• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Opener, how did you do?

rundrave

My party limited out on Saturday we were done at around 3pm. Sunday we were done abour 2:30 or so. Hunted about 10 miles north of Wagner. Tons of birds everywhere, got alot of shooting in, and the weather was perfect.

Also saw tons of deer, and they werent little either.

Most of the corn is pretty much out which really help on locating some of the birds.

All in all, perfect weekend to be out.

Hey rundrave. I am going to be headed out to the Wagner area pheasant hunting in a few weeks. It will be the first time in S.D. for me. Were you hunting on private or public land? Is there any decent public land around there? Is the private land very accessible or not? By the sound of your post there must be a few birds around there. Thanks for any info.

I was hunting private land "Relatives", but there are a few public walk in areas. We even hunt a couple every now and then depending on how much water, dry or not, and what the crops are like around them.

You can get your limit easily hunting public land, and you may have to walk a ways to get to the birds, but thats what its all about right?

I couldnt tell you where each are located but this link. It will show all public walk in areas. Pretty slick little tool:

Public Land Maps for SD

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. When are you headed out? It will be a blast hope you enjoy it. Be sure to post how you do.

Thanks for the info. We have a connection that got us to the land we are going to hunt on. I don't know how much land we have to hunt so I'm just looking for options. The SD dnr sent me the public land book thats handy too. We are going out there Nov. 10-13 most likely. I don't mind having to walk a ways if it means I'm going to get some birds.

I am heading to SD tomorrow with 2 buddies to pheasant hunt.. I am a pheasant virgin but 1 of the buddies went last year. They hunted private land last year and paid the land owner.. This time we r gonna try to find public land to hunt. My question is will public land without a bunch of people be easy to find or nearly impossible? How far into SD do you have to go to find prime pheasant hunting? sorry for the crazy questions but im a rookie? Please give any other helpfull info you have... Thanks in advance

There is plenty of fresh public land yet in SoDak. I'm not sure how far in you will have to travel, but I can tell you that the public land around Aberdeen and towards the South is execellent. Public lands will yield birds all year long. They get pushed a bit hard and the birds get wilder/smarter quicker, but you should be fine yet this weekend.

Don't overlook road hunting as evening approaches. I'd hit the gravel roads about 2 hours before sundown and drive around. Another good bet would be to walk HSO ditches bordering standing corn.

Plenty of public land to hunt. Just pick up a walk-in altas when you buy your license. They are free and show all the public hunting areas. Hunting has been good around the Lake ponisett area for me this year.