• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

German shorthair and Viszla differences

Big Dave2

What are the basic differences between a German shorthair and a Viszla? I have hunted once behind a Viszla but never with a GSP. They seem like they would be very similar dogs to me. Same size, temperment, hunting ability. What am I missing?

I'm not a Viszla expert but the ones I've seen seem to be a little softer in temperament than the average GSP. They seem like more of a one person/family dog whereas a GSP will likely go with anyone that comes along. Everyone posts how they need to be around people and in the house so they must bond very close to their master. They are probably not as independent and/or rangy either. These are my observations anyway. I'm sure there are some that can tear it up way out there but I just haven't seen any.

One year we were a Game Fair and the Viszla club was there and a guy had a little female that was just a little sweetheart. She wanted nothing more than to be petted.

In either case GSP or Viszla you'll need to do some homework to find what you want.

gspman

Here is one that I am very qualified to answer. I am a Vizsla owner and my good buddy owns GSP's. I have hunted with both breeds for the better part of 15 years.

Gspman is right, the Vizsla is a dog with a softer temperament. This makes them very easy to train as all they want to do is make you happy. They do need to be around their family and they bond very closely with their family and especially the person who does the training. They do not respond well to a firm hand in training and typically need only minimal correction. They are also very affectionate, and you end up with a 45# lap dog. They also are a calmer dog that won't be bouncing off the walls if you miss a day of excercise.

In the field, they hunt very close and typically slower than a GSP. When we hunt, my buddy's GSP hunts the horizon and my Vizsla works close to us. It works pretty good as we tend to get excellent coverage. They mature slower than a GSP as hunters as well. This means that they don't typcially start to shine until their third hunting season although they do well in season number two. Don't expect much in the first hunting season. The Vizsla (at least mine) makes a better grouse dog than the GSP as they don't get as close to the bird on the point and grouse will not tolerate being crowded by a pointer. Plus they hunt closer to you so even if they crowd a bird the flush is closer and you actually have a chance at bagging the bird.

The Vizsla is a smaller dog than the GSP. Most females weigh 40-50 and males 45-60. Mine is a medium size and she is 23" tall at the shoulder and weighs 43#. Because they are smaller, they tire more quickly than a GSP. They don't shed as heavily as a GSP since they don't have as much fur. However, they do not take cold weather as well as a GSP. Mine shivers when it's 50 and although she'll hunt in cold weather it's a challenge when you want to stop and get a bite to eat and have to leave them in cold vehicle.

Whichever dog you get will be an excellent choice for a pet and field dog. The thing to remember is that the dog is first and foremost a pet since we only spend three months out of the year hunting. As gspman said, do your homework to make sure you get a dog you can live with for the next 13-15 years.

Excellent, Excellent posts!!! Thank you guys very much. That clears up a lot of things. I really enjoy hunting behind my friends Vizsla. He is very smart, doesn't range too far and does all of this with very little training.

Thanks again for all of your insight.

Dave

I'm also a vizsla owner and also hunt with several shorthairs in our hunting group. I agree with most everything that has been said already except for range. I think it is very important to select the right parents no matter what type of breed you choose. I know of several slow working shorthairs that are very methodical and also some field trial vizsla lines that will run big with a english pointer. Pick the right parents for YOUR hunting style, that can't be stressed enough. I think that the german breeds are a bit hard headed and can handle mistakes and tougher methods of training than a vizsla. It is also harder to find a great vizsla because the breed doesn't have the numbers like a shorthair. Expect to pay about $600 for a good shorthair and $1000 for a vizsla with similar titles.

I have Setters, so hav never owned either of these shorthaired dogs. But I've hunted over a number of each.

The Visla can be a wild, big running dog, too. I hunted with a pair that were the worst, high strung, boneheaded mutts I've ever had the displeasure to hunt with. Then another acquaintance had a female that was a true gem. Close working, mannered and did a nice job in the woods. Do research before buying any pup and if you want a gentleman's foot hunting dog, run, not walk away from those field trial lines.

I have shown, trialed, hunted, bred V's for about the last 17 years. They are great dogs and each is an individual. Some range farther some closer. Some are bolder some more docile. But one thing for sure is that if you want a good dog for hunting and the house I would take them any day over the GSP. I have hunted with each and just fell to the V's. It is your own choice but I also used mine for duck hunting! Got over 500 bords with Mike. He broke ice and all! Loved the work. The one thing I liked about them is they adapt to their surroundings. If you are out West and in the big rolling prairies they put the motor on and get out there a good ways. If you are in the tight cover they work close. I have some great contacts for quality dogs if you want. [email protected]

My friends will never forget Mike and Stormy. Now all hunting dogs are compared to them. It is a nice thing.