• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha Recalls 70,000 Quads

Dave

Yamaha Motor Corporation U.S.A., Cypress, Calif., has recalled approximately 70,000 Yamaha Bruin 250, Bruin 350 4WD and 2WD, Big Bear 400, Kodiak 400, Kodiak 450, and Wolverine 450 ATVs. The company began sending letters to affected consumers on October 14.

Yamaha says the protective boots covering the steering system's tie-rod ends (universal joints) on the recalled ATVs could be pinched during installation or adjustment, cutting a hole in the rubber. If this occurs, grease could escape, and contaminants such as sand or mud could get into the assembly through the hole, causing accelerated wear. This could result in abnormal steering free play. If the ATV continues to be operated without repair, the ball and socket portion of the tie-rod end could wear to the point that they separate, resulting in loss of steering control, which could cause a vehicle crash.

I have a 2005 Honda Rancher AT and just received my recall notice for the tie rod ends. Sounds like the same problem with punctured boots. My 2004 Rancher AT was recalled for the same thing. I wonder if Honda and Yamaha are sourcing tie rod ends from the same vendor?