• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Well here is your middle of the week forecast for the Lake Iwanttobnethere and surrounding areas. One more warm day ahead and then the temps will fall off to lower 60's and hi 50's for opening weekend. I am going to go out on a thick limb here and forecast a good to excellent weekend here on Lake Iwanttobethere. Several days of above average weather and the shallows have warmed up I think we are going to find some fish on the Northern ends of the lake. If you can get in the shallows be ready for some Northern action and I think the crappies are going to be cooperating also. Still think the gills will be a little bit picky but you don't know till ya try. Walleyes will be happy to see you in the rivers and if you don't catch something in fifteen to twenty minutes move... Just because you caught them last year don't mean there going to be there this year. No real rain till late Sunday evening and most of you should be home frying up some crispy fillets. Drop me a line and lets see if I called this one right!! (12228)

Well it looks like my prediction for snow is not going to pan out. I can live with that. Another warm 80ish day out and the winds are making it comfortable to be outside. Washed off the decks and gave the Puddle Humper a good rinse. I don't know how I missed it but the grass has grown enough in the last few days that it is due for a cutting. So what do I do, continue working on the boat or take out the mower and start cutting grass..

Sitting on the swing and staying out of the sun watching the waves coming in to lap the shoreline is the best bet for now. I did finally tell Elmer about the woodchuck. Yesterday he took his dummy down from the deck and I can hear him in his cabin. He has the windows all open and is playing some old country music. I think he is trying to get back at me. I was down in town this morning. Had a few errands to run and my order came in at the Masterbaiters. Like a kid at Christmas I got my box and open it in the truck. While I was there I helped a friend of mine Jerry pick out a new 7' rod and a matching reel for it. I liked the selection so much I almost went ahead and bought the same one for myself. But since I had already bought that new 10' crappie rod that has not gotten wet yet I thought I had better hold off for awhile.

Hammering Hank and Skinny are working all over the lake. Hank has the back pocket of his bibs filled with index cards wrapped in a rubber band with owners names of docks that need to get put in the water. I saw them on the run going in and out of the General store then down to Amy's to pick up a bag of sandwiches for lunch. I caught half a wave as they headed back out. Even though it is only Thursday a lot of traffic in town. Most of the parking spaces are filled and even both spots with meters are occupied.. The Lodge was empty, only Jed's car in the lot and I found him sitting at a table putting new line on one of his rods. Coming out of the hot sun to the cool dark quiet of the Lodge was nice. Jed had not open any of the windows so it was very comfortable inside. I poured myself a nice cold Mindy and Mandy root beer in a frosty mug of course and took a seat on the deck. Looking down at the access I can see a few campers are already set up and empty boat trailers parked in the lot. Along the shore line a few boats are pulled up and and few more are just out from shore bobbing in the water. Pretty good day to be fishing for crappies and listening to the Twins afternoon game. I yelled at Jed to turn on the deck speakers so I could listen to.

Town is ready for fishing, main street has the flower barrels out, business windows cleaned and sidewalks swept. Touch up painting all done and the new Welcome to Lake Iwanttobethere sign has been installed. From what I have heard all the resorts on the lake are booked and the campground has but a few openings left. Kids will all be here on Friday night and we will be out fishing Saturday morning. Sunday is of course Mothers Day and we will be having a BBQ Puddle Humper will be in the water as will the old row boat. The kids like fishing out of that as much as the Puddle Humper. They like the oars and that just seems fitting to be fishing with bobbers in an old wood row boat. The paddle boat will be in use to. The gals will be out exercising in it. I am sure there will be a line in the water off the dock for Barney to keep watch on. Lady and Sadie will be here to, They will spend time over at Elmers as he is a soft touch for the old dogs and the milk bones. Well speaking of the paddle boat I guess I should get the tractor out and go put that in the water. Might just be a good time to take a nap, as soon as the kids get here the cabin will be full of dogs and kids and grand kids. That is the way fishing opener is suppose to be. From Lake Iwanttobethere (12252)

Things have quieted down now. Late Thursday night as I write this and just some glowing embers in the fire pit. Grand kids have all found a place to sleep for the night. With summer almost here sleeping arrangements are different from family visits in the winter. Bunk house is full and there is a tent pitched down by the shore. Boys talk in hush tones sitting in chairs pulled around in a circle near the fire pit. I can smell the smoke from Elmers pipe as he and Chuck trade stories and the boys listen. The gals are gathered in the kitchen and doing that hushed lady talk between them. That normally means they are talking about us men folk. Bud is on patrol and his ma Sadie is at his side. They walk slow and Bud goes from room to room checking on kids. After awhile he joins the group at the fire pit and he and Sadie lay down to get their ears rubbed and sides patted. Lady is here at my feet. I can look down at her and I am greeted with her brown eyes looking back at me. I rub her with my foot. She is getting pretty old and these visits here at the cabin take it out of her. Sad to say but I already have a resting place for her but I hope it will be awhile before she makes her way there. For now she is the queen of the cabin and tonight she will sleep anywhere she wants to.

Barney is down sleeping outside of the tent, either he is playing guard dog or wants to make sure no one forgets him for the first boat ride in the morning. Wind has died down and we had a great sunset. Smoke from the fires up north are starting to filter down. And they do make for great sunsets. Lucky for us we are a ways away from the fire danger but we sure do feel for the families up there. I don't know what I would do if I lost the homestead here and all the memories we have made. Easy for someone living in concrete to talk about not being in the woods and we live at our own risk with nature. I think there is a good argument that living in the city is not all that it is cracked up to be. Sure we got ticks and skeeters but I also have fishing at my door step and grouse in my back yard.. We have deer to just like them city folk but here the deer are suppose to be. I do know I don't hear the sound of a passing car with 10 speakers in it. Look over your head, they call them stars up there, not the red lights on top of a office building. As if on cue I can hear the sound of a loon.......Talk stops at the fire pit and everyone listens..... Another log is tossed on the fire and it flares up as the birch bark ignites. Guess that sound of a loon makes you want to have a little more light. Talk starts back up and my son comes to the patio door, "You coming out" in a minute I reply.

Sitting back in my chair looking at the keyboard, listening to the hushed sounds in the kitchen. The lite snoring of Lady at my feet. Pepper in her crate stirs a little and I see the cats heading to the kitchen looking for attention. Pin (Contact Us Please) of light dance around the shore line of Lake Iwanttobethere as the lake is alive with families. From time to time you can hear laughter as the wind carries it across the lake. Trees are alive swaying with the slight breeze. Cooling down but it feels good. Everyone has come up a day earlier this year. A surprise for me and the wife. As a mothers day present they came up a day sooner so they can help out around the cabin. Saying that we should not have to do all the work for their visit. Nothing wrong with that. I have a list of things that younger legs and stronger backs can do. I knew it was a good thing that I did not mow today. Well I am going to grab one of my good cigars and head out to the fire, with help here I can sleep in late, or at least till the first grand kid finds my bed. Time to shut down the computer and enjoy a weekend with family. Did I mention I had a new rod to play with? Have a good weekend, be safe. Take time to make a memory or two. Take a deep breath and no matter what you are doing this weekend enjoy your time here at Lake Iwanttobethere. (12271)

Well that was fun. Opening weekend that is. Family and neighbors, fishing and BBQ's some sunshine a lot of wind and dogs and geese. I spent late Sunday afternoon fishing in a familiar way. After all the kids and grand kids had packed up and headed home I made my way down to the dock. Pulling up the wood lounge chair that my son made in shop class 20 some years ago I adjusted the pillows and put an unbaited hook beneath a float into the water of Lake Iwanttobethere. Barney took up his position at my side and intently kept watch on the float. I know it's not right to use him like this but He is happy watching the float and I am happy to be able to put up my feet, close my eyes and not have a grand kid blind side my midsection. A nap was on my very short list of things to do. From the cabin it sure looked like I was doing some fishing, and that to was my intent.

We stayed up probably later then we should have on Friday night. Trading stories around the fire grate and listening to loons and the snoring of dogs sleeping in the grass around us. A few splashes could be heard coming from the dark waters of the lake and around midnight you could hear the sound of outboards on the lake as fishermen set out from the launches. Across the lake the resort was full of activity as the fishermen there were all set to hit the night bite. The rental boats all left at the same time and a few minutes later the resort went dark. Nothing but a lone dock lite left on. Talk around the fire grate change as we spent more time looking out over the waters at the boat lights. We asked our selves if the were doing any good and if we should go ahead and put a boat in the water. But it felt pretty good around the fire and we stayed where we were. Soon the sun started to peek up and the birds started singing. It was then that we decide to head for bed. Elmer had not said anything for awhile and as we got up to leave I noticed the old coot was already sleeping.

Mid morning on Saturday I got out of bed. Had to roll myself out as I had Lady and Sadie in bed with me and Bud was asleep at the door. Grand kids were running grand ma ragged as the daughters had gone into town to check up on friends. Dogs had come in the bedroom to hide out from the kids. Barney was on the dock fishing with Elmer. Chuck had his boat out with the sons and we could just see them with the scope off the point. It looked to me like Chuck was sleeping in the stern and the boys were watching bobbers. Ma was in a good mood as the grand kids had found the toy box and making my way through a battleground of toys tossed across the living room floor I made it to the kitchen with out breaking an ankle. Bud followed only to be hugged and pulled down to the floor by the granddaughter. He gave me a look and then rolled on his side and was soon being loved up. I got breakfast and headed to the deck. Going down to the dock I picked up the mail from Mark and he told me about the county wide fire warning. No fire pit tonight. I waved at Elmer and he came over with his pole and tackle box and we set off in the Puddle Humper for some fishing.

The water of Lake Iwanttobethere looked like some one had thrown a bag of jacks across her waters. Boats of all shapes and sizes were bobbing away. We decide to take a lazy troll around the water so setting a couple of lures over the side we began to troll. We headed toward the landing and boats were still going out, a few boats were waiting to go back in but they did not seem to be in to much of a hurry. As we passed a lot of fishermen gave us the international size of fish caught holding there hands a few inches apart or as far as they could. It was up to us to determine which size the fish really were. We ran into Earl who said he had two eater walleyes and Gus said he was doing good with some crappies over in the black bay. We came up to Chuck and the boys about an hour later and Chuck was napping in the back of the boat and the boys looked pretty tired. We convinced them to head in and get some sleep and me and Elmer would make sure there was fish for supper tonight. Leaving us in their wake we changed over to some minnow and jigs and working a spot that they were just a little bit off of. We made quick work of bring in some eyes. It didn't take long for a few boats to find us and start heading our way. Elmer with a smile tossed a buoy way off to the left of where we were fishing and we pulled the anchor up just enough to let us drift off our spot.

Took but a few minutes for several boats to get in to casting distance of us. We put a few floats on and tossed in the direction of the buoy. Sitting back we made wagers as to which boat would get the closest to us. After the 16' Lund anchored off the buoy we decide to retrieve the buoy and head out across the bay. We put out the troll lines and worked our way back to the cabin. Cleaning fish and the ladies were peeling taters. An hour later we were all sitting on the deck having dinner. Like the night before the women headed inside the boys to the dock and the grand kids to bed with the dogs. About this time Pepper came walking up the hill from Chucks. Looking tired and wet she laid down on the deck and was soon fast asleep. The wife told me she had been spending the day chasing the old goose up and down the beach. Around noon the goose had enough of it and they has a standoff. They spent most of the afternoon nose to beak, neither giving any ground. Standing at waters edge getting wet and waiting for the other to give up.

Sunday morning found all the guys out looking for some bass in the small bay and the women dock fishing with the grand kids. Barney made sure no one missed anything and he was kept busy watching several bobbers besides his own. The daughters decide to take the paddle boat out and they were dragging a spoon behind them. To there surprise but not mine they had a hit and a nice northern soon started dragging them out to the main lake. The wife started ringing the big bell on the deck that we used to call the kids back to the cabin with and we were out a ways in the lake but could hear it pealing away. Thinking something was wrong we ran the Puddle Humper back in only to see the girls on the paddle boat waving away at us. We turned going back to the girls and killing the motor sat back to watch the losing battle the girls were having with the fish. It did look like it had some size to it. Now that the youngest daughter had some back up she started to crank on the fish working the rod like she was deep sea fishing. Was making some headway till the spoon came free and coming back at her like a Nloan Ryan's fast ball zipped by her ducking head. Well they had enough and we tossed them a rope and slowly worked our way back to the dock. Like little kids that is all they talked about over lunch.

So down to the dock I went, time to relax some. I did get the lawn mowed and the greenhouse cleaned out. Ma got windows cleaned and some baking done. Bunkhouse is good to go for the summer and fire pit has wood. But it looks like we will not be burning till the danger passes. Cloudy sky but no rain coming. I tip my hat over my eyes and Barney starts that rumbling sound when a fish is biting. I look at my float with no bait on it and there it goes disappearing into the water. I set the hook, kind of just a little tug and I am rewarded with a rock bass. Well what the heck a guy can't even get a nap in with a empty hook! From Lake Iwanttobethere. (12386)

Lake Iwanttobethere sounds,

Zipper opening on the tent in the middle of the night because someone has to go.

Snoring from the guy in the tent two sites down.

The call of a loon at dusk.

The drumming of a grouse at noon.

Cooling of a dove at dawn.

The distant call of a crow.

Crackling of a fire.

Bubbling of the outboard idling at the dock.

Beep of a graph being turned on.

Clicking of a reel.

Screaming of a drag ( my favorite)

Waves lapping against the side of a boat.

Rod bouncing off the gunwale.

Crushing of a chip bag.

Gurgle of the truck exhaust in the water.

Louder clicking of a winch.

Plop of a bobber hitting the water.

Clearing your throat and have it echo back at you.

Laughter from the other side of the lake.

Your heart when you have your first fish of the day.

The contented sigh of finally getting on the water!

The sound the sun makes when it enters the water at the end of the day

A Bullfrog

A Peeper

A Blue Herons cry when it has to fly.

The boom of the pizza cannon.

Honks of a flight of geese.

A barking dog on a dock.

A splash.

The slurp of a bass on top.

Snapping of sunfish feeding.

The painful sound of a jet ski.

Flapping of flag.

The cycle of a water pump.

Flip flops on a dock.

Pink flamingos spinning around on their posts.

I heard these all on opening weekend, how about you? (12429)

Like one of them TV movies of the week the hail arrived at Lake Iwanttobethere yesterday afternoon. I was just crossing the street in front of Ma and Pa's Grocery when the first dime size ones started to fall. With surprising speed I made it across the street to stand under the roof in front of Reed the Realtor. The hail increased inside to the size of golf balls and made a thud when they hit the roof above my head and clanking noises bouncing of the parked cars. It lasted perhaps three or four minutes. In that time the town came to a standstill. No one on the street and everyone standing in doorways or under porch roofs to watch the hail. Been awhile since I had seen hail that size. Funny but hail is one of those things that makes everyone little kids again. As soon as the hail stopped everyone was out picking it up off the sidewalks and street showing off what they thought was the largest. A tourist was over heard saying that no one said it would hail in any of the town's flyer's. Later I heard there was some even larger hail out on the lake and a few guys had to hold there boat cushions over there heads. Doc Burriem treated one when a he came in and complained about his elbow. Took one right on the end that left a bruise. No other damage reported but as the day goes on the size of the hail seems to grow.

So a decent weekend, Monday left us with threats of rain but just gave us that brief hail storm and then a light shower afterwards. Today it is cool and overcast. More threat of rain in store for us and I hope it comes through. After fishing opener the town has settle into it's routine. Everyone is restocking and the streets are a little empty now. The resorts have there week long clients in but the campground is almost empty. By Friday night it will be filled again and we will be busy as we will see the next batch of weekend fishermen. I have a list of never ending things to do. But we are looking at getting the Puddle Humper out fishing later in the week. Will look for a better day then today. Of course that will not stop me from fishing from the dock. All my brush piles are within a easy cast. Of course there is always Elmers and Chuck's dock to fish from to. Hammering Hank is actually caught up on his jobs. With the county fire ban there has been little demand for his firewood. The Mpls people are back for the summer in there cabin and Hank and Skinny were up there helping them move stuff in. Amy has the sign up on her door that she will be closing at four. I expect that she will be in her boat off the point by five.

Norm at the golf course was not to happy, seems he spent most of the afternoon working on removing the dimples on his greens that the hail made. Them golfers, I would think it would just make the game a tad more interesting. Elmer was driving Ms Lois around and when the first hail arrived they made a bee line to the covered bridge. The Chevy survived with out a dent. I guess the hail is becoming the story in town, as I reflect that is what everyone that I ran into was talking about. The conversation would start off with "did you see the hail?" Then it would move to fishing. So fishing, from what I have heard it was a very good weekend. Weather could have been a little better, as it was windy but sunny. The weather we had earlier in the week of in the 80's would have been nice but what the heck it is opener. Most guys will not let the weather stop them. As a matter of fact most guys will brag about the conditions that have fished in. Nothing like them guys on Dangerous Catch out crabbing but those guys are a slightly different breed of fishermen then what we normally see here at the lake.

Looks like a good day to go to the Lodge and get some hours in, Will have to update the fish board as there were some nice catches reported and also check in with Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop to see what she had on her tote board. For those of you who made it out to the lake I hope you had a good time and for those of you who didn't make it out How come? Hope to see you out on the water here and be sure to say hi if you see the Puddle Humper. I think it is time for a breakfast Conney, from the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere(12469)

yes it was a nice opener. fun was had by almost all. i to did hear almost all of those same sounds. but the sound i still hear this morning. is the sound of those dang pink flamingos spinning around on their posts. i sure hope they find a new home soon. ... paul

Quote:

yes it was a nice opener. fun was had by almost all. i to did hear almost all of those same sounds. but the sound i still hear this morning. is the sound of those dang pink flamingos spinning around on their posts. i sure hope they find a new home soon. ... paul

hahahah sorry about that Paul I had completly forgotten about the birds! Somewhere on my desk here at the Lodge I have an order and a check for payment. They are to be relocated. I'll find that and get Hank and Skinny on it today...

Paul I don't know how to tell you this but I did find the letter with a check in it for the pink flamingos. It seems that a very nice donation was enclosed with the request that the flamingos remain at the same spot. The letter went on to say that the gentleman had a very enjoyable weekend hunting in that area and was hoping the flamingos would be there come fall. Of course if someone else sends in a donation between now and then they will be moved. Sorry for any inconvenience..But you must admit they do look good around your sailboat!

I saw a disturbing site yesterday when I was in town. I had been working at the lodge and just had a hankering for a loose meat sandwich so I got in the truck and drove down to Amy's for lunch. I ordered up the house special and sat near the window enjoying my sandwich, some chips and a frosty Mindy and Mandy root beer. As I was eating I noticed a fellow with a back pack and fishing rod across the street and at his feet there was a minnow bucket. He had a cardboard sign in hand and was waving at passing cars and trucks as they went by. A few did stop and as I ate I could see him talking with the drivers and pointing up and down the street. A few times he would disappear around the back of the truck and reappear with the minnow bucket in hand. The more I watched the more he kind of look familiar. Amy came over and we chatted for awhile and I forgot all about him. With Amy at my table I was somewhat distracted. Following up on my sandwich I took Amy up on the offer of a slice of apple pie and I was pretty much as contented as a man could be.

Buds on the trees are now leaves, we have gotten some rain everyday for the past three days now. Grass is green and the empty spots in the woods are now filled. Driving into town now you can just make out some of the cabins through the trees. Grass along the ditches is ankle deep and already the deer are making trails on the shoulders of the road. Hard to sleep in the morning as it is warm enough to leave the cabin windows open. About four thirty or so the birds start singing and I wish I knew what they are so dang happy about. They make so much racket that if you wake up you can't go back to sleep. An hour later all is quiet again, but it is to late I am up for the day. Of course it does have the advantage of having a cup of coffee on the deck and watching the mist on the lake rise. Dogs stay sleeping, they might roll over and give me a five o'clock in the morning look. Cats are of course up. They sleep all day or disappear then they are up all night. Getting into things and leaving surprises for the dogs.

So anyway I get done with lunch and a few customers come in so Amy has to leave me. I squash the last of my pie crumbs with my fork and finish cleaning my plate. I bus my own table and wave at Amy as I leave. Standing outside the door I squint a little in the sunshine and look across the street at the guy with the sign. Looking closer I can see the sign says " Will work for bait" This has my interest. I wait for a truck to drive by and I walk across the street. As I get closer A smile comes to my face, It's my old high school buddy Tim! He has his head down and is looking inside his minnow bucket, the sign in one hand and his rod in the other."Catchin any" I say. He turns to look at me and dropping his rod and sign grips me in a bear hug and yells out " Bobby" after crushing me for a few seconds, did I mention Tim is a pretty big guy, he makes me look skinny. He shakes hands and picking up his rod and sign I grab his bucket and we walk over to the town bench and we sit awhile.

Tim is a fishing bum. He left town here to go off to college, during the summer he would go to Alaska to fish and after his second year of college he went fishing and never went back to college. Since then he has fished around the world. All he needs is a rod and bait and his trusty fishing rod. He was working his way back through the Lake Iwanttobethere chain of lakes and was just in town to "Pick up some bait" Tim never takes anything for free as he returns an offer of minnows or a ride in a boat with a wealth of fishing stories from around the world. Some may be true some may be painted but all are worth the price of some flathead minnows. Elmer driving by saw us and he pulled to a stop and jumping out he grabbed Tim's hand and start shaking away. Elmer was on the way to the Lodge so Tim accepted the offer of lunch and a beer and together they drove off. I was thinking about going fishing but I thought a night at the Lodge and story telling night would be better. With a grin on my face I climbed into the truck just as Hank and Skinny pulled up alongside of me. The back of the truck was spilling over with pink Flamingos. Looking over the assortment of birds I got back out of my truck and went to Hank's window.

" These from Nytelyters place?" I asked.

"No' Hank says. " some guy from down at NoFISHLAKE called and heard we had a flock and said we could have there's, for free"

Skinny says "You want us to bring them over to Nytelyters? They are almost the same color!"

Looking over the birds I walked around the truck trying to count heads, Hmmmm " Just take them to the Lodge for now. Tim's there with Elmer"

Hank nods his head and popping the clutch the birds and the truck head off to the Lodge. Walking back to my truck I wonder to myself if Nytelyer would really notice another 121 Pink Flamingos. From the water of Lake Iwanttobethere.. (12596)

Flags are flying today here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Stiff wind coming out of the North and only a few brave fishermen are out on the lake being pounded by the chop. If it was last weekend it would not have mattered but now that we are a week into the fishing season there is time to sit on the shore and wait for better conditions. We had one decent day this past week, the rest have been rainy and windy. Just enough water to get things wet, not a good soaker like we really need. I almost planted the gardens but held off, glad I did as with rain in the forecast and it staying cool I don't think anything will have started. Greenhouse is in use and the hanging pots are all planted. When the sun does return they can all go outside and we will be "pretted up" as the wife says.

A blustery enough day that even the old goose has flown to the other side of the bay to get out of the wind. No sense in fishing off the dock the bobber gets washed ashore after a few minutes. Barney is not even fishing today, Last I saw he was heading to Elmers. I can see a curl of smoke coming out of his garage so I would imagine that he is sitting in his easy chair and has the baseball game on. Elmers garage has his truck on one side and the other side is set up better then most peoples living rooms. Has a rug on the floor a few easy chairs his 27" console tv a wet bar fridge and microwave. The pool table which has seen better days now acts as storage for fishing rods, tackle boxes and beer cases. The trusty pellet gun and .22 sit in a cabinet by the man door for easy reach. The pot belle stove always has an ember glowing in it. A little bark and some birch and it is up and running with in a few minutes. Elmers chair is tattered and worn and the only one who can sit in it with out getting a bad back is Elmer. It was at one time a vinyl chair but now has more duct tape then vinyl. A while back he found some of that 12 inch wide duct tape at the surplus center store. It came in black so he re did the whole back of the chair and made a place for his tv remote and door closer. I made the mistake of sitting in it once. I felt like a turtle on it's back and I could not get out once I sat down.

The shoreline is all prettied up as Skinny and Hammering Hank removed all the flamingoes from Nytelyers place. They were in good shape and had come through winter well. Someone had WD-40 all the spinners so they move real well in the wind. They took them and along with the 121 new ones and divided them up into flocks of fifteen. These were then placed on the shoreline outside of several cabin owners. I have a list of some of the lucky people here...

Ihateriversnags, Dan Thiem, bbqhead, McGurk, Duckslayer, deepportage and I guess Nytelyer did get a small flock of the spinning wings. Root Beer island also got two flocks. The old Don Johnson house got a flock also, looks very Miami Vice looking out there.

On a personal note here it is the wife's thirty anniversary here on Monday and since I am the other half of the partnership it It's up to me to find a suitable anniversary gift. Guess I will be heading into the big city and searching for ideas. I don't think she will take to kindly to the new tractor from down at Earl's Maybe matching rods and reels but I did that for her fifteenth. I have a whole day to find something so I am not to worried, yet. I was thinking of one of them bed and breakfast places, They used to call them hotels. We have one on the lake but after I called and said I was a neighbor of Elmers they hung up on me. Guess they have not forgotten about the time he stayed there.

So from a windy day here at the lake, Hope you found a quiet spot to anchor your boat. Have a good one.. (12704)

Thanks for the lawn upgrade! They look good. But when the Flamingo season starts I'm sure we will have to return them eh?

Hey Bobby, who's that old guy that sits on his dock in Sather's Bay? Just him in a chair and his dog laying at his feet. I was putzing around with the electric trying for some panfish and I noticed the old dude sitting there. No cabin at that dock so I can't imagime who the guy is. I was going to introduce myself but he seemed rather content being there with just his dog snd him all by there self. Never heard any talk of him at the lodge have ya?

Anyhow the big female crappies have spawned already in the bull rushes and the bigger gills are hitting good too. Got a few for the meal at the campsite. The campground was quite busy there today. Mostly because of the wind and colder temps keeping the boats tied up at the docks. That was Ok though. It got a few more people aquainted. Playing campground games like Hillbilly Horshoes and Lawn Jarts.

Oh yeah, I think Gracie has taken a liking to Barney for some reason.

One last thought, get the wife one of those I pod things for your 30th. They can store up a bunch of good music and there aint no CD's to change.

Bobby, the lawn is looking good with them new Flamingos on it. Only drawback I have seen so far is having to trim around the dang things! They are worse than trees to trim around. I looked at on of them there gift givin things and it says traditionally on your 30th you should get her a pearl. The modern one says a diamond. I figure that most of us here would be traditional but I think that you may have to get a whole string of them pearls and not just one. Anyway, hope that you have a great time on Monday! That sure is a long time for the Lil Mrs to put up with ya... she must be a saint! grin.gif Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I tried the PEARL of wisdom and a piece of coal ( Diamond in the ruff) they didn't go over to good. I was going to go to Walmart and see what they suggest for a 30th. Perhaps a Geo Foreman grill or some fake flowers. Will let you know how it goes as soon as I can see out of both eyes. I ducked the frying pan but hit the door jam.. Why cant' they be happy with a bucket of minnows and a can of then little vienna sausages...And here I thought I wrote a nice sentiment on the post it note.

The old guy who you are referring to is a founding father of Lake Iwanttobethere. There is a cabin there in that little bay but is set back a good walking piece from the water. The old guy is much more in tune with hunting then he is with fishing. Being in his 90's he has lived at the homestead all of his life. Elmer goes and sees him from time to time and of course Doc Burriem is a regular visitor come bird hunting season. That walk to the cabin from the bay is about a half mile or so. On the south side a stand of poplars go as far as the eye can see and on the North side a stand of oak trees with a few maples mixed in. In the fall some of the best Grouse and Squirrel hunting can be had there. It does not just happen by itself. The old guy has worked all his life to keep that part of the forest healthy and does some selective harvesting. I have gotten the invite to walk the trail a few times and I don't think it was because of me but rather Bud. The old guy likes dogs and wanted to hunt over Bud. His dog, Ben Hur the third is getting up there in years and the old guy did not think it would be fair to have a Ben Hur the fourth. He spends a portion of every day taking the walk down his trail to the bay to sit at the park bench that he had hauled in over the ice. Sometime he fishes but mostly after the walk he needs a place to rest before making the trek back to his cabin. You might have to yell at him some to get his attention, he usually has his hearing aid off as he does not get to many visitors.

Pretty much a private guy the bay is named after his family. Been there so long it is on the maps of the lake. He used to do a lot of duck hunting in the bay but he is getting to old for that and just sticks to grouse now. Needless to say there is always venison in his freezer and he stills runs a small trap line. The cabin is one of the oldest buildings on Lake Iwanttobethere. No running water no electricity. He does have a small wind mill that gives him some power for his batteries which gives him some lights and runs his CB radio. His old friend Doc bought him a cell phone a few years back just in case of any problems. He always has it off to save the batteries so he can't be gotten a hold of unless you catch him on the CB or go knock on his door.

No road to his cabin just a mailbox on the curve of the road and a foot path leading back into the woods. If you climb the old fire tower you can see his spread off to the North. Of course better in the winter almost impossible in the summer. Makes it to all the Town Hall meeting, usually sits in the back and does not say much. But when he speaks people listen as they know he has put some thoughts into his words. When in town he eats at Amy's as he does not care for anything that has not been made from scratch. I once offered him some oreo cookies and he did not know what they were. Instead he pulled out of his day pack some of the finest oatmeal cookies I have ever eaten. His wife who passed on a few years ago sure could bake, found out that the old guy can to. I bring him fish from time to time and I can never leave the cabin with out having a meal. If nothing is cooking he will find something for me to do till he can have something hot and on a plate. I always get the feeling he is happy to see me but it is fine by him when I leave. He makes it a point to rub Bud behind the ears and I get a wave as he closes the old wood door. Perhaps I should go see him today, maybe he can give me an idea for the wifes anniversary present.. From Lake Iwanttobethere. (12773)

"I always get the feeling he is happy to see me but it is fine by him when I leave. He makes it a point to rub Bud behind the ears and I get a wave as he closes the old wood door. Perhaps I should go see him today, maybe he can give me an idea for the wifes anniversary present.."

Bobby, I don't think you could find a better person to ask advice from! Happy Anniversary!!! Take care././Jimbo

I'm a little upset with myself that I haven't put Lake IWBT up a bit higher on the proirity list this spring. That'll have to change. The cities are really wearing me down lately, and this oasis really helps get me by. Thanks, Bobby.

I'm sure the little pink additions to the yard will fit nicely with the smattering of lawn gnomes that are there. It always seems that one or two tend to pop up after the wife goes to a flea market. Adds a some much needed character, I suppose. These trips are good for her, just like here new hobby. I come home with a bag of lures, she comes home with more scrapbooking "accessories." I won't say anything if she doesn't. As long as she's acts happy, and the books she turns out really do look nice. In the big picture, you really do just need something to help you stay at an even keel, and stop you from taking it out on a significant other. I know I do, and the "outbursts" seem to be fewer and further between now that she's got her new hobby. The weekend excursions are nice for both of us, too. I get a little house time, and she gets a little girl time. I do wonder if the wine has as much to do with getting the creative juices flowing as sharing ideas. But, I'm NOT going to complain.

Speaking of the significant other and the anniversary "present," you'd think they'd know by now. They are the fairer (and usually smarter) sex, and yet they keep these lofty expectations of us. And where are these unattainable ideas seeded? Hollywood? Their Fathers? I know her Dad wasn't and isn't capable of doing what I am obviously not capable of, and she's not shy in letting me know. And yet they continue to be disappointed. Again and again. Maybe someday she'll learn (but history shows she probably won't); we just aren't that smart.

Funny how smells can bring back memories from the past. Some good and some bad but catching the whiff of something can bring back memories from long ago. Cleaning out tackle boxes found in the shed from the kids I stumble across a night crawler that is just a shell of it's formal self. Pretty much all dried out from just last weekend it does remind me of when I was a young lad and we would catch crawlers and then sell them by the quart to a old guy down the road. He would leave them in the jar and the put them on his widow sill. The sun would bake and cook the crawlers until they became a ¼ jar of ooze. He would then pour this over his roses. I made the mistake of opening a jar, the smell will stay with me always. Many years ago I had to make a bait run for the shop. My truck was down at the time so I used my wife's Duster. I had to drive about two hours away to pick up 30 flats of crawlers. 15,000 of the boys were placed in the trunk and the lid closed. It never dawned on me that it gets dark in there with the lid closed. By the time I reached the lake several hundred crawlers had fled the flats to take up space in and under the carpet of the trunk. Inside the tread of the spare tire and I was to learn later under the front seat.

Removing the crawlers and all that I could find that were loose I gave it not a second thought when the wife took her car the next day. At four when she came out from work to drive home she found out that in the hot sun the several hundred crawlers that I had forgotten to find had surfaced on the seats. The 80 plus day and car parked in the sunshine with the windows closed had cooked the worms. Making the car smell a lot like that old qt jar. She took the truck home and I had to drive the car back, Of course all the windows were down but that did not help much. It did bring back memories though. If I remember right that was right around one of my wedding anniversaries.

This morning the air was heavy with the smell of lighting. A rather large storm went through the area this mornin. Normally I would toss on a rain jacket and go out and sit on the protected swing. Lite up a cigar and enjoy the free light show. But today I just laid in bed and listened. Then there was a strike close to the cabin. A bright flash and an instant bang that rattled the pictures on the wall. You could smell that aroma in the air. Made me think of when I was young and of my cousins on my mothers side. To say they were a little bit different then the rest of us would be giving them the benefit of the doubt. When I was ten or so and not quit the man of the world that I was when I was twelve. I was convinced that I should climb to their tree house that they had built from there old trailer. The house was built high in a pine and was very spacious, perhaps eight by eight. I did have some thoughts about the aluminum siding that they had used to cover the walls. Now remembering that I was a young lad I would say the tree was at least sixty feet tall. Accounting for the passing of time it was more like forty. Still pretty high.

The reason I remember this tree fort was because maybe twenty minutes after we climbed down from it a bolt of lightning hit it. I can still smell that smell. Burning wood and aluminum twisted and blacken. I had a feeling it was not a good place to be and might very well have been the first time when I had a gut feeling. The cousins were soon back rebuilding the tree house since we all know lighting never hits the same place twice. That proved to be false. The cousins all went on to man fire towers in the county. From Lake Iwanttobethere (12773)

Bass season opens here on the entire lake Saturday. I am sure we will be busy as it also is a holiday weekend. There are a lot of events planned for down in the park. The holiday is the official kick off for summer here even though it, summer is still a month away. Had some rain every day for the last week and hail last night in one of the bays. That is twice in a week on the hail. Looks like it is going to be one of them kind of summers here at the lake. Elmer has his big canvas tent up in his yard. The forecast calls for severe weather for tomorrow and he is looking forward to it. Memory day as he calls them. Nothing like sleeping in a tent when it is poring rain and lightning all around ya. Does look like the weather should give us a break for the holiday.

Vicki at the Masterbaiters has been stocking the shelves. Had a real good opening weekend and there will be a lot of fishermen in again. I should grab the fish numbers off her tote board and post them here for you to see. There have been a few nice northerns caught and a gill over 11 inches. One good thing about the rain is the lake level is rising. Still way below what it should be but it is coming up some. I do know that Hank and Skinny have been out adjusting some docks that they put in. The only real good thing I can say about the low water is that everyone was able to clean their beaches up and some redid there retaining walls. I did mine with some river rock back a few years ago and that works well. Gives the minnows a place to hide and that of course brings the gills in which bring the bass in. Apple trees have blossoms already everything has really greened up with the rain. I am not complaining at all. That is until the sketters start showing up. Lots of standing water for them buggers.

Lodge has been steady, since we are open during the day to the general public we are starting to get some repeat customers and some are even asking if the chili pot is on and of course the Coney's are doing well. Going through tap beer a tad quicker which means it stays fresher and that is always a good thing. Getting a better discount with the chip guy as the kids coming in go through our rack. At this rate we might even recover the pool table, can't remember how old that felt is. Already replace a few sticks. Yup, things are looking up around here. Of course I have not been able to get out fishing as much as I want to. I blame the weather for that but I am sure it will calm down and I will be able to give you some better reports of fishing here on the lake. Mr. Big is calling my name but I will let him rest for awhile and then I will have a go at him. Barney has been fishing everyday off the dock, weather make no difference to him. That is until the first distant rumble of thunder, then he is at the cabin door looking to hide somewhere.

Chuck is in mid season form already, The grill is glowing every night and the grass is way over due to be cut. He spends the morning peddling his syrup and looking for more improvements for next season. Root Beer island is always busy. Boats coming and going from the two docks. The girls are busy promoting there root beer and have added a gift shop with some items from locals. Chuck makes a point to stop by everyday, not that he is selling that much syrup but he has always been sweet on Mindy. Mark the mailman was asking me about the flamingoes. He didn't know that the plastic ones mated. When you take a boat ride it looks some what prettier having them all birds up and down the shoreline. Nytelyters looks rather nautical with his sail boat and the flamingoes working the shallows. Well I guess I should take advantage of this brief window of no rain and get the tractor out and start mowing here. I might not have a chance for several days and with the holiday coming there is no mowing allowed on the weekend. From a warm, breezy day here at the lake. Have a good day and hope to see you on the water soon.... (12862)

Well thank you Mrs. B. I have been told that reading about Lake Iwanttobethere is almost as good as being here. Of course it is much better to spend some time here sitting on the dock with your feet in the water. Drinking a Mindy and Mandy root beer watching Mark the mailman working down the docks delivering the mail. When he gets to you your mail has no bills, no junk just good stuff! Fishing magazines a month early and catalogs in season.

You do bring up a point, we do have some crime here on Lake Iwanttobethere. It is not a lot but we do have a part time officer. From time to time he will stop in at the Dew Drop Inn and while picking up supper he will keep us informed of the goings on. Just last week we had some hail damage after the storm that came through and now that school is almost done there will be some reports of cow tipping. An outhouse was moved one night and a fish basket was taken from a local dock. Since we have parking meters he has ordered a book of citations. Town meeting will discuss the fine if he ever writes a ticket. No traffic lights and no stop signs here so nothing to talk about there.

Come fall there are apple trees to be raided and fireworks on the 4th of July. Cabins are not broken into as they are pretty much left open all the time. One of the few places where you can launch your boat and leave the windows down on your truck and find everything where you left it. Some people even leave their keys in the ignition in case they are parked in the way. Guess we are a tad different in that respects. No hum of lights here, no honking horns, no sirens, no jets, just lapping of waves on the beach, the call of a loon and the night freight train across the lake.

O and the fish basket, I found out that the knot had come undone and it was recovered with one more crappie in then it went missing. From Lake Iwanttobethere.. (12901)

Bobby, you are truly a master story teller! Who would have thought that a fish basket set adrift would end up with more fish in it than when it left. Thanks for all the updates and for the daily break from an insane world to a world of peace and harmony! Sounds a lot like the Hooterville that we moved to 6 years ago. I have started locking the car when down town now though! Tis sad to have to do that! Heck if we are going to be gone all day we have now started locking the house too. When we moved in there was one house key turned over to us as the place was just never locked up! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Looking out the window here sitting in my den at the cabin my view of the lake is slightly blocked by the cascade of falling water off the eves. Yes, it is raining again here at Lake Iwanttobethere and it is a good thing. In the winter we had a concern over falling lake levels and for now it looks like we are going the other way. Lucky for me the grass is mowed and although I would like to get my gardens in I realize that this is only the 24th of May. The wife is out and the cabin is quiet. Dogs are scattered about sleeping in the bed of their choice and I saw the cats a moment ago chasing what ever cats chase that no one else can see. The old goose is standing on the end of the dock looking out over the waters. He is acting like he owns the place. I was thinking of sending Bud out after him but Bud looks pretty comfortable sleeping on my bed with his feet pointing upwards. Rain is easing up some now and you can make out splatters instead of the gushing sound it makes. I have the windows open and no store bought freshener can compare with what I smell now.

In case you have not figured it out I like the rain. At the first sign of rain I am usually out on the covered swing. Depending on the time of day or night I might just sit and watch it come down or if it is going to be a drencher I will lite up a cigar and maybe even sip a beer. Aren't to many things better then a good lightning storm. A free light show and it is never the same. Watching a storm heading towards me over the lake makes me feel like a little kid on the way to the circus. I can see the big top but I have no idea what's inside. Looking out the other side of the den I can just make out Elmer in his big old tent. He has his chair set back a little ways inside and I can see smoke from his cigar. I don't have to explain why I sit outside in the rain to Elmer because most of the time he is already sitting in his chair waiting for the storm. Me on my swing we just nod and sometimes give each other a thumbs up for a good lightning bolt. Besides what did they make rain suits for?

Kids will all be up for the weekend, cabin will be full of dogs and cats and stories. Hot dogs and burgers on the grill and maybe a late night steak for the guys. With all this rain maybe we will be able to use the fire pit again. Some fishing will be done and if it rains we get a little wet. Fishing can be really good in the rain but so many people head for the landing as soon as it clouds up a little. Now if it is lightning we are off the water, but some showers just get ya a little wet. I have a list of things that need to be done here. Some left by the wife and some written down by me. Need to go into town and pick up meat at Ma and Pa's buns at Amy's some root beer from Mindy and Mandy. Off to the Lodge to borrow some Coney sauce and I had the chip guy drop me off a box of assorted little bags for the grand kids. Might as well get some candy bars to. That is part of being a grand pa. Then it's off to Vicki at the Masterbaiters for some crawlers and some extra bobbers. Earl's for some bug candles for the deck. I am pretty sure it will take me the afternoon just to get that done as I will spend some time chatting with locals and giving advice to tourists.

I just got a call from Hammering Hank that he and Skinny did manage to repair the spinners on another small flock of flamingoes. He called and asked where they should go. Checking my list I see Mr. and Mrs. B are next on the list and they should get then between raindrops this afternoon. I do kind of chuckle to myself when I heard that one of the proud recipient of birds was seen trimming around them. Guess no one told him that you can pull them up, mow and then put them back in. Of course this might be there first experience with the birds. Well rain has stopped for now and this list is not going to do itself so I better get at it. Hope to see you around town, if it rains again maybe we can spend some time under a store awing and chat., From Lake Iwanttobethere (12943)