• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canada Geese (pics included)

Tom Wilson

Outstanding photos Tom!....great close-ups and clarity!.what we're all shooting for in this nature photography!...you've got it down quite well I'd say!...lol!....here's a couple of my own from last year...I'm still learnin..lol!.....jonny

theflock.jpg

geeselanding.jpg

3geese.jpg

restinggeese.jpg

Yeh, that's nice. The yellow in the chicks complements the yellow in the daffodils.

This is one of the few geese shots I've got so far. Not tremendously special, but I'm addicted to a nice background, and the water reflection here has an impressionistic feel that I like.

twogeese.jpg

My turn.....

The lighting on some of these was pretty good due to a fresh coating of fozen sleet/snow on top of a frozen lake near some open water.

honk_honk.jpg

honk_06_r.jpg

honk_13_r.jpg

This one I call my "Canadian Stud".....what is that between his legs cool.gif That is one of the neat things with photography is you often get back to the PC and see things that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

honk_18_r.jpg

And one with my old cheapo lens....the first time out with my D70.

honk.jpg

Funny that this posting should be at the top of the list?

Today we were out trouble shooting, ghosting some of our various clients and we were about a block or so east of Lowery and Marshal ave. N.E. and low and behold, there are 3 Canada geese at the intersection...2 of them had crossed to the north side of Lowery ave. before we we got there and they seemed to be waiting for their bud.

Believe it or not, this danged bird waited for the light to turn green for him before he waddled off across the street at a pretty good clip for a goose!

I'm sure it was just a coincidence, but man, it looked like that goose knew what the he11 he was doing?

Hobby,

Good job on the light. It's not often you can shoot during midday without harsh shadows. Were you flashing these birds as well?

And what happened to that goose's tail feathers. They're all missing except for the one hanging to the right and the one stuck in the down position? Someone was a really bad shot and he obviously survived. Odd how the one hangs straight down though.

Great shots.

Quote:

Hobby,

Good job on the light. It's not often you can shoot during midday without harsh shadows. Were you flashing these birds as well?

And what happened to that goose's tail feathers. They're all missing except for the one hanging to the right and the one stuck in the down position? Someone was a really bad shot and he obviously survived. Odd how the one hangs straight down though.

Great shots.

No flash...that day was a very cold day right after a weird snow. It was only ablout an 1nch or less but it came dowe as a snow rain mix and left a very hard white sparkly surface on the lake. That first pic was at about noon in Jan. and the sun was at a perfect angle to produce a great bounce lighting affect. There was an open spot of water on the lake and geese were coming back from feeding. I just stood out there and shot.

My guess is the feathers were the results of a dog or fox that just missed. Never saw it when I took the pic...only after I pulled it up on the screen.

They were also taken the first time out with my new 70-200 VR lens...I have learned a lot since then.

took these about half an hour ago.......nothing really "special" about these pics...kind of washed out from the noon overhead sun but here they are......I've noticed that the local geese are starting to group up for the fall thing...had to watch where I stepped because of the goose "squeezings"...lol!

DSCF2902.JPG

DSCF2897-1.jpg

DSCF2905-1.jpg

DSCF2900-1.jpg

Buzz, great picture! When ya look at those wings you have to marvel at they can do and what they do and propel that goose through the air. To bad the sun did not come out till we were on the way home! Twas a fun Saturday morning!

Johnny, I like the way that the pictures came out! Kind of a retro look to them! Thanks for sharing guys! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo