• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loading onto trailer

Yellow Dog

I have a trailer with plywood decking and I am wondering if I should put something for the skiis to slide on.

I've seen some trailers with factory stuff...but if anybody has cheap ideas, that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Personally, I'm not too worried about the plywood deck on my trailer. It will eventually be cheaper to replace the plywood than to purchase plastic ski guides to put on the trailer.

The one thing that I would recommend is some kind of traction for the track screwed down to the deck of the trailer. Whether you buy a kit from an aftermarket company or make your own out of old hyfax.

One of my sleds is studded and the other isn't. The sled without studs will slide ride back down and off the trailer if I don't get it in the right spot, hit the brakes, and get the trailer to flip down all in own somewhat smooth process. A little ice on the trailer really makes this a pain in the arse.

My buddy and I bought a sheet of Polypropylene sp?

Cut it into strips. Much cheaper than the products sold for this purpose but not sure how easy to find. He is in the mfg business so he had a supplier available. You definitely want something under those skis. The carbine runners will do a number on the plywood if you load/unload frequently.

I have seen runners that you would put down on the bottom of an ice fishing sled. They are poly and come in different sizes that you could put down on the plywood.

Either that, or just buy some 1 x 2 furring strips which would lift the skiis right off the bed itself, but would allow the carbide runner to go between.

For the studded track, a couple of furring strips perpendicular to the track would solve the issue of sliding back. Just enough for the studs to catch something and stop it from coming back.

No sense in making the cost more than what it needs to be...

Steve

You doing the bearings as well Paul???

I wise man also told me to break your lug nuts loose on your trailer tires at least once a year, preferably in the summer when it is nice out rather than on the shoulder of the freeway with a flat in the middle of winter.

Hanson, that's great advise. I had a lugnut on my snowmobile trailer (brand new, never taken off before) strip the threads on the stud so I was stuck on the side of the road. (and no I didn't turn it the wrong way) Someone at the factory must have cross threaded it. Bad deal to say the least. Having a spare tire doesn't help if you can't get the old one off!

Funny you mention lug nut problems...I couldn't get my tire off to replace it.

I went to Northern Tool and bought the whole hub--nuts,greased with bearings intact--for about $30 bucks.

This saved a ton of screwing around--no pun intended.