa in to small blocks and the take them over to the drill press. By putting 16 pd finishing nail in the press I could stick a block of wood on the nail and with some sand paper I could shape a plug in under a minute. I still have some of them around here somewhere. They are painted in some wild colors as we got bored with the hand painting. I'll try again tonight but I am always looking for a quicker way of doing things. Which reminds me I better check in with Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop and see if our order of hooks and props are in.

Last week of March here but I am already starting to go a little stir crazy here. I thought that snow we got would delay things for awhile but it melted pretty quick there. Now we have rain which is welcomed but with the windy weather can't really do to much outside. Should get my walk in but hard to hold my hat on my head. Maybe I'll just go down to the Lodge early and see what the guys are up to. I am sure there are stories being told. There was a bear in the dumpster the other night. Even that is a little early for this time of the year. All he got was a few coney buns and some cake crumbs from Nytelyte's birthday party. After Dan's man dog Gracie got into the cake there was not to much left. I think we have Nytelyter convince into giving us sailing lessons this summer. At the very least he can show us knots and how to wear them fancy sailing clothes. I think I could rig a sail in my old wood row boat. When we were kids we would put our rain poncho's between paddles and then let the wind push our canoe across the water. Found out it don't work so good when you have to go back the way you came. But them sail guys have some way of making their boats go against the wind so we need to figure that part out. Well I better get going here, from the windy, rainy shores of Lake Iwanttobethere. (10607)

yup was a lookin at the hobie cat just yesterday and plannning on the course of things to do before she hits the water this spring. the ice on the lake is as dark as a summer thunderstorm. and i know open water is very near. have to finish getting the hulls polished this spring and a few mends made to the trampoline and we will be in business. i would love to give a few lessons on how to sail a catamaran. but am bu no means one of dem experts. and i am always lookin for a trap man on those real windy days.in case ya didnt know bobby. a trap man is the one that hangs out over the side of the boat on a wire that connects towards the top of the mast and acts as a counter balance to keep the boat from going over on real windy days. i see the guys from the cat club doing it. but i am not sure if that darn wire is fa tass load rated for me. im tellin ya tho you can get those ol hobie 18s a moveing with a guy on the wire. i aint quite figgered out how to put some rod holders on the craft for some trolliing. but i would bet elmer could rig something up for me. welll i am off to the shop to meet up with a few vendors before i get my shift started. see you at the lake. ... paul

"the ice on the lake is as dark as a summer thunderstorm" Great line Nytelyter and o so true. Sitting here in the lodge looking out through deck doors down at Lake Iwanttobethere that is a perfect description of the view. Ice pellets bounce of the Lodges glass windows and the creaking of branches and trees can be heard over the howling of the wind. From time to time a branch can be seen blowing across the deteriorating ice of the lake. Guys take turns going over to the fireplace and give it a stir. The fire after being adjusted crackles and gives of a few flares of light. Several member are in the Lodge this afternoon. Scattered about sitting at the tables or like Elmer on the wicker couch watching some spring baseball. The bottle of aspirin is sitting on the bar top and from time to time someone will shake the bottle and take a few. When we get into these weather changes that last a few days the old bones start to ache. Of course we tuff it out at home in front of the wife but when we are in the company of our peers we don't have a problem reaching for the aspirin. Of course with every ache there is always a story behind it. From football to basketball even some of the guys will talk of softball injuries. The best ones are always stories of the sore shoulder from landing that Musky or paddling so long through the waves that the back will never be the same. Carrying that buck a mile or wading through a frozen pond.

Good to just kind of sit and do nothing. Plenty of time later for the honey do list. Trouble is the more time I sit here doing nothing the more I am mentally adding to my do list. Even here at the lodge we have a do list and not much of it is getting done today. But that is ok. The heat from the fire and the changing view from the bar looking out over the lake is restful. Soon we will be seeing some big holes in the ice and then there will be more open water then ice. After that the ice chunks will be floating around and that is what we will be talking about. The trees will start to bud and things across the lake will start to take on a green haze. Then one day there will be leaves on the trees and the grass will be more green then brown. The dock will get rolled in down at the access and the port a potties will be installed. Garbage barrels will appear and our pile of orange barrels will be picked up by the county and be gone. In there place will just be and open parking lot with a bunch of round rings in the dirt from the barrels. Won't take any time at all after that and there will be a trailer in the lot, No one will see when it came but if we grab the spotting glasses and we will find a boat out on the water. Someone will be out fishing for open water crappies.

Chairs will find there way out on to the deck and windows will be opened. More of the guys will be sitting on the deck with a beer in hand and cigar smoke will be drifting skyward before the wind catches it and blows it away. More trucks will appear in the lot and a variety of trailers behind them. A tent from no where will be in the camping area and just like that fishing will be here. Smelting will start and then the lot will be filled in the evening and Hank will be selling firewood from the back of his truck. The mini donut trailer will be here and the smelt fry tent will be put up. The Lodge will get busy as locals and out of towners come in looking to use the washrooms. We will start ordering extra boxes of chips and candy bars for the kids. Spring will be here and summer will not be far behind.

As for now none of that is going on. Just a bunch of friends watching a little baseball, playing some cards and looking out the window at rain falling and wind blowing. Plenty of time for doing stuff later. From Lake Iwanttobethere (10671)

Well we finally did it. Reed was here this afternoon and we signed the papers. We have sold the Lodge. They are going to come in and put one of them big box stores in here. It is going to have a tackle dept. So masterbaiters will be out of business here soon to. Vicki has no problem with that as they offered her a chunk of money so they can build a service building where her shop is now. We are taking the lodge money and will be dividing it up between the members. Number of membership years divide by any past dues owed. We will be cleaning the walls off and bring it up to that Twig swap meet and see what we can get for it.

We have been keeping this under wraps but have talked about it over the past several meetings. Elmer who is one of the last founding fathers has decide to retire to a small island in the south pacific. Has been on the Internet talking with some gal name mooie. She is a princes and can get Elmer a deal on a thatch hut with coral fencing with his own lagoon. No more jet ski's bothering him. Time for me and the boys to move back to the big city to. Can't get a good cup of coffee here and there is a starbucks on every corner in the city. Not to mention the stores stay open till ten so you can buy beer late. This may come to a surprise to some of you but this small town stuff can get old after awhile. Well have a good day, they are coming to turn off the power.(10698)

hmmmm i wonder if the date of this post has anything to do with the content. good thing my point of land is on the far side of the lake. but i cant help but think of the light pollution the new store will create. ... paul

My heart skipped a beat, and I didn't get it until Dan pointed it out. Even Paul slipped it by. Nice one! A tear will roll when that gets posted for real. Thanks for the heart-hiccup, Bobby!

Yesterday proved to be an interesting day. I had the afternoon planned to go trout fishing in the afternoon. Woke up to another breezy wet day but plans are plans. The wife went into town to get some groceries at Ma and Pa's and then to Amy's for some loose meat sandwiches. Since as you all know I have a tradition of Silentl Sundays I stayed at the cabin and took care of some paper work and did a little web surfing. When the wife came home she set grocery bags down in the dining room as she did not want to walk through the house with muddy feet. A few minutes later she came and asked me if I saw a white bag with bagels in it from Amy's She could not find them. About an hour later when I was getting ready to leave she was in the kitchen giving Pepper our pit bull a lecture. She found Pepper in her crate with the bag of bagels. Dog must have picked them up between trips to the jeep. She was scolding her just like you would scold any three year old. I just nodded and continued on my way. As I was going out the door I happen to look back and see both Bud and Barney sitting in front of the fireplace. They had their bagels leaning up against the spark screen, I guess they were toasting theirs.

Arriving next door at Chucks, Elmer was just cutting through the yard. Did not take us long to put the waders and rods and coolers and boxes in the back of Chucks explorer and we were out the drive and on our way. Chuck and Elmer traded barbs back and forth and I sat in the back seat admiring the view and peaceful Sunday. We arrived at the river to a packed parking access of cars, trucks and some old country station wagons. Carrying our equipment we slipped into cold waders and headed down the trail to the river. River was running pretty good and there were fishermen shoulder to shoulder in the good holes. Elmer let loose with a few good curse words at our timing misfortune. Chuck taking the lead push his way ahead of us and in a loud voice started asking if anyone had an explorer in the parking lot "You left your lights on" Several different fishermen scrambled up the bank headed towards the trail. Chuck waved Elmer and I down and we quickly stepped into the now vacant holes, filling the gaps in the fishing assault on the river. Elmer turn to Chuck and said "Did you leave the lights on ? " Chuck nods and says " Yup, but I got a spare battery"

Slipping into the cool river water I took a few steps away from the bank and the cold water flowed around my waders. In a minute I was drifting my spawn bag with the current and it took no time at all to feel the rhythm of the river. I'd liked to say fishing was great, it wasnt. I had more fish bump against my legs then I did on the end of my line. I had my rod tucked under my arm and was trying to blow some heat on my frozen fingers when a guy from across the river pitched his rig between my legs. I was going to say something but it being Sunday all I could do was give him my best glare. Before I could turn up my glare to full power he hooked a fish between my legs and his voice rang out ' FISH ON " He worked the fish to his side of the shore line and Elmer and Chuck just laughed as they were busy trying to get a drift between my legs.

Well after a few hours of this abusive behavior from my friends I made my way out of the water and started to return to the truck. Only a few trucks left in the lot and Chucks explorer sat by itself with a note hanging from the windshield. " We turned your lights off, you left them on" Well right neighborly of someone. Stuff was loaded in the back of the truck and we took the scenic route back home. Funny how we are always so much in a hurry to get to the water but we can take our time leaving. We were just about home when Chuck started to talk about the April fool joke Larry, Reed's brother in law was going to play on him today. Something about buying the Lodge and he had been sending somebody from the lodge pictures of this south Pacific princess who is really like 90 years old. Her name is like Mookie or Mooie or something. Got kind of quiet in the truck and Elmer was not saying much. I wanted to say a lot but it was still Sunday.

We stopped at the Lodge and I logged in to see that Larry had hacked into the Lake Iwanttobethere site and had gotten away with his joke. I changed the password so it won't happen again. Made a note to have a talk with Larry when he comes back in town. The guys had put a microphone on the bar in front of the seat that is marked in memory of Kirby. Found out that Herb Carneal had died that morning. Guys around here do things like that. Mic at Kirby's chair looks like it belongs there. I tipped a glass to Herb and went home.

Found the wife and all three dogs sitting and waiting for me when I got home. Hung up my vest and stood by the fire to warm up. The wife was now standing and tapping her foot. The fire was making a nice crackling sound and I could only hear about every third word or so. I was only listing to every other one anyway but it had to do something about bagels and roasting and we need to do something. I think I agreed to go to Amy's in the morning and buy replacement bagels and cheese. Looking at the dogs they did look kind of guilty and Bud was licking his lips a lot. Well from Lake Wanttobethere (10749)

12 inches of heart attack snow fell last night and yesterday. When you are a young lad it is the kind of snow that is perfect for building castles and huge snowmen. The kind of snow to build bridges out of or to "borrow" the old mans battery boxes. Fill them with snow and make building blocks. After that it was what ever you could imagine you could build. In an old mans world it is a heart attack snow. !2 inches of heavy, wet snow. To heavy to use the blower on and to heavy for an old man to be shoveling. Chuck and I just finished cleaning up the old mans place. Elmer... He was out there at 7 this morning starting to shovel. Us two youngsters came over and let him go into his management phase. Following his direction we pulled heavy snow off the roofs and using the tractor pushed it off to the side out of the way. With plenty of breaks it took us most of the morning to get it done. I spent a good part of the afternoon yesterday during the storm pushing stuff around with the tractor so I am not in to bad of shape. Chuck will wait for the sun to come out and melt his. I guess we can call it a storm when you get 12 inches of snow and it sets a record for the lake for the most snow in April.

Kind of pretty out though. The trees are heavy in snow and with the wind just starting to come up now the snow is falling off in clumps. Looking over the lake all you see is white and a few open spots. Dogs have not been in the front yard yet so it is undisturbed. Between breaks resting on our shovels you could just make out Frank the plow driver on the other side of the lake. You could hear the grader as it weaves it's way along the shoreline of the lake. Echoing as it plows the road along the bays. Sometimes you could even hear the sound of the chains slapping along the roadway. A few robins watched us sitting on the fence posts. They looked somewhat out of place and I think they were as confused as we were. First week in April for snow is not all that uncommon but we just got done with melting all of our snow and then we had that little ice storm and now this. I'm not going to complain to much, we need the water. Guess I should have put the deck furniture back in the shed when I had the chance.

I was already in town this morning to. Had to get gas at the Gas-n-Go for the blower and also a trip to the General Store. Earl was busy selling those shovels that he had ordered. Nothing like buying something out of season and being able to sell them right away. He was making a lot of people happy as he actually had snow shovels in stock. Bet ya can't find one in the big city today!

Earl is always ready, he had pulled back the cart with umbrellas, fly swatters and bug spray to the back of the store and pulled the cart with shovels, ice melt and scrappers to the front. The big old yellow bucket with mop was at hand to catch the snow melt coming in the door. Earl just beamed at the tracked in snow and said to no one in particular " liquid money" So I got my replacement shovel and a bag of ice melt just in case. Listening to Sunshine Ray on the radio looks like Chuck is going to have snow for awhile. Temps going to stay right around 30 or so. Melting is not going to happen quick. Mother nature is teasing us this year. No snow till the last month and she has been dumping on us. Riders will get in a few more runs and I'll bet the Lodge will have visitors tonight. Come ride your snowmobile to the Lodge and catch the Twins game! Only at Lake Iwanttobethere.

I think I might use my gift card tonight at Ma's Resort and Health Spa. I have this feeling that after I pull the snow off my roofs today that a good soak in Ma's hot tub and a few brandy waters using her spring water will be in order. With Spring coming sooner or later more of the business along main street will be extending their hours. Since I spend a lot of time in town I will be making my rounds so to speak. As the towns building inspector I do have to visit everyone at least twice a year. Of course being the talker that I am it sometimes takes me a while to make these rounds. Lucky for me Elmer will be doing the Fire Marshal rounds as that would mean I would have to see everyone a third time. I would never have time to do anything else.

As much as some people would not like to see it the town is growing. We get more and more people from the big city coming out here and that is good and bad. Good for business but bad for some people who are set in there ways. At last months town hall meeting there was a discussion that we needed a pay phone in the middle of town. After going to committee and being discussed it was decided to install one on the wall outside of Reed the Realtor office and next door to Doc Burriems office. We had to put in a two calls for a dollar phone. As we could not find one that took quarters any more .It was also decided that we needed to put in some parking meters to help pay for the phone as we figure no one was really going to use it but we had to have it. We bought three parking meters and installed them. After a complaint from the county we had to take the middle one and turn it into a handicap spot. So now we have two meters that no one will park in because they don't want to put a quarter in the meter but we do have a public pay phone. Reed was upset because the meters were in front of his office but now he advertise that he has the only reserved parking in town and validates, just like in the big city. Doc Buriem uses the handicap spot and now ties his car to the meter.

So let summer come. I have had enough snow, I have had enough white. I long for open waters. The sound of honkers flying low and slow across the bay. Can't wait for that first night on the deck with the setting sun and the call of a loon. Barney standing on the dock looking for sunfish and Bud on alert looking for the old goose. Hearing the small waves lapping at the old wood rowboat. The smell of BBQ and the faint sound of a baseball game carried by the wind across the lake. Winter is done, will it go already !!! From the snow covered, nothing is green shores of Lake Iwanttobethere... (10828)

[image]http://payphone.jpg[/image] Here is a picture of the recently installed pay phone here at Lake Iwanttobethere. The phone is between Reed the Realtors office and the office of Doc Burriem's.. Two calls for a dollar, we think that is a good deal!

You know I thought I already wrote all about melting snow, and mud appearing and pot holes and everything that comes with the ending of winter and the coming of spring. But with an ice storm and then 12 inches of snow it was like winter never really ended. If I didn't have a note here about the 72 degree day that would have all but been forgotten. Reminds me a lot of when my parents would measure me and my brothers against the kitchen door. Every year there would be a new pencil mark on the door showing how much we had grown. With out that reminder we would have forgotten. I guess writing about things here at the lake is like putting a pencil mark on the kitchen door.

I posted a picture of the new pay phone. By the end of summer we will have forgotten all about it and it will just be another thing here at the lake we will take for granted till we need it and it does not work. We went for a long time with a burn out bulb in the towns street light and just never thought about it till it was repaired and now we don't think about it being on. Just take things for granted. I guess we take Wade for granted. He is out garbage man. I can hear him outside the Lodge right now as I just heard the boom of the dumpster being unloaded into his truck. We would sure notice him if he didn't show up. We don't notice Frank the plow driver for most of the year. But as soon as we get that first snowfall we wonder when he is going to show up. Mark the mailman is popular when income tax refund check time comes around. But most of the time he is just bring bills and junk mail. I try and make a point of knowing everyone. To some that makes me a busy body to others they like that someone knows there name. I have always thought that name tags were there so you could say hi.

Well with spring coming for the 2nd time this year we had the town meeting last night at the lodge. There was no baseball game on TV and we were just kind of sitting around and there was enough of the founding fathers so any decision could be voted on or at least discussed. We talked some about advertising. Maybe it is time for the town to take a more positive approach in promoting itself. We have a small budget, used mostly for postcards and a calendar. We were talking about maybe making some bumper stickers. We kind of sat around and discussed some ideas for them. The Lodge has a bigger budget. But then the Lodge sponsors fishing contests and is a big backer of the ice house fling and 4th of July celebration. As much as we did not want to we added the three parking meters to the one that we have. The paper work keeping track of the meters and having to have someone go out and empty them so far costs more then the revenue brought in. That might change in summer when the traffic is more then two cars at a time on the street. We tabled the discussion for further review. The town hall is awaiting the final rush of locals needing help with there taxes. I will be spending a few hours a day down there doing what I can to help out. Ruby T. our very own ragtime piano player will be entertaining everyone in the afternoons. Ruby gives private lessons in her home and as spring comes she has her windows open and you can here the kids playing. Much better then in the fall, I must say they have made improvements over the winter.

Have been noticing with the coming of daylight savings time there are more people out and about in the evening. More locals out taking walks in the evening and some of the weekend folks have been showing up. As you know we still have the rule against mowers and chain saws on the weekends so if someone needs to do work it needs to be done during the week. Friday the lumber yard and General store get a lot of traffic. Been quiet at the Masterbaiters shop and Vicki has been using the time to dust and clean and rearrange tackle and displays. Lucky for her Wolfgang Puck has already committed to supply her with all the bait she needs so there will no problem with that this season. Won't be to much longer and we will be hearing the peppers in the ponds and along the lake shore. That will be a real big sign that spring is here. Hawks are still riding the thermals over the lake and a few owls are moving in to. Dug has been selling bearing kits and has a few outboards showing up at the shop for tune ups.

Can't decide if I should go out in the kitchen here and make up some grilled cheese sandwiches or head down to the dinner for lunch. The Trolley open last week after being closed all winter for remodeling. Vic took the winter off and did some traveling and brought back some new items for the menu. I am thinking about going down there for the lunch special of fried tatters, onions, mushrooms and pork pan fried and served with apple pie and a big glass of milk. If I walk down and back maybe I can justify it. I know something smells good. That is one of the best things about spring. Everyone starts cooking up there house specials and the prevailing winds takes it all right down to the lake and to the Lodge. We open a window and we are assaulted with great smells. Makes our grill kind of puny. But our Coney's and chili smell great in the winter.

From the window here I can see that Mindy and Mandy are just going into the Trolley. Well that settles it fried tatters and the Mindy and Mandy to look at. I'm headed to the Trolly, better then watching Elmer eating popcorn and watching his soap on the Lodge's tv. From Lake Iwanttobethere (10924)

Easter is here but you can't tell by the weather. Looks nice and sunny out then you step outside to brisk cool winds off the lake. I spent a few minutes on the deck and then headed back into the comfort of the den and the sunshine coming in through the windows. Dogs all have places on the floor staked out and they are moving across the floor as the sun shifts. Have the Twins baseball game on and am doing some work on the Lodge and town flyer's. As we briefly touch on before we are looking at doing some advertising and I was just looking over some of the events that we have going on here and in the surrounding area.

Well we don't have a racetrack but we do have cow races at the McDoogles farm. Along with sheep shearing and egg plucking. Greased pig roundups are also a visitor favorite.

We don't have any hot springs or water spa's but when it gets hot in the summer we can turn the aerator on in the Been There Pond and it is kind of like a hot tub. If you don't mind picking the weeds off and the occasional snapping turtle.

We have two golf courses! A three hole and a 6 hole if you play them right you can get 18 in.

We have several berry farms and apple orchards. A lot of places where you can pick corn and weekly flea markets. At least two farm sales and the steam engine weekend. Several wildflower trails and of course the fishing at Lake Iwanttobethere is second to none.

A few bread and bed breakfast joints. Lots of resorts, dinners and camping spots. One fly in service. A casino, a couple of bars a doctor a dentist a vet. A video store a bakery, a butcher shop and a new post office. A general store a bait shop. Pizza shop featuring the pizza gun a sub shop a few convince stores and more then a few places where you can have a frosty beer and watch the sunset. A softball league, mini-donuts and a soft pretzel cart. Tractor races and ice house flings. Sporting clays and hay rides. Loons and geese, ducks and deer. Grouse hunting and skunk avoiding. Mindy and Mandy...

Guess when I start looking at things there is a lot going around here. How am I ever going to make a flyer telling people of all we have to offer? Maybe just the bumper sticker is a good idea. What ya need to do is just come on out to the lake and find out for yourself what we have to offer Then you add your memories to the lake. Your fishing adventures and camping trips. Your trips to the cabin or to Root Beer island. Lake Iwanttobethere syrup on your pancakes. Pulling your house off the ice after a winter of memories.. Fairs, corn roasts and rodeos. Dirt roads and bb guns. Playing cards on bicycles and dandelion wine. No five star hotels but if you sleep outdoors we have a million stars. No waiting, no stop lights, no starbucks no box stores no name tags no drive thrus. No mosquitoes well ok we have a few..... From Lake Iwanttobethere have a good Easter and Spring is coming a frozen robin told me so...(10965)