• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow hunting over a decoy

zumbromuskie

I decided to give a decoy a try. Wondered if anyone else has some insight/experiences to share. I wasn't happy about dropping the $130 bucks, but talk about being worth the money. I've had several small bucks come within range to check out the decoy. I even watched one spike buck hang around for 15 minutes. Eventually he squared off and tried to stare it down. Funny. Everytime I've seen a buck in the distance all I needed was a little lite rattle and they come right in when they spot the decoy.

I shot a little doe last night (my first deer) that was completely at ease due to the decoy. I already posted this, but I also missed a big 8 at 30 yrds about 1.5 weeks ago. My heart was pounding so hard I could hear it!

Congrats on shooting your first deer.

Hunting over a decoy is really fun. You can see some hilariously funny stuff when you get a decoy in the woods. Deer do goofy things this time of year- especially when there's a decoy around.

Depending on what type of decoy you are using (buck or doe) should determine which way it is facing and how you use it. If it is a doe, face it away from you and douse the rump with some estrous. If you are using a buck decoy face it towards you slighly quartering and douse the area with buck urine. A Buck will approach a doe from the rear and a buck from the front. I think I will use one this weekend. Be carefully transporting it during firearms season. Wrap it in blaze or something. Also it is a good idea to use a drag line with some estrous on it, freshening it every 25 to 30 yards while walking to your stand. Walk to your stand just as you would want the deer to appraoch. This will sometimes lure a buck that would usually not show himself. This is by far the best sport in my opinion! Good Luck!!!

Are you guys hunting in Minnesota? Maybe I am misinformed and not up to date with my laws. When I read the posts here I guess I am assuming you talking of hunting in Minnesota. In what I have learned hunting over a decoy is frowned upon. I am positive nobody here would ever brag of doing this knowing it is not legal! Again I am maybe just misinformed and confused! Good luck!

I am real interested in these decoys but would really like to hear from guys that have actually used them. Is the doe or buck decoy better? Is the flat 3D decoy enough etc etc etc etc etc etc.......

slab slayer----you are misinformed------there is nothing wrong with hunting over a decoy for deer.

I have/had a doe decoy and put a basket rack on it because the does would always get nervous around the doe decoy. The change made a huge difference, especially with bucks.

jeff

For all those........if I rubbed them the wrong way! I apologize for my statements on the decoys! I was misinformed! VERY MISINFORMED! I took the words of my Dad too much for granted while not looking into it myself! Guess he was telling me his opinion and not the laws opinion! AGAIN I apologize.....Now its time for me to go get one!

I have been going out seems like forever! I am getting very frustrated! Seeing deer but always behind trees! Never in the open space in front of me! Any suggestions? I did see a pig stand broad side 30 yards. Passed up though. Was getting to close to the end of the day, but everytime I put my pin on him I could not see him. Took my eyes off the pin and he appeared. Blinked hard and lined the pin up, he disappeared. Figured it was too dark and wanted to be sure of my placement......So he walked off! Saw himi again on Monday, but was busy trailing a doe hard! Had no interest in any of my gestures!

Your problem with not being able to see the deer once you put your pin on the deer is most likley your peep sight. I had this same problem and i would say 80% of the deer i see are in the last few minutes of legal shooting hours so the solution i found was a low light peep sight that help me alot in seeing the target beyond the pin. I know they make several differnt styles you should be able to go to an archery shop and they can determine which would be best for you.