• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bucks in Rut

vexilar65

I am just wondering if anyone else is noticing some bucks being in the early rut yet? I have 4 active scrapes near one of my stands, 1 is being hit really hard. I was out on Sunday, and noticed that the bucks that came out were all chasing does. Just thought if anyone else was noticing any activity. Let me know.

Shoot to Kill.

I've been noticing lately that the bucks have been more active with scraping and I seen one buck that had a hell of a big neck. In my opinion they are in the pre-rut stage still. I mean they are always ready to breed. These bucks are marking their territory and establishing their boundaries. They ought to be responding to some rattling here pretty shortly.

I second leechbait. I have noticed this going on for a couple weeks now. Just cant get them into range.

One question. Do the drag lines work good for leaving scent down or is it better to spray directly on the ground.

Seems to me draging something would not be as good as puting the pee directly on the ground as you leave your line.

Was up in Iron River, Wi last weekend. There were some signs of pre-rut....scrapes that were being freshened up each night...and bucks being territorial. I had a nice buck come right into me due to my grunting...he was ticked off another buck was in his area. Had him come in too late though...just saw his body well past shooting time. Wish I could have been up there this week. It's getting good.

I agree. I have seen a couple fresh rubs and scrapes as well. Talked to a friend of mine who is up at Camp Ripley and he couldn't believe all of the chasing going on. It's going to get cool this weekend too. Primetime Hunting!!! Not that temperature does much for the rut itself but it will get them on their feet!!! GETTING PUMPED- smile.gif

You guys aren't going to believe this, but my father called me Wednesday night to tell me that he had a heavy beamed 6 point in his yard and he watched it mount a mature doe. The buck went for several minutes, before they separated and ran off into a cornfield. I don't know about you, but that's the earliest I've ever heard of actual mating activity. My dad lives near Saginaw in Michigan. On a map, that would be between the thumb and forefinger on the mitt (LOL). I live just north of Detroit. I've been seeing some pretty heavy pre-rut activity, with lots of bucks "moving" does around, but no signs of actual estrous does.

Any Michigan guys out there, we now have our own forum. Check it out.

Every year there are articles about an "early rut" that usually only involves the most mature does. I've read with great interest about this. It seems that it only happens with the matriarch of the herd or the most mature doe. Its hard to hunt unless you know you have that kind of animal in your area.

Pre-rut has started in central MN. This morning i had a decent 8 point run it to my rattlin. He got about 35 yards down wind when he got wind of my scent rag. He followed it right to where it was hanging on the tree, sniffed a bit, 10 yards from my stand, and walked away. Being i decided i wasnt going to take him i grunted as he walked away and immediately he grunted back, turned around and walked right back up to the rag. Finally, not finding a sparring partner, he walked into the corn. These cool temps. are really getting the deer moving.

Good story eyes!

I rattled saturday morning. My buddy said a six point went by him and was headed right to me because of it. I didn't see the six point but the 3 does following it came right in. I could not get a shot on them though. One of them always had an eye on me. Could not move without being busted and had my bow hanging. The stand needs to be adjusted. That's bow hunting though....still fun times! I did hear the six point grunt so he must have been around. It's time!!