• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Well here we go again, temps to be into the 90's again this weekend. I don't know if I can handle two weeks of summer! Loggers Days this weekend, with the heat we have ordered more beer for the tents and we are even thinking of adding a 3rd tent. Mindy and Mandy have expressed interest in having a tent for their root beer. With the expected heat it would be good to have something for the young ones. Logs for the logging rolling contest are in the bay and the logs for the chain saw and axe contests are stacked in the park. Already a few camping spots are filled with visitors. Should be a fun weekend for everyone. Mr. Jensen ice house is taking a big hit this summer as he has already gone through about a third of the ice that he cut out of Lake Iwanttobethere. With hot weather like this it will be half gone before the weekend is over.

I did get out fishing the other night. My grand daughter brought me over a doz. frogs and I headed out to visit Mr. Big's lair. No sooner then I pulled into the bay when I saw a big swirl and then splash as I had driven right up on top of Mr. Big. No matter what I threw he would not take any of my offerings. The frogs were gone in quick order as his smaller Bass relatives sucked them down almost as soon as they hit the water. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed catching the smaller fish but I never seem to have any luck with Mr. Big. That end of the lake was nice and calm and smooth as glass. I was able to sight fish and just look for a swirl and then drop a frog in to the ring. After a couple of hours I had landed over 20 fish and decided that I would head out before the skeeters got bad. I had already donated some flesh to the fly's. Just as I was getting into my own bay the lightning started and some dark clouds were rolling across the sky towards me. I settled into my swing and waiting for a good thunderstorm which did not happen as the clouds rolled off to the south and just a few sprinkles fell. Need some water here, just to dry and now it's going to get hot again.

Down at the Lodge we having been putting three ice cubes in the glass instead of two. They melt to fast otherwise. The frosty beer mugs are being used quicker then we can frost them. Even been getting some business during the day as the Twins have had some afternoon games. There were some Chicago visitors in yesterday who left in a huff. Mumbling something about getting lucky and they go on vacation and their team falls apart. Jason I did mention about that big screen TV to a few of the locals and they are happy with what we have now. We did just upgrade last year to color. I think you need to come over to the Lodge and see how we are set up, I don't think you remember to much since you were under the weather a tad after your first visit. We don't have a game room. Who has time to play games. Were to old for pool and pinball, we did have an air hockey table till Hammering Hank got his nose broke. We just play cards from time to time, watch some TV and look out the big picture window at the boat landing. A lot of free entertainment right there. Just yesterday watched a guy and his wife back their rig down except he put the right side tire up on the dock and kind of flipped the whole rig on it's side as he backed in. Can't see that on TV Well going to go take a walk in the woods and see if I can't find me a few salamanders, see if Mr. Big will go for them. From Lake Iwanttobethere (4909)

I'm sure he does Dan, but I know right where he lives and I have a reminder of him at my computer. Right on the wall there is what is left of a buzz bait that I fooled him with last summer. It was a perfect attack on my part. I had the sun at his back, and I waited till my drift brought me in perfect casting range and then one of those rare moments I dropped a perfect cast about 10 feet past where I knew he would be. On my first lift the buzz bait came right up on plane with no weeds and with a nice vee wake and that musical plop, plop, plop it churned it's way right over where I knew Mr.Big should be. I was answered with a big hit and a spray of water but I waited that split second till I felt weight then I reared back and set the hook... Like music I heard the sound of my drag and for a breif moment I started to think I had a chance. Then just like that it was over. The buzz bait came flying back at me head high, I ducked as it zipped by my head and watched the boil of what was Mr. Big get bigger and bigger till it was just a little wave that lapped up against my boat. I reeled the buzz bait back in, or should I say what was left of it. All I have is the triple blade and part of the shaft, The rest was broken off and gone. It hangs on my wall and I am looking at it right now. Someday, yup someday I'll get my hands on Mr. Big and hold him high over my head and like the cave man who discovered fire I will rule!!!!! from Lake Iwanttobethere (4927)

I know some of you are asking just where is Mr. Big or is he just something that Bobby Bass has just dreamed up. O no he is as real as the 99 cent menu at McDonald's. He is as real as what ever you just bought will be on sale tomorrow. He is as real as the old guy you met on your fishing vacation who tells you that you should have been here last week I'll even tell you exactly where you can find him. Out on the bay there is a Lilly pad field, it's just out from a wooded point that once was a dairy farm but now is just a brushy field with some new growth birch and a few old willows. You can get to through the woods but there is or was a one horn bull that was and still is I think pretty upset with the world. A handful of times I have tried to gain access to the lake this way but have been found, chased and almost ran through by that bull. I don't know if he is still there but the memory is still fresh enough in my mind that I do not want to try it. Even though the bull may be older then dirt now and has to be a few steps slower so am I.

So that rules out by land, your next approach is of course by boat, Not to bad in the Spring with a good wind you can get yourself blown across the top of the newly forming paddies and get back to the strip. That is where you want to be. There is a strip of clear, weed free water that runs about 15 to 20 feet wide at the back of the pads and before the reeds that grow out from the shoreline. Of course there is about 300 yards of pads to get through before you can get back to the strip and clear sailing. The strip runs maybe 350 feet depending on how well the pads are growing. Now laying back in the middle of the strip lies a willow tree that was hit by lightning and the trunk fell out into the water, It has been there a long time and most of the small branches are long gone but the main branches are still there just below the surface. This area holds lots of fish but Mr. Big is at the base of the trunk where when the tree went into the water the trunk also fell in to the lake and a giant root base broke away from the shore and stands on it's side. Here Mr. Big has found his home. There is a deep hole maybe six feet here where as the rest of the water is maybe two feet. The only way to get to it is by coming down the strip of clear water and pitching a bait under the trunk to bring it back under and through the deep water hole.

Sounds hard? Well it is. The wind rarely if ever is coming from the right direction. When we have a hot summer like this the pads explode and make an almost impossible mat to try and get your boat through. You can use a push pole but you better bring two and then you better have a rope tied on to it cuz the pads will reach out and rip it from your hands and then you are in big trouble if you don't have a push pole. Did I mention you have to get through this and be quiet! I won't even talk about getting back out once you do get in. It sounds like it is impossible right? Well I will give away one small secret. If you put your boat on plane and run at top speed and then shut down right before you hit the pads and if you have someone foolish enough to go with you and they pull the motor up you can skip across the pads almost halfway. Why do you think my boat is named the Puddle Humper ?

All this for one fish, ahh but it's a fine fish I tell ya. I have had him on a few times and lost him every time. But I can sit back and relive every time over and over again in my mind. I have forgotten my first kiss but I still remember the first time Mr. Big took a lure. I was fishing a Devil Horse a big 5/8 oz. In a frog pattern, it's all of 6" long and I tossed it off the trunk and I just saw a huge mouth come up and suck it off the surface, There was just a little dimple in the water where the lure was. Then my drag screamed and stopped. I started reeling when I realize Mr. Big was heading straight at the boat I could not reel fast enough, Mr. Big went straight under the boat and as I leaned down to see the shape zip by the rod was torn from my hands to fall into the lake and disappear under the boat. I tossed myself to the other side of the boat and grabbed into the water at the now fleeting handle of my rod disappearing into the caramel color water. And just like that it was gone. I sat back and wished someone else was with me cuz no one was going to believe what just happen. Then I saw a dimple on the water and as I watched my Devil Horse bob to the surface about 20 feet away. I grabbed my other rod and with shaking hands and a few casts I snagged the Devil Horse I reeled in and found my line still attached. I started to pull line in hand over hand and retrieved my rod. The front treble hook was torn out of the lure and there was a single scale on the back treble. Looking up over my desk it hangs on the wall along with other trashed lures from Mr. Big. Even now the memory is like yesterday. From Lake Iwanttobethere (4963)

What a light show mother nature put on here at the lake last night and into the morning. So much lightning that you could not look away from the sky. At times it looked like a giant lite snake moving across the sky only to twist back on itself and then roll over to do it again. The strange part was that it was so far away and so high in the sky that you could hear no thunder, just see the flashing light until it finally disappeared over the horizon to be lost in the trees on the far side of Lake Iwanttobethere.

This morning I drove around part of the lake to check on damage from the storm, Hardly anything, A few down branches and some standing water and it has been a long time since we have seen any standing water. The creeks are still very very low as most of the water was soaked into the ground. Except in a few spots. I did notice other things that I have not been paying attention to. As I drove around the lake and some of the farm land I see the big hay bales stacked neatly in the fields. Rows and rows of 6 foot high corn like waves on the sea blowing in the breeze. Calf's with their mothers grazing and they are putting on some weight, A few garage sale signs on the roads and even the flea market was taking the rain covers off their tables. Temperatures down a good 20 degrees from the day before, a good rain will do that. Back at the Lake we lost one of the tents but everyone grabbed a sledgehammer and the ringing of metal was soon heard as new stakes were driven in the ground and the contents transferred over to the newly installed tent.

Loggers Days didn't miss a beat and although it was an overcast day it was a good day for the events. Hammering Hank sits in 3rd after the first full day and Mindy is in first in her division and Mandy 2nd in hers. With luck we will see them roll off against each other in the log rolling contest. A tad muddy but what a great smell. The odor of new wood chips and mud mixed together hung heavy in the damp air. It took me a while but there was another odor that I could not place until as a little girl ran by then I put my finger on it or should I say my nose. Cotton Candy.. Summer smells, hot dogs, smoke from the BBQ's sounds of bees. Even the distinctive snap of a beer can top being opened. Everyone knows the sound of a can being open, the sound of a tent zipper, That lovely noise a drag on a reel makes. For a cat or a dog it might be the sound of a can opener. For me it has to be the sound of a fishing reel drag, just music to my ears. Right behind would be that snapping and crackling of wood fire at dusk and the ere sound of a loon across the water at dusk. A passing vee of Geese and their honking at they fly by. A bull frog deep in the slop. The sound of a slamming cabin door and the low mumble of conversation then the brief laughter of a lady. The sounds of a Twins baseball game drifting in and out on the radio. Sights and sounds of summer all from Lake Iwanttobethere. (5013)

Since yesterday was silent Sunday for me I decide to get away from it all for a few hours and get some fishing in. To much going on down at the park with Loggers Days and by the way Hammering Hank finished 2nd as there had been so rain water the night before that the tree he was on for the speed climbing event tipped over on his run. Mindy did defeat Mandy in the log rolling event and Big Jim took the chopping events. The fantastic fine fingers of fifties fiddlers Fiona and Fred Fiddle and their sons Fedo, Fritz, Floyd and daughters Fawn and Frema were back to entertain the crowds with their fingers snapping, knee slapping music. They were set up on the hay bale stage that was erected on the South end of the park. It was a little soggy with the rain but it held up pretty well. The highlight as always is when Hammering Hank gets his converted county snow thrower running and starts mulching the tree climbing trees and log rollers. Then when they add the hay bales from the stage it tosses the mix about a 100 feet into the air and it looks like a scene from Twister. Can't leave the park with out wood chips and straw in your hair and clothes.

So anyway I decide to do some fishing, I took Barney and Bud with me and remove the back seat from the rear casting platform. Barney proceed to lay down and go to sleep while Bud was sitting intent at the bow watching every duck and goose that we went by. I decide to head over to Murphy's dock as I have had a few rounds with a bass that is under his pontoon boat. Not Mr. Big mind you but a decent fish. Barney knew I was not doing any serious fishing so he was soon snoring away. I was just far enough away from the shoreline that a passing wave from time to time was all that was needed as I passed the residents of Lake Iwanttobethere.

I drifted into Murphy's bay and picked up my rod with the new 100# test braided line, I was going to try this out here and see how it works. Gearing up to go after MR. Big this fall when the water cools a tad and the pads start to die so I can get in there. A few casts and nothing happening, I had on one of them 10 inch grape worms, don't want to bother with no little perch. Then I felt a little tap tap tap.. Rearing back I set the hook and I had me a bass on, Under Murphy's dock it went and wrapping itself around the front post I could see it down there finning itself. I tucked the rod under my arm for more leverage and started to crank away like I was using a come-a-long. But I got hung on that post. That is when I did something stupid.. Not the first time I might add. I wrapped some of the 100# line around my wrist, to get better leverage I thought. Bud came forward to see what I was doing. He stepped down on the trolling motor control pad and turn the boat away from the dock. With my hand wrapped in the line I could not reach the foot pad and now I was being stretched between dock and boat, something had to give and into the water I went. Of course now the bass decides to swim the other way around the dock post and gets loose, now I am being dragged by my arm by the Bass. I have to decide whether I should yell or not since this is silent Sunday. But Bud being the Lab that he is comes to my rescue, Being a retriever he does what he is trained to do. He jumps in the water. Now Bud is at my side swimming thinking this is good fun, I am being pulled out into the lake and the Puddle Humper is heading down the shore the other way.

Well I decide I need to speak, so I yell Barney!! Barney wakes from his nap and being the fishing dog that he is, takes his time weaving his way through rods and tackle boxes to jump up on the front casting deck. Looking out over the bow he sees nothing. I yell again. BARNEY he looks over his shoulder and sees me and Bud in the water. Nonchalantly he puts his paw on the trolling motor pad and turns the boat back toward us. A few minutes later the boat glides up next to me and Barney steps off the pad and goes back to lay down again. I untangle the line from my wrist and with great effort climb back into the boat, Bud follows and proceeds to shake water off all over. I pull the line in but Murphy's bass is long gone. I decide I have had enough for the day and head back to the dock. Barney gets and extra biscuit. Just another day here at Lake Iwanttobethere. (5043)

Busy busy here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Had a good size storm finally hit us here bring much needed water and also a few down trees. So took time to do some cleaning up. To give you an idea how windy it was a stack of firewood blew over and crushed a row of peppers. Going to have to rework my chili recipe for the tailgate cookoff this fall. Just when I thought I was almost done with the Honey do list I discovered a second page! That or she has been adding to it when I was not looking. Already we are into the 1st week of August and in another month the fall do list will be here. Where did this summer go? Have not been fishing as much as I would like to be but that usual changes here in August and September. Now gas has jumped at the pump again so I might have to think a tad about where on Lake Iwanttobethere that I am going to fish. Mr. Big might swim another season as he is on the far side of the lake and a good hour travel time. I am however going to take a shot at him tonight. I have my granddaughter gathering frogs for me so after this weeks work I deserve a trip after Mr. Big. There is a chance for some thunderstorms again tonight so maybe this will be the night...I might bring Barney with but Bud is going to stay home after his helpful fishing adventure.

Tasty Farms has a vegetable stand down in the park open so nights have been filled with the smell of roasting sweet corn on the BBQ's As a matter of fact I picked up a doz. Ears myself just last night. My corn is not doing so well but I am thinking next year I will hook up a commercial watering system like the big boys have. I think I have enough old lawn mowers here that I can just weld them all together with a garden hose between them and then just start them up and they can drag the water down the patch and then I will just revere them the next day. It should work, you think? I will tell you one thing the extended dry spell brought on and that is wasps and hornets. I am finding nests all over the place. Some is good cuz it gets me out of work but I had one under the boat house and we removed that right away.

The main and only street light in town was flickering away the other night, As you may remember Foot footed the bill for a replacement bulb last winter but it looks like it is already going out. We spoke of it at the Lodge meeting the other night and it was decided and voted on that the Lodge would pass the hat and replace the bulb but rename it Foot's light. People tend to give money a little easier when they know where it is going. So we passed a pitcher and we soon raised enough money for a replacement bulb and will have that in. We ordered it from Earl at the general store and he will cover the shipping and Hank says he still has his speed climbing stuff out so he will change it for us.

Nothing going on in the park this weekend, one of them rare bumps in the summer schedule. Good I think as there has been so much foot traffic I think even the park needs a rest. Frank the plow driver will be bring a back hole down and digging the access out a tad. Lake is a little shallow and rains has helped. But some of then tourist have trouble getting their boats in the water and we can't have that. Well I have to pull the honey do list down and see if I can't find a few things to mark off with my bright red pencil. After that is done I will pick up frogs and head out for the evening. I wonder if I add a few things to the list and then cross them off she would notice? Eat breakfast, walk on the dock to check the planks. Hmmm I might just have had an idea. Well from Lake Iwanttobethere (5100)

Mr. Big still swims. Went out last night and fished with some live frogs. They didn't even hit the water before they were gobbled up by Mr. Bigs smaller relatives. All in all a fun way to fish. Brings back memories of searching the banks for live bait, crickets and frogs and turning over logs for worms. Wading the shallows for crayfish. Was as much fun when we were kids gathering the bait as it was fishing with them. Guess in some ways fishing simple is fishing fun. My puddle humper is going on 18 years old now and to some she is getting old. To me she is just right, have everything that I need and as long as I keep her clean I expected to get another 18 years out of her. Hope I can get that many years out of me!

With nothing going on in the park we are just a quiet little fishing town today. Still a fair amount of traffic on the main street and people wandering from shop to shop doing their shopping. Can look out and see a few boats out on Lake Iwanttobethere and the parking lot is half full with trailers at the access. A few groups are having picnics and you can smell BBQ on the wind. I see Amy is just locking the doors to her shop and has a tackle box in hand, I would say she is off fishing to. Walking down main street I see Reed the Realtor was hanging up a newly painted sign in his store front, business must be good for old Reed to spend money on his place. We have had a few cabins change hands here this summer. Since ice fishing is such a big deal here I expect that some more new faces will be showing up here this winter. I have seen a few pickup trucks with plywood in the back and not for any cabin remodeling. Won't be to much longer and trees will start to change color and you will be able to look back into the yards and see what has been going on with the icehouses over the summer. You can always hear some hammering and saws running up here at the lake. I will wait till September before I pull the covers off my house. My granddaughter thinks it is her play house during the summer anyway.

Down to the last week of trap shooting at the Lodge, will have a week off then will start up the fall season, By the time bird season starts we will have our shooting eyes and triggering fingers ready. Bud and Barney have been earning some extra biscuit money by going out into the trap field and retrieving unbroken clay targets. Hammering Hank has not been mowing at all back there and the weeds have gotten pretty high. They act just like hands and catch them before they can hit the ground and break. There are a few guys who shoot, and I can't name names, but the clay birds and the real birds are pretty safe.

Lot of county fairs are in full swing and it is fun to go and hit the surrounding counties. I always seem to check out the 4 H tents and of course the food tents. Flea markets are all over the place and of course the roadside stands for everything from Elvis art to watermelons to used lawnmowers. Easy enough to kill a weekend just taking a drive. Well I hope you have found something to do this weekend, you can always come visit us here at Lake Iwanttobethere (5132)

Wow has it been an interesting couple of weeks. The wife and I had to run down to the city for a funeral so we left the squirrels and chipmunks in charge of the cabin. Surprisingly enough most of the things I thought would happen, didn't. There was no new holes in our furniture and they even did their dishes when done.

Getting back to somewhat of a normal life up here on Lookout Bluff. Had to cut the grass today and I ran out of the precious liquid mid-lawn so I sent the wife downtown to get some more in the can. She came back complaining about the prices of gas and never did tell me what it cost her. Now she's inside making some hobo dinners to make over the fire tonite. Cut potato's, carrots, hunks of beef and some garlic and butter MMMMM. I can smell them already and I have yet to lite the fire.

I met what I believe was one of the local volunteer firefighters today. I asked about joining and the only answer I got was a question about knowing how to hitch horses to the wagon. I'm still trying to figure out if he was pulling my leg or if the old horse drawn fire engine is still in use. I know there are modern firetrucks in the area because I saw them out when the cigar smoke incident at the lodge took place.

Speaking of the lodge, Has there been a verdict on my membership? I hear the wife calling me now. She wants to eat soon so I better go get my flint rock. Figure i'd try to start the fire the old fashion way tonite just to see if I still have the touch. From lookout bluff at Lake Iwanttobethere...(5175)

Town Hall meeting and also the Lodge meeting both at the same time at the Lodge. Was pretty full so had to help Hammering Hank pull out some of the metal chairs from storage and pull back the room divider. One of those rare times when we had women in the Lodge and many were quite surprised at the skylight in the bathroom. Some made mention that they felt like they were outside which was OK for some and others did not like the gray squirrel watching them through the screen.

Reed the Realtor was there passing out some new business cards, The Johnson brothers who are home from college were there. Hammering Hank of course was in the corner chatting with Elmer and Chuck. Mark the mailman and Frank the plow driver were in a heated debate about mailboxes getting clipped along possum drive. Marc from Marc's towing service was passing out free coupons at the door. Doc Burriem was keeping company with Molly Bodensteiner and Wolfgang Puck was listening intently at their conversation. Bucky Snaggletooth had brought in a big bucket of mini-dounuts and was looking for a receipt so he could write them off.

Old man Walter and Jimmy were at a front table along with Mr. McPettes. They were just sipping away at their beers waiting for the meeting to start. You knew when Earl and his son Jr. came in as you could hear his booming voice. Jimmy covered in sawdust was standing at the bar along with Mike from the junkyard and Weird Willie stood by the popcorn machine. In the center of the room gathering most of the attention Mindy, Mandy and the Widow Hess along of course with Amy

The Lodge meeting was called to order first. Minutes were read, which were done. The Loggers days were called a success again. The Lodge made a small profit and that was spent for taxes and Insurance and also Hammering Hank was paid for his repairing of the screen porch and also new 9 volt batteries for the smoke alarms. Jason name was nominated as a new member of the Lodge and after a brief discussion he was voted in to the Lodge and he will be sent a envelope for his DONATION for membership. Also at this time it was announced that a few other visitors to the Lake should be considered for membership so the names of Peatmoss, Blaze, Dan Thiem and Nytelyter if he picks up his dang Atwater from the bait shop. All in favor were asked to raise their glass and all did.

Town Hall then held it's meeting and minutes were read by Floyd everyone filled up their drinks at the bar and returned to their seat as Floyd finished with the minutes. New business was called and answered. Was suggested and passed that the words " end of dock" be painted on the end of the dock as some tourists have been walking off the end of the dock into the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. Passed.

A second light bulb to be purchased for the lone street light so we will have one in stock, passed

A discussion was held in regards to the no lawnmowers or chain saws ran on the weekend, this was tabled for further review.

A discussion was held regarding Del's pizza and sub shop shooting pizza's out into the lake. At this time Del arrived with 20 pizza's as the pizza were passed out it was decide that since no one has been hurt and no other boat other then the Lund hit that it would be tabled for further discussion.

A question was raised in regards to the Town Hall/ ice house and it was decide that a NEW tire would be purchased this fall to replace the leaking one.

The town was given two season tickets to Vikings football games by Old Man McFarlane the town will raffle them off one game at a time and the proceeds will go towards improvements to the town. This passed with a hearty toast by all. Everyone returned to the bar for a refill.

The Viking idea went over so big that the Lodge will look into Twins tickets if they advance into the playoffs, This was also met with a hearty toast and we once again had to refill at the bar.

Meeting was called as Floyd was now having a hard time writing the minutes, This was met with a hearty toast and we all turned our chairs to watch the Twins finish off the Tigers.

From Lake Iwanttobethere (5207)

i am honered and send a hearty thank you for the vote in. i promise i will get that atwater picked up this fall on my trip to the lake. my new job is going well and i have recieved my first raise. with more promised soon. had a great day on the water on my catamaran on sunday. the "KNOT A CLEW" had a very nice sailing wind and was the first sail on the water on sunday morning. and was seen screeming across the lake on many very fast reaches. well i am off to get ready for todays day at work. hope you all have a gr8 day. ... paul

One of my favorite weekends coming up this weekend. I know many of you are looking at the calendar and seeing nothing to note, no holiday's or fairs or new big movies due to come out. Not even a local fishing contest. But Sunday is the annual Lake Iwanttobethere mime picnic!

Yes sir on Sunday which as you know is always silent Sunday for me I will be wandering through the thongs of partying picnickers that will gather in the park and enjoy BBQ and silent laffs with out saying a word. Some of my friends will be there and will be having a difficult time keeping their mouths shuts but I will be in my element. I am sure there will be a lot of poking fingers and waving hands and a good time will be had by all. Last year we had the Lodge open for them and it was a good time till several of them started drinking and locked themselves in a box and would not show us where the door was to let them out. I will let you know if anything interesting happens but it is hard to say anything when you are a mime. I did kind of hear there ad on the radio today but it was just 30 seconds of dead air, That is what reminded me that it was this Sunday.

I did get the letter out in the mail today to the new candidates for Lodge membership that were voted on in last meeting. Besides a form and a envelope to mail their dues in there is also a questionnaire that they need to fill out and one of the question is that they need to post what they will bring to the Lodge as a new member. So we will be waiting to hear from our new members!!

On another note what a great weather day today was, Windy and cloudy and temps in the 60's a joy to work outside for the first time in several months. A real Lake Iwanttobethere kind of summer day! Got those last leaves out of my yard from last fall, just kind of tossed them up in the air and the wind took them all to Elmers' yard. Barney is down on the dock and good thing he has his sea legs as the dock is rising and falling on the waves that are rolling in. Not to many boats out fishing but I do see a few sailboats being tossed about. But then they like the wind. So from Lake Iwanttobethere you have a good evening. (5263)

Membership form

Your name:

Your Lodge Name:

Name you will come to the phone:

Nicknames:

Police alias:

Any Idefiting scars, marks or tattoos?

Any hunting or fishing wounds:

Have you ever belonging to any hunting or fishing clubs before?

Are you wanted by any of them still?

Please list your Hunting skills:

Please list your Fishing skills:

Please list your beer drinking skills:

Do you play cards?

Are you any good?

What if any material things can you bring to the Lodge at or below cost?

Do you have any money making abilities?

Are you afraid of heights Need a civil defense crank turner.

Are you afraid of thin ice? Need a ice tester.

Will you be willing to barter your time working at the Lodge in exchange for dues?

Do you have any known relatives who are members of the Lodge?

Do you have any family recipes for shine?

In at least 100 words describe what you can do to halp the Lodge maintain it's fine relationship with Lake Iwanttobethere

Quote:

...I will be wandering through the thongs of partying picnickers...

What kind of park is this? On my last trip it sure seemed family oriented and tame. I may have to do a little wandering around on Sunday myself, if there is a dress code for the picnic being referenced. If so, does it apply to both guys and gals? I sure don't want to show off the buns to see a few buns.

Getting in the car right after work for the short drive to paradise. I did all of my pre-packing last night so I just need to throw the beer, the bait, the wife, and the dog in the car. Not necessarily in that order. Should be a beaut this weekend. If you see a guy cooking a couple of sirloins over charcoal outside of the resort with a white collared shirt unbuttoned, uncuffed, and generally unruly, stop by for a can or two. I'm planning on running up to the Lodge sometime Saturday evening and introducing myself (if I'm allowed in at all, being a TOURIST and all). Status may have to be discussed, and I am willing to grease the wheels a little with a couple of pitchers of Pabst. I'll be alone as The wife heard there is a box of pull tabs running low, and she is a fiend when it gets to that point. I have learned not to walk in front of her when she's on a mission, but there are a few that have crossed paths, and it got UGLY. It's amazing how that cardboard cocaine affects a person. I once saw a guy spitting out pieces of white paper for about two hours after my wife saw him pull a $222 winner. I just got out of the way and let him fend for himself. Luckily he had only about 50 losers in front of him due to the fact that his table had just been cleared earlier. I can't tell for sure, but I think that the Heimlich maneuver may have been required.

McGurk, a few pitchers of PBR may get you in the door of the Lodge but it will take something better than that to get you back out! As for our picnickers we do ah support a wide and varied group of tourist. Did stop at the nudist gathering as we were having more problems with passing sailboats running aground in front of the park trying to get a better look. The nudest themselves were no problem. Nothing like a group of senior citizens just catching some sun and talking retirement portfolios. I should be out fishing but will be in the Lodge after dark would be happy to raise a glass with you, even show you around the place if you like. From Lake Iwanttobethere

Good ole days, it sounded like a good idea. After reading all of these posts regarding the good ole days I thought I would relive my youth and have a good old day. So I called up some of my friends and we started to plan a day out. The day arrived and I jumped up out of my bed, I immediately fell back into bed with a head spin rushing through my brain, Got to remember to get up slowly. I recovered after a fashion and got dressed, going into the kitchen I made myself a bowl of sugar cereal, I got half way through it when the wife took it away and reminded me about my blood sugars. I fought off the urge and walked past the coffee pot. I went over to the garage and got my borrowed grandsons bike, Carefully I put the two joker playing cards from the deck onto the spokes. Grabbing my old baseball glove I slipped it over the handle bar and with my bat laying across the bars I pushed off down the driveway directly into the gravel ditch where I flipped upside down. As I was laying in the ditch looking skyward and watching the wheel of the bike spinning slowly my wife blocked the sun and said something about not being kid anymore.

She helped me in the house and soon the rocks were washed out of the palms of my hands and they were covered in red meracrome. Returning to fetch my glove and bat I decide to walk over to the vacant lot that we were going to play baseball at. Finding a can I decide to have a little game of kick the can on the way, but I could not look down over my belly to kick the can so I had to just swig the bat at it. I was going to be late so I just stepped on the can and was rewarded with a nice crushing sound. At the lot we only had enough guys for pitchers hand and no one had a hardball so we used a softball. Bottom of the first inning Loyd gets the bat around and drives the ball right through the storm window in the little white house next door.. Hahah we laff you just broke old man Lloyd's window.. Loyd standing and looking at the broken window sees his wife coming out and says " but I am old man Loyd" off he goes to fix his window.

Baseball game is over so we decide to go and shoot off some Estes rockets. I still have a few old engines and Pat has a three stager that we can launch. We head to the football field and assemble our launch area. Spreading out across the field we rub our hands together and look forward to reliving our youth, We start the countdown 5-4-3-2-1 we hit the switch and nothing happens. Jigging wires we laff this is just like old times, Then with out warning the rocket sputters and we back off just in time as the first stage ignites and heads skyward, for about 10 feet it then falls off to one side and heads straight at Josh before the 2nd stage ignites sending the 1st stage tubling across the 20 yard line. 2nd stage does a right turn coming back at launch control, we run behind the blocking sled as it passes overhead and the 3rd stage ignites heading upward till the parachute pops out and catches fire!. The now drifting flaming rocket is drifting toward the tinder dry baseball field. We kind of run towards the landing area all of us huffing and puffing when Josh says between gasps of breath, " yup just like the good ole days" from Lake Iwanttobethere (5331)

So we need an opening line something to catch your eye to continue reading reports from here at Lake I wnattobethere. You know sometimes nothing really does happen around here. Sometimes it is just like you remember, a sleepy, quite little out of the way place. If you lived here you might even think it was kind of boring. Having to gas up to drive into town to buy groceries and take care of the bills. See the dentist or the doctor. No big box stores out here. But then again when you go down to the general store Earl knows your first name and he remembers what size bolt you need to fix that broken handle on the fence gate. Amy already has your hot wheat bread coming out of the oven for your Monday sandwich. Mark the mailman still delivers to your mailbox a letter that is just addressed to Bobby at Lake Iwanttobethere. I can't remember where the keys are to my front door because I can't remember the last night if ever I locked the front door.

Kids still play baseball in the park and even though roller skates have been replace with roller blades cars still look out for them. We don't have street lights we don't have stop signs we don't even have parking meters but one. And that was some local kids who borrowed one and then would move it from one tourist car to another to collect pop money. Some of the back roads here are pretty narrow and if you are pulling a boat trailer or any trailer for that matter you get the right away when meeting oncoming traffic. A friendly wave and a nod of the head that is all that is needed to continue on your way. Block parties? People out here actually know their neighbors, Don't need no parties once a year to have a reason to get together. Hard for new people who move up to the lake to get used to that. More then likely if you are unloading a trailer your neighbor will be right there to help you carry stuff in. While they are doing it they will give you the history of the cabin you just bought or rented. And just like that you are now a part of the history of Lake Iwanttobethere.

You can read elsewhere on this site about the good ole days. Brings back a lot of memories. I guess not because they were really good ole memories but that they are memories and there are others out there who you can share them with. See everyone has something in common. Here it is Lake Iwanttobethere it has always been here and it will always be here. Just need someone from time to time to dust it off and put it at the front of the shelf to be read. It's like playing catch with your dad, just by writing that one line I am sure some of you were reminded of it. For me my old man he threw like a girl and when I told him that he ran me down and pinned me to the ground and tickled me till I about cried saying "who's the girl now"!! My kids don't say that about me, cuz I don't throw like a girl But my grand kids might!

So from a quiet Monday afternoon at Lake Iwanttobethere where the grass is green and needs mowing, the garden needs weeding. The greenhouse did get cleaned and I did make it to the store to buy cat and dog food. Where the sun is shinning and the wind is kicking up a little bit. The loon is floating out on the lake and the old goose is sleeping on the shoreline. Barney is as always looking into the water off the dock and Bud is asleep on the deck. Elmer is smoking fish in the backyard and Chuck is changing oil and swearing under the Dodge. And me, I am just writing a few lines and glad that I am at Lake Iwantobethere. (5375)

Frank the plow driver was out working grading Bass drive outside my cabin and I went out to watch and of course it did not take me long to start offering directions and pointing out missed humps and dips. After a while of my direction Frank got down from his grader and said if I can do a better job go ahead he was going to eat his lunch. Well I climbed right up in and it did not look all that hard. There were little pictures by the handles and they showed what each one was suppose to do. So I started her up and start working away at Bass drive. I looked down at Frank eating his sandwich and sipping on his coffee and he made no comments. I might have gotten a tad close to the trees and after I stopped and cleared the broken branches from the windshield I thought it looked better with those branches gone anyway. Elmer came out on his golf cart and started directing me away from his entrance, I could not hear a word he said over the diesel so I just waved and kept nodding my head. I saw Chuck talking to Frank sitting on the side of the road and Frank kept pointing at his watch and Chuck was waving his hands over his head, I could not hear a word he said either. I thought I was doing a pretty good job but you really can't see about 20 feet in front of you or 20 feet behind you, forget about along the right side over your shoulder. Do you know you can drive right over a 20' tree and not even feel it?

Well Frank was done with his lunch and he stood up and waved at me with hands over his head. I came to a stop and turned off the diesel. Climbing down I had a ringing in my head and I watched as Frank climbed back into the grader and reaching over his head he pulled these ear muffs down and put them on. He waved and started the grader up and drove on down the road. I turned as I felt a tap on my shoulder as Elmer was looking at me and I could see his lips moving and he was waving his hands in the air. I could not hear anything but a quiet roar in my head. He finally just shook his head and walked back toward his golf cart. That crazy Frank, it looked like he had backed his grader right in to Elmers golf cart, there were big black tire tracks right across the back where you once could have stored golf bags but now looked like it would not hold a loaf of bread. O well.. I went out to the road to survey my work, not to bad, perhaps next time I will lower the blade so I can move some dirt around.

After a while the ringing left my head and I could make out Chuck and Elmer yelling at someone about how anyone could be so stupid. Don't know who they were talking about. I decide to go into the Lodge and get some work done there. Am still waiting to do the paper work on some of our newest members. I know I sent out the membership forms and they have to be filled out and then I can file them and collect dues. We have a few things that we should pick up before fall comes. We also need them to fill out our survey on drinking as we will need to make sure we have the right beer stocked. Come fall and we will be having our elections for several important Lodge positions. Always good to have fresh blood on some of the committees and healthy backs to rearrange things. Well I see Chuck and Elmer are coming in the front door so it might be time for me to slip out the back door. From Lake Iwanttobethere (5423)

Just got in from the fire hall, spent most of the day hiding out from Elmer and Chuck for what some might call an incident early this morning. So after I left the Lodge I came down to the fire hall to polish some brass on our fire trucks. I worked for awhile on our newest one a 1946 American LaFrance It has booster tanks a V-12 engine and ladders. We even have the original Legitimus Collins Fire Axes. Parked behind it we keep the 1926 Peter Pirsch Graham Brothers fire truck. A sweet truck with a six cylinder Graham Brothers engine and a four speed stick. The big Hale Rotary Dreadnaught pump pushes out 292 GPM and last but not least when we have to tackle a serious fire we have our 1863 Amoskeag Horse drawn pump fire truck. We have two mares out back of the fire hall that we keep well fed and watered if and when we ever have to pull the Amoskeag out.

When you are a member of our local fire department it carries a lot of pride Not only for the town and the residents of Lake Iwanttobether but in maintaining some of these fine relics of American pride. We used to also have a fire boat with 6 cannons but after the first road was completed all the way around the first bays of Lake Iwanttobethere it was decide it was better to buy the 1926 Peter Pirsch and have year round fire protection. Of course fire fighting is for the younger guys as we older guys just can't drag hose and chop through roofs like we use to. The newer guys also try and get keys to open locked cabin doors and I remember swinging a Collins fire axe. Me and Chuck could go through a door like it was a piece of cardboard. Ahhh those were the days. We are still fire fighters, not firemen. Firemen work on trains, firefighters fight fires. I still get to ride in the parades from time to time. Although the one mare does not like me that much since I gave her that plastic carrot but that was an accident. We do have a few positions opening up and I thought that Jason had expressed an interest but he has not been seen around town as of late.

I think this weekend is another quiet one, A fishing contest is all that I know of and I will be out on Sunday as I am helping Hammering Hank install some windows on Saturday at a cabin and then will be doing some cedar shake repair. Still something for us old guys to do. A lot of the cabins around here are still made of logs and shakes. Not a real cabin if it is made with plywood and shingles. If ya can't have a little air moving in the winter you just don't get that real cabin feel. Not to mention it is another way for the smoke to get out of the cabin when you have a bad draft in the chimney.

Time for me to head to the Lodge for a night cap, Chuck and Elmer should be gone by now. From Lake Iwanttobethere (5435)

Membership form

Your name: paul l

Your Lodge Name: baby huey

Name you will come to the phone: anything but late for dinner

Nicknames: I have a few that my ex used to call me but I cant post them here

Police alias: none (yet)

Any Idefiting scars, marks or tattoos?scar on appendix area from tube slide into water caught a sharp edge from when dad and uncles put it in that spring. Bled like a banshee

Any hunting or fishing wounds: nope (again yet)

Have you ever belonging to any hunting or fishing clubs before? Yes. Fishing Minnesota.com

Are you wanted by any of them still? I hope so

Please list your Hunting skills: used to chase after tree rats now I just to look to trap a beaver or two

Please list your Fishing skills:walleyes and panfish fear me

Please list your beer drinking skills:I have eased off the brew alot but will still tip an occasional bottle.

Do you play cards? Yes texas hold’em and very poor cribbage

Are you any good? Holdem yes just finished up a season in a league of 16000 in 38 place and 11 in my region

What if any material things can you bring to the Lodge at or below cost? Still have a few ins in the appliance industry, and am now running a convenience/liquor store

Do you have any money making abilities? Welll I am a salesperson! Have been all my life.

Are you afraid of heights Need a civil defense crank turner. Hights? No falling? No but the sudden stop at the bottom scares the dump out of me!

Are you afraid of thin ice? Need a ice tester.at over 350lbs. I think you may know that answer.

Will you be willing to barter your time working at the Lodge in exchange for dues? yes

Do you have any known relatives who are members of the Lodge? Not that I am aware of.

Do you have any family recipes for shine? Nope grew up here in the north country.

In at least 100 words describe what you can do to halp the Lodge maintain it's fine relationship with Lake Iwanttobethere

welll lets see I can occupy a chair on a porch and watch work all day with ease. I am a makeshift father of invention. And will always find an easier way to do and to also get out of doing. I could organize and direct a hold em tournament. Am a very cook and well know my way around a bbq and grill. And know the difference between the two. And as a general manager I have done everything from facilities engenieer to payroll. Quiet Sundays are not a problem for me as I love to watch nascar and have a great set of headphones to use for that as well. And I would even consider buying and donateing that second bulb for the mainstreet lamppost thank all the lodge members that have voted me in and my membership check “is in the mail” . paul