• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley

rocky

We will be heading up to Ripley for the weekend hunt in a couple weeks and throughout the years we have hunted all throughout the reserve. I was just curious if anybody had any preferences as to which part of the refuge that they hunt.

I was there last year and have got some GPS coordinates but if I gave you those you might end up stepping on my buddies toes. I think that the farther back you go, the better it is. Everybody goes in a half mile and goes into the woods. That's where it gets so populated. We would go quite a ways back and you still get the occasional hunter moving through the woods...which is good to get the deer moving. Make sure you bring a GPS. In that terrain, it doesn't take long to get turned around. Good luck and let us know how you do.

I just got a report from Camp Ripley from a couple buddies and they got (1) 8 pointer down and they said the bucks are starting to get into rut and chasing does all over the place. I wish I were up there. Oh well maybe next year!!

Studer,

I agree that the farther back you go the better odds of getting away from the other hunters. I however on this trip coming up next saturday do not have that luxury. My father is getting a little older so the long trecks back into the woods are no longer a viable option. I am not looking for specific spots but just general areas which might be better than others. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

I'm also hunting Ripley this coming weekend and I'm very excited as usual.

I thought I would share with you first timers a couple of unfortunate stories that happens too often at Ripley.

Last year I was at the weight in on Sat. evening and they were weighting in a nice buck and while the hunter, who supposedly shot the deer was standing there answering questions about where he shot it, there was a guy yelling at him about how he had taken his buck. Apparantly this guy claimed he made a fatal shot and when he followed the blood trail a little while later, found this guy and his buddy dragging it out. He thought they were doing him a favor until he saw the guy had his tag on it. They argued a bit and the guy still wouldn't admit anything and his buddy just shrugged his shoulders. Knowing that he was outnumber at that time he called in the camp patrol. They basically said that because this guy had his tag on it and you cant prove it was your deer then there is nothing more they can do.

Unfortunately a very similar thing happened to a coworkers husband this year on the Thur./Fri. hunt. He followed the blood trail of a nice buck he shot and it lead right to a gut pile. When he caught up to the guy dragging it out, the guy also claimed it was his and that he had shot the deer twice, thus the two holes.

It just makes me sick that people would claim a deer that they didn't shoot. Even if the deer was still walking and you shot it to kill it, I would let the person who originally shot it, have it.

Normally if you shoot a deer you would want to give it some time to expire, just in case. At Ripley you better hit the ground running so you can claim your deer.

Good luck to everyone hunting up there this weekend.

Nels

My buddy and I were hunting the same area and were not far apart. I was grunting and then I heard some leaves moving from my buddies way. I then heard him shoot and thought he yelled "Get him". Well a buck came running my way and I ended up dropping him with a spine shot. Well it was an 8 pointer and he did have a good lung shot. I told him it was a good thing he had a good shot on it and it wasn't a mounter otherwise I would have to fight him for it. He told me he yelled "I got him and I got him good". I told him if a deer is still moving you keep shooting and that is why I shot him again especially after hearing stories like this when people tag your deer on you. I told him he owes me some meat and we would be even.

Unfortunate stories Nell that you talk about. I would dread the day that happened to me...what's a guy do confused.gif Sounds like nothing mad.gif

Neiko- nice job on helping your buddy take that 8 pointer. Sounds like a good time and a successful hunt for you and your buddy.

Nels, a coworker of mine had the same thing happen to him. He shot a nice 8 pointer and while tracking it found that another guy had tagged it already. His name is Ken, maybe the same guy? He did end up with another buck, but not as big as the first one.

A ground blind will work just as good as a tree stand IMO at Ripley. I just like to be up in the tree so I get an idea of the lay of the land there. You don't get a chance to scout before hand so it's nice to take advantage of all the time I have in there.

We hunted the thurs-fri season this year, but didn't see as many deer as we have in the past when hunting the weekend. It seemed that the rut hadn't quite hit yet, and after the first morning we abandoned the spot we've been hunting for the last 5-6 years. Even though we've seen many monsters in that area, there was just no sign this time around. We did some scouting during the day on weds. and ended up finding a decent spot where my dad almost got a shot on what he figured was a 150-160 class buck, and the last night he passed on a 20 yard shot at a smaller eight point since it was starting to get kinda dark. We talked to one guy that said his party was seeing 20-30 deer a day up by mud lake, but not any big boys. From what I saw, it seemed that a majority of the deer were still up in the acorns, and the bucks were still moving mostly at night since the does have yet to cycle. We hunted a scrape line weds night and thurs morning, and it was freshened up overnight, but we saw only a doe and a couple fawns the next evening. There was still a lot of deer shot though, and with the cold weather that set in, the rut should be in full swing by this weekend- which should be a lot of fun.

As far as other hunters claiming your deer, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I've been participating in this hunt for the past 5 years, and my old man has been going since the early 70's and we've never seen that happen. I'm not saying that it never does, just that you don't need to jump out of your stand and chase a deer that is questionably hit because you think someone else will take it. Do however, expect to see other hunters in the woods, and be respectful of them. Most guys will give a whistle if you're walking by their stand, so just head away from them and they'll be no issues. The first couple times I was there I got frustrated when I would see guys walking in when I was already up in my morning stand. I got pretty worked up at one guy who either couldn't hear, or ignored my whistle, and set up a ground blind within 50 yards of me. I finally realized that it just doesn't matter there when seven deer walked by my stand five minutes after he did. Remember, these deer are only hunted a few days out of the year, and are also in the full swing of rut- anything can happen. Its Ripley, believe it or not! grin.gif

Ripley, believe it or not. Very funny. Anyway, we've got 80 acres against ripley, and you would not believe some of the stories I could tell you about the deer (and deer hunters) that I see come out of there.

For example, this last year we had a healthy three-legged doe come out of ripley into our acreage. I saw it and passed it up, but the cousin shot her. Was a beautiful doe with only one front leg. Her other front leg was missing below the knee joint. She had either been shot in the leg some years back or it was a defect, but she got along just fine on one leg. When she came cruising by me I only noticed her handicap by the peculiar hop from the opposing back leg.

After careful observation of my aerial maps, I have a few good spots picked out. Hopefully they won't be to busy. I can hardly wait after hearing all the reports from the hunters I have talked to that were there last week. The deer should really be moving this weekend with the increased rut activity.

Aerial photos are nice and so are good topo maps. The problem, I've found, is that a lot of other hunters must use aerial photos and maps also. Those spots are the obvious ones and they are usually crowded, so try and get as close to the front of the line as possible if you want to hunt there or pick a less obvious one.

Good luck,

Nels

Nels

That is probably very true. I guess all a guy can do is try and if someone is there, then try somewhere else. Sounds like it should be a nice weekend for sitting in the woods.

Guys.........My group of 3 will be heading there saturday morning.....We've never been there before so our plan is to just drive there on saturday at daybreak and go from there, how does that sound? We plan on going north the way it looks, but that could change too. We plan on scouting until noon or so, find three spots for us, head back to the pickup for a quick lunch and then off to sit until dark. We plan on doing alot of walking on saturday morning, so we are going to dress for walking and not sitting, so we don't get all sweaty for our sit.

If anyone happens to see my truck and people by it come say hi....It will be a 2001 White Dodge Ram, with a decal in the extended cab windows

Bucks-n-ducks

That's when I'll be heading up there with the group of guys I was with last year. We plan to go up early Saturday morning and waiting in line. Tomorrow would be an excellent day to sit around, drink some kool-aid wink.gif and camp. Unfortunately most of us work until later in the day and we are happy to be going in the am vs. tomorrow night.

Sounds like a good plan bucks-n-ducks. That is exactly what we did. Wait until some light comes up and go scouting. On Sunday, of last year, we found a different place from what we saw on Sat. and are going to that spot Saturday morning.

Good Luck Nells, bucks-n-ducks and everyone else headed up there this weekend!!

here is my Ripley report. Ran itto a bunch of people at our usual spots the first morning so it required some scouting to find a new spot. We found a nice spot and had ot to ourselves the rest of the weekend. Never thought we could find a spot away from the crowd and still see deer. We seen some dandy bucks but they were either to far away or the close ones were running after does. We did not connect this time but seeing alot of deer is still half the fun. How did everyone else do?

Well our group didn't arrow any deer, we had a chance at a real nice 130 class buck with real dark horns, but the guys arrow hit some brush and missed. Being our first year saturday we drove around most of the day trying to get away from people, that kinda wasted saturday....Sunday it was raining when we got up, so we waited until about 10 to hit ripley, we did end up finding a decent spot sunday evening, it gives us a good start for next year..........Biggest as of sunday at 10 was a 213 lb buck, didnt ask about does..........

Bucks-N-Ducks