• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Estrous time?

fishin58

I have a big weekend of hunting this weekend thanks to the teachers break, I still have not drawn my bow back this year, have not got a deer close enough. I was thinking of pulling out the estrous for this coming weekend, but is it too early??

I'm fairly new to bowhunting but I don't think so. I've read an article where it says it might not help if the bucks aren't looking but it shouldn't screw you up either. In other words, they won't be repelled from the area, just won't be interested. Trial and error is the way to go in my opinion.

I'put up a scrape dripper with some active scrape (buck and doe in estrus urine) over a mock scrape last week. No realy buck sign but some deer tracks around it so it might be a curiousity if nothing else.

I am thinking i will try puting down some doe scent this weekend myself. I know the bucks are trailing doe now as i have seen it twice. Once in area 225 and once in area 341.

I Grunted a nice 8 point out yesterday morning affter seeing two doe in the same area just 10 minuts earlier. Long story short he never got in range, but very exciting calling him out. He came out fast with the hair standing on the back of his neck. Some of the things you are forced to watch bowhunting. Not complaining I love it.

Anyway like the other guy said, It wont hurt nothing puting down scent and the rewards could be great. I have found that it may take a day or so for a buck to cross the scent and then stay in the area so dont get frustrated if things dont happen right away. I personaly like to use Whitcomes doe in estrus scent. Very fresh stuff. They also have fresh buck scent as well. Buck scent is a good option this time of season as well for they are getting rather agresive toward each other. Good luck to you and enjoy the great outdoors with your time off.

I use to use scents all of the time, different types of scents for different times of year. Now the only scent I use is cover scents. Reason being, if you put doe urine around your stand to attract a big buck, then your human scent is also blowing in the same direction. I primarily hunt the wind which is huge in bowhunting. And if you are hunting the wind properly, than any scents that you put out would be blowing i.e. into the cornfield etc. and would not be helping you much, but as stated above, trial and error is best. You can read all you want and watch all kinds of videos but until you get out in the field and kick a deer up or get busted pulling back, or miss a shot, that is the best way to learn!! Good luck!!

I'm also not a big believer that scents will make a buck do a B-line into your area if he's not already there. What I do think it will do is get them to stop and investigate if they are in the area. Last year I had a buck stop to investigate my scent dripper for a milisecond but took off before I could pull the trigger. He looked like he had to find a doe or he was gonna have a heart attack. Lesson learned on that one, with a shotgun at least, was to be ready to shoot at the drop of a hat. Wouldn't have taken that shot with a bow.

I agree with you chucker. Scents will get deer curious and get them to investigate and possibly even stay a little longer, also when making mock scrapes etc, you have got to have some scents, but I think the single most important factor to deer hunting is the wind. I will still as I am walking to my stand tie a drag line with some doe [PoorWordUsage] on it to help cover my scent and maybe get a buck interested. Also during the rut, bucks are more likely to chase a hot doe and not care so much about other scents such as human scent. Afterall that is why the rut is so much fun to hunt. Bucks with love on there minds will get themselves killed. What a blast tricking the elusive whitetailed deer into walking in front of you and letting one fly!!

Thanks guys for your thoughts so far, i think i will try little hot pee this weekend, i have had success with my mock scrapes so far. i guess they are not set up close enough to my stand! By the way i am a pretty cheap guy and I dilluted my mock scrape scent with regular water and put it in a spray bottle. i just spray the scrape down good and i dont go through the stuff that fast. It has worked for me so far i have hits on 2 of my 3 scrapes. I think its great guys can talk about hunting this way, guys are a little tight lipped when it comes to fishing.

Well i was out spotting this evening saw 2 small 6 pointers chasing a doe.Looking at the calender in my truck thinking could it actualy be starting.Sure enough after 15 minutes or so she finaly stopped arched her back and 1 buck jumps up.

Few minutes go by and the 2 bucks fight for a short 10-20 seconds and the winner chased off the other and returned to the doe and jumped back up.

Here comes the other buck back for more.Oh he stops about 75 yards away and lays down.Doe lays down while the buck struts around her he pokes her in the back she gets up and they do it again.

Yesterday morning i saw a doe that looked like her hair on the rump was all messed up like she had been breeding too.

Friend of mine called me last night and asked me if it was possible this early as he to saw buck chasing a doe around a hay field.

Any of you guys ever try laying down a kite string scent trail? I've had good success with just using pure ammonia or with just a little bit of either estrous scent or even tarsal scent during the pre-rut. I killed my 1st buck many years ago using this trick. The buck followed the string and stopped right at the end. That's all she wrote, xx75 through the lungs...

Any MI guys out there, we now have our own forum. Check it out.