• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher Hockey!

Hockey Guy

Alright… Let’s just settle down a little here! Let’s just see how everything plays out on the ice. I’m not going to bash anyone but I would like to explain my position a little if I may.

First and foremost I am a hockey fan. I grew up in Minnesota playing hockey and I still play 3 times a week in the “old man’s league”. I think that there are a lot of Minnesotan’s out there that share the same opinions I do about college hockey and the participation of Minnesota players. I am a huge supporter and promoter of Minnesota hockey at every level. I obviously like the Gophers because I grew up watching them and idealizing those guys. I always liked the fact that the Gophers only took high school players from Minnesota. Red Lake is correct that the Gophers did fall short of expectations a number of times in the past. But keep in mind that they were all players from Minnesota, straight out of high school, with no junior hockey experience. Yet, they still were always a force to be reckoned with almost every year. I’m proud of that!

In today’s college hockey it’s impossible to continue that tradition with so many schools recruiting 21 or 22 year-old freshman out of Canada and other areas. The Gophers finally jumped aboard with the rest of college hockey and started to recruit differently. They still have a commitment to Minnesota players but will go after “stand out” players no mater where they are from. They have to do it to compete.

Looking at the rosters of college hockey teams across the nation still makes me proud of Minnesota hockey! Gopher’s – 26 players, 20 from MN. North Dakota – 27 players, 11 from MN and only 3 from ND. It’s like that throughout the NCAA except there are not as many Minnesota players on the east coast.

Bemidji does have a great coach! The only problem I have with Bemidji hockey is that most of their players are 22-24 years-old and only 5 are from Minnesota and most of them are Canadian. I understand that they have to recruit that way because a good player from Minnesota is usually going to select the Gopher’s as their first choice.

Red Lake, I do think the Beavers are going to make some waves this year and I’m happy for them. A good season will promote the school and should help with the new arena. Anytime a youngster from Minnesota is excited to go to a game and that sparks their interest to join youth hockey, I’m all for it. I don’t care if it’s in Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, Bemidji, or Minneapolis.

I think you and Buzzsaw have more in common than either of you would like to admit. You are both passionate about your hockey and your favorite team. I think that’s great. I just want all the No. Dak fans out there to know where most of their players are coming from. laugh.gif

Hockey Guy,

Well said. It is hard not to like you.

I do carry a grudge against Minnesota Gophers hockey because of their arrogance to only have Minnesota boys on their team. I think it is ridiculous. It hurt their program, is what it did. Imagine, turning away a young man because he was from North Dakota or Canada. It leaves a bad taste even when you are from the state. Minnesota didn't win squat until the Grand Forks boys showed up anyway. The Putulny boys were a nice addition to the team.

I grew up watching the Winnipeg Jets. I have always liked college hockey but the pro game live gets me every time. I would sit in Winnipeg arena and watch Paul Coffee, Jari Kurri, Wayne Gretzke, Glenn Anerson, Doug Smail (Sioux product) Dale Hawerchuck, Pat Elynuik, and how could you not be in awe.

(Those names were dropped for....... Buzzsaw) Hopkins Graduate

And none of these boys from Minnesota. They would have all been cut from the Gopher hockey team for not being Minnesota boys. That is how stupid a concept that is for me.

I like to see the good Candadian boys get a chance at hockey and an educaion down here in the states. Plus they get to go up against the hauty golden gophers and that is what it is all about.

It should be a fun year. I will tune into as many Gopher games as I can. I always end up cursing at some point in the broadcast when Woog says something brilliant.

Quote:

I grew up watching the Winnipeg Jets. I have always liked college hockey but the pro game live gets me every time. I would sit in Winnipeg arena and watch Paul Coffee, Jari Kurri, Wayne Gretzke, Glenn Anerson, Doug Smail (Sioux product) Dale Hawerchuck, Pat Elynuik, and how could you not be in awe.

(Those names were dropped for....... Buzzsaw) Hopkins Graduate

Can you try using spell check or something.... GRETZKY, ANDERSON, HAWERCHUK....

Quote:

The Putulny boys were a nice addition to the team.

It's POTULNY..... you sound like a great fan of hockey!! Good one Red! confused.gif

How's that school system working out for you? grin.gif

Besides being anal retentive, I guess you are o.k. Buzzy.

The spell check doesn't pick out those names. Spelling was never my forte'.

Putting my shoulder into hockey players bringing the puck up the ice with their head down was......

Quote:

Looking at the rosters of college hockey teams across the nation still makes me proud of Minnesota hockey! Gopher’s – 26 players, 20 from MN. North Dakota – 27 players, 11 from MN and only 3 from ND. It’s like that throughout the NCAA except there are not as many Minnesota players on the east coast. I just want all the No. Dak fans out there to know where most of their players are coming from.
laugh.gif

HG, Why did you go and bring a sense of reason to a chat board? grin.gif

I bleed green and am origninally from ND, so I generally stay away from Gopher Puck boards, but let me add one thing. Yes, MN has many college and semi-pro pucksters across the country, including many on the Sioux. Let me add this though - ND has a population of about maybe 600,000 with, I believe, maybe around 12 high school hockey teams (and argueably only seven or eight quality programs out of the twelve). Compare that to MN high school hockey and there's a dramatic population and number of programs difference. You'll never get an arguement out me about MN high school and UM tradition and quality players, but maybe you'll understand why a school like UND needs go outside the state lines (too) and only has three or four ND players.

Quote:

I do carry a grudge against Minnesota Gophers hockey because of their arrogance to only have Minnesota boys on their team. I think it is ridiculous. It hurt their program, is what it did.

Yeah the Gophers really struggled during these times let's see under Woog they were top 2 in the best conference in the country for like 8 straight years, those were tough times.

LOL at you.

It was awesome kicking the snot out of everyone year in and year out with just Minnesota teenagers.

I do admit it does suck having by far the BEST overall College Hockey Program in the WORLD.. grin.gif and we know the hatred spewed toward us is not out of the stupid semantics directed at us but out of TOTAL JEALOUSY. grin.gif

Were the toughest ticket in town for reason.

Were the Best..... grin.gif

Quote:

and we know the hatred spewed toward us is not out of the stupid semantics directed at us but out of TOTAL JEALOUSY

Ding Ding!! You are so correct!! I'm so sick of hearing whinners from outta state and from small towns complain about Minnesota being the big school that gets all the recruits!! WE DON'T get all the best recruits, just a fair share and don't hate on us because there is more to do in Mpls than in St. Cloud, Mankato and the entire state of North Dakota combined... It's not our fault that these kids want to play in a great city, with a great tradition... I don't blame them one bit! If your one of those people that hates on the Gophers because they play in Minneapolis, then I feel bad for you... there is nothing wrong with small towns, it's the small town MENTALITY that sometimes is out of whack!

Buzz

I'm going to weigh in a bit since the Gophs got spanked this weekend by the Nanooks. In fact they should have been swept this weekend, but that phantom slashing call and super slow whistle gave them a powerplay goal late in the game. And don't beak anything to me about officiating, even the faithfull Woog (who says barely anything against the Gophs) said it was a bogus call.

Gophs have the best frosh class this year bar none. We'll see how they mature and gell as a team. The WCHA is basically a free for all for the top five, I've got no clue how it will pan out.

Gophs are tough on powerplay year in and year out. They always have a bunch of skill guys, but don't do as well in a grinder type of game usually. That's the one thing to always remember, good goaltending (with solid D of course) can and will upset offensive minded teams.

As for the small town comments, I grew up small town in WI that had tons of MN city people come up to cabins. They'd all come up and talk about how great MN is, the gophs are the best. yada yada yada. And most had this type of attitude like "were spending money in your communtiy, so we can be jerks and you owe us". I always said I thought the Goph players were great, but it was there snooty fans I didn't like. [Note] just a generalization molded from years of observation. Also don't "hate" on small towns cause the Gophs have gotten a bunch of talent over the years from these places and wouldn't be near the program without them.

Also, just to note. In your nat champs you got a gift of a penalty in OT agains Maine. I can't remember the last time I saw a pen called in OT of the Nat champ game. Without Potulny or Vanek you wouldn't have been there and I'm pretty sure they didn't have a 612 or 218 area code.

Don't forget about the Broten Bros.. Neal was the smoothest(not fastest, necessarily) skater I had ever seen-just enjoyed watching him go up and down the ice, and wishing I could skate half that good... o.k., 1/4 that good!

Gophs won the NCAA Championship in the mid-'70's, and again in'79 when Broten was a pup. So, Red, they did win squat before getting out of state recruits.Check your facts more thoroughly before posting incorrect info. Can't we all just have a good time on this site for hockey nuts and not turn this into another Windbag City Walleye rip-fest back and forth?

Quote:

They'd all come up and talk about how great MN is, the gophs are the best. yada yada yada. And most had this type of attitude like "were spending money in your communtiy, so we can be jerks and you owe us".

I'd give those people the grief, it sounds like they needed to hear something. Back to Hockey, Minnesota needs to have it's youngsters get up to speed quickly... they start out against a not so tough WCHA schedule and they'll need to win most of their next eight games. I predict a third place finish in league play.

Cake Eaters you are.

You gophers fans make my stomach turn. Are you speaking of the Woog years? You guys choked more games down than the Vikings playing the Giants or the Rams.

You guys have to pat each other on the back in a love fest just to keep from having a break down. It just makes me laugh.

And, I will continue to laugh.

How did you guys do against Alaska? At home? How did you come out flat at home?

Bring back Doug Woog and his Minnestoa only club so you can gloat about how great you almost were.

Quote:

I do carry a grudge against Minnesota Gophers hockey because of their arrogance to only have Minnesota boys on their team. I think it is ridiculous. It hurt their program, is what it did. Imagine, turning away a young man because he was from North Dakota or Canada. It leaves a bad taste even when you are from the state.

You might call it arrogance but I guess I would call it pride. Is it wrong to have pride of your homestate and talent? You obviously do. Ask anyone (unbiased) to name the two best historical teams in college hockey and you will see two names mentioned in almost every response. Minnesota and Michigan. Nice programs and UND, Wisconsin, CC, etc... but if you want to debate the last 30 years there has been no more consistent programs in the country.