• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what is it, a bug

I never seen one of these dragon flys before, the picture is bad (I need a better camera), but its about 2 inches long max, its main body is a charteuse green, with a baby blue rear end.fly 001 (Medium).jpg

notice this dragon fly has a good taste in beer, head for the moutains.

Knoppers...I came across this damsel fly pic after entering in "green damselfly" on google....it sure fits your description of the damsel fly on your beer can........but....the only problem is that this particular damselfly lives in.........Ireland! grin.gif

guess this thread should really have been in"photo sharing"..don't think it belongs in "birding"(guess they both have wings though.lol!)...jonny

greendamselfly.jpg

geesh.....sure would be great to have a seperate "spot " for these dragon fly/nature/insect type photos!....no...they aren't deer or ducks or fish( but we all certainly come across these creatures along with the others in our daily travels afield) I have many of these types of photos(no doubt others do also) but just haven't posted em....what do others out there think?....jonny

here's an example of the "dragon's" we come across while near the shorelines or out in the lakes!..there's many varieties!....photographing these guys isn't really unlike "birding" in many ways....just something else nature has to offer us for enjoyment!.....jonny

"four-spotted skimmer"

dragon2.jpg

"dusky green clubtail"

greendarner.jpg

"chalk-fronted corporal"

chalk-frontedcorporal.jpg

"dot-tailed white-face"

DSCF2431copy.jpg

I agree jonny, keep posting them here. Besides, birds eat a lot of insects. While dragonflies and damselflies are not my strong suit, they are fascinating insects. I promise not to post any soybean aphid pics... smirk.gif

"birds-n-bugs".... grin.gif......hey!...that's a good name shocked.gif..... grin.gif...i'll post my bugs here occasionally!...lol!......I was out this morning on my weekend "jaunt" with camera in hand..saw a belted kingfisher(actually 2) but they weren't accomodating.had to settle for a few dragon flies and a "white admiral" butterfly.....jonny

Saw these along the lake this morning...the 12 spotted was attacking the red meadowhawks......these big "giganto's" of the dragon fly world instill fear in any flying insects around....good thing they like people grin.gif

"12 spotted skimmer"

12spottedskimmer2.jpg

"cherry-faced meadowhawk".....these little red guys were the "prey" this morning for the bigger "12 spotteds":

cherry-facedmeadowhawk2.jpg

Thanks Dotch!...just this spring did I start into this "dragon fly" thing....actually,while out looking for birds(still do of course)...a few landed and let me get within a few inches(the 12 spotted was taken at about 7' with full zoom)the others are all taken at about 1"-2" from each dragon fly...macro setting on some....these things are pretty "savy"...each species has it's characteristics....they "flee" at first but if you stay still...they fly around you "checkin you out"..and some land on the same "preferred"leaf/branch (there own "spotting /resting " place I guess)if you approach cautiously...they'll let you get an inch away with the lens in there face!....just no sudden movements...kinda neat to watch em "snatch" other insects out of the air!...these things have some great eyesight!...glad you enjoyed the pics!....(I never did get those belted kingfishers) grin.gif

another "bug"but a pretty neat one at that!..took this one a month or so ago......came upon this giant "6 ounce" queen bumble bee wink.gif on an ox-eye daisey and just had to get a few pics(pic was taken from about 3" away, any closer and I may have had a problem from the "business end" of this bee!...lol!(great for screen savers and back-grounds on the computer when it's february and 40 below!....lol!)...after all,isn't that what photography is all about!...capturing that "moment" for a later look...plus practicing with macro lenses and getting those "close-ups" just makes a person a better photographer...and.......it's just plain...well......."fun"... grin.gif

DSCF2181copy.jpg

DSCF2187-1copy.jpg

She's really got those pollen sacs loaded up, doesn't she? You're right, it hurts like heck to get get stung by bumblebees. About this time of year they used to make nests in the ground that wound up under the windrows when it came time to bale the straw. Running the baler over the nest infuriated them and would puzzle the guy driving the baler when he looked back to see the guys on the bale rack running like mad to get away. Despite their aggressive nature when protecting their nest, bumblebees truly are a marvel of nature and amongst its best pollinators. Great pic! They're going to have to re-title these threads "The Birds and the Bees". grin.gif

nice monarch..Tom!.....here's a bee.......all I could find the other day!.....(still practicing with the #1,#2,#4 diopters....)tough to keep the "depth of field" and get a clear pic when the camera's only 2 inches away from the subject!...a whole nother world with macro photography!.... grin.gif...jonny

DSCF2985-1-1copy.jpg

Jonny,

That is a georgeous shot. I have started to become interested in Macro, but only have the one lens, and its a little short for bees(60mm micro Nikkor). Its not too awful bad on the D70 @ 90mm, but a little short. I actually shot that Monarch, when I stopped to photograph a redtail hawk, and by the time I got out ot the truck he was gone--standing there watching him fly away I spotted this monarch over in the ditch. I shot him handheld with the 170-500 at full zoom on the D70. 750mm at F8 I believe my shutter speed was only 1/250th, with an MFD of 11.7 feet. I was shocked at how it turned out. I've got a deer photo that I got on Sunday night that I shot handheld at 1/50th of a second at 750 mm that I'll be posting soon as well. I am flabbergasted by that one. Anyways, you know how sometimes a guy can get lucky. Keep them macros coming man, and again that is one beautiful shot.

Tom W

of all those shots of the dragonflies that I've posted above...all were taken in the "macro" mode on my camera... the acception being the "12 spotted skimmer" which never allowed me to get any closer hen about 8',I used "full mechanical zoom" (10x)for that shot...the close-ups are all taken at a distance of about 2"-4" away from each dragon fly,black butterfly, and the bumble bee shots...I did use some additional lenses(55mm.)on some of those shots that I screw on to my existing camera lens...(#1,#2,and#4 dioptors)..these lenses can also be "stacked up" or screwed together in different combinations to get get even closer results...tricky though!....not every shot comes out crystal clear and I usually take probably 20 or so and end up with only a "handful" of better pics...lot of trial and error.I'm still learnin myself!... grin.gif...it is enjoyable though when you finally get one of these dragonflies to sit long enough to get the camera lense right in there face!...some let you do it.some don't!...some varieties are more "skittish" then others and the same goes for the butterflies...guess your litterally "stalking" these little guys and alot of patience certainly is required!...lol! grin.gif....jonny