• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Kodiak problem

MIKE IN lINO III

2003 kodiak with low hours/miles and I just started having an intermitent problem.

Last weekend it starts and runs fine all day, Saturday morning it starts fine, run it over to the neighbors, yap with them for a while then jump on wheeler and the starter doesn't work????? I had to pull start it for the rest of the day. Sunday morning I go out and try the starter... starts right up. It seems that after the machine is warmed up the starter goes out. Push the button and nothing. Again Monday morning it starts right up???

Anybody else have this problem or heard of it?? It just started this weekend.

Mike

I doubt it's the starter. Could be shorted battery or neutral safety switch. Did you try starting it in gear and pulling the brake lever? Try turning on the the head light and hitting the start button. If nothing happens to the light, it's probably not a battery issue.

Assuming you have a good battery, check all of the wiring connections first. Intermittent problems are usually caused by loose or dirty connections either on the battery or elsewhere. If everything is tight and clean, have a voltmeter or test light handy and when it is not working, test for voltage at the starter. If you have good voltage (12.5 or so) but it won't crank, the starter is the problem. If there is no voltage at the starter, the problem is either the solenoid, one of the safety switches or maybe even the starter button. Try going back up to the solenoid and try checking there. By working your way back up the line you should be able to track it down.

i busted my finger pullstarting mine when i first got it...that sucked. i yanked on it and it stuck and snapped back and snap goes the finger. I felt a burning so i pulled off my glove and my fingertip was bent back so i just put it back in place, had xrays the next morning and it was fractured but i set it right...lucky. From then on i have not pullstarted mine.

Kodiak.. Ouch!!

I tried starting it like any regular pull start machine, it sure will snap your head back when it recoils. I just pull until I feel tension then plant my feet and pull steady not quick. Starts right up. The Big Bear that I have pull starts the same way.

I had issues with mine once in a while... my gear shifter wouldnt be all the way forward in a position the machine liked in park.. If it wasnt all the way forward(sometimes I would have to shift my weight forward to make tires move and push lever forward).

I assume on mine, something is lose or worn on the shifter. It always starts in neutral.

Check your battery posts. It may seem dumb but mine did that when I first got it and it was just a loose battery post. It worked its way loose about a year later and did the same thing again.