• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TRAINING IN CITY LIMITS

luckycrank

CAME HOME FROM WORK TO FIND A CITATION ON MY FRONT DOOR

SEEMS ONE OF MY NEIGHBORS COMPLAINED THAT THERE WAS A MAN WITH A BLACK AND WHITE ENGLISH SETTER ON A LEASH THAT WAS KILLING MOURNING DOVES., WHEN I CALLED THE LAW ENFORCEMENT TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS WAS ALL ABOUT SHE EXPLAINED THAT IT WAS ILLEGAL TO KILL ANY ANIMAL IN CITY LIMITS.

WHEN I EXPLAINED THAT THEY WHERE PIGEONS (WICH AREN"T

PROTECTED) SHE STILL TOLD ME THAT I COULD NOT DO THIS ANY LONGER. AND I NEED TO GO INTOTHE COUNTRY TO DO THIS. (NOTE THAT ALL PIGEONS FLEW AWAY AND NOT A ONE WAS KILLED). WICH I EXPLAINED TO THE OFFICER.

I JUST DONT UNDER STAND WHAT WAS ILLEGAL?

NICE TO KNOW THAT I JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE WITH A BUNCH OF TREE HUGGERS AS NEIGHBORS!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain about trying to train in the metro area. I had a run in at one of the metro dog parks with someone who was against e-callors. What was happening is that everytime I would call Maggie this other person would also call Maggie. Maggie would start towards me just like she was suppose to and then when the other person would call her she would turn and head for that person. It took about 3 seperate times each with a higher correction before I figured out what was going on.

When I went to talk to the person all I got was how cruel I was, how inhuman it was to use an e-callor and how the dog parks are only for fun and not meant for hunting dogs.

I tried to ask her how was going to train off leash in the metro area. With every question I asked her the more hysterical she got. I did handle the ending poorly when after ten minutes of getting yelled at I finally asked if she really wanted to know about the e-callor I would be glad to strap it on her and demonstrate it. Probably not the best move on my part.

Luckily I am moving to a lake in the Alex. area and hopefully will no longer have difficulty trying to do any trainning.

Good luck with your neighbors.

This type of stuff really gets me fired up. People should just mind their own business and keep their mouth shut. These people need to realize that the world isn't a perpetual disney movie. To train gun dogs you need birds and more than likely an e-collar. I wish they would realize that this is what these dogs were born and bred to do. They have more of a purpose than laying on the rug all day and sleeping. If these people would see how much a gun dog loves to hunt and work birds, they would never keep them from doing that.

I'm guessing the dog was less uncomfortable with the ecollar than you were having to listen to her nonsense. I'm sure not going to apologize to anyone that I live to hunt, fish and be outdoors or that I enjoy eating what ends up in my game bag. These people can all just get bent as far as I'm concerned.

Luckycrank...I'm very curious what your citation was for and where you live. I'm guessing it was not for killing the birds, but actually for discharging a firearm within your city limits. Most cities have some sort of ordiance against any type of shooting (including BB guns, paintballs, arrows, etc.) If that's the case, its unfortunate. Obviously one has to train their dog with guns at some point. What I did is drove out into a township area, asked permission from a farmer to use a corner of his field, and did a summers worth of training and shooting right there. Good luck with your dog.

A friend of mine got a ticket last weekend because his dog was swimming/playing in Lake Nakomis. What complete bull! He is a lawyer and is always looking for a good reason to 'oppose the man' so he's taking this one to court. About 15 min after they got their ticket the same officer was handing out another to a guy with a golden retrever about 1/4 mile down the path. THAT is lame. I'll let you know how it turns out.

PJ

I guess I should get a ticket too since my Springer killed a pigeon that flew into my yard Monday morning.

I'd take that ticket you got straight to court. No officer witnessed the "killing" of anything, No dead birds found, I doubt the neighbor has video of you "killing" how the heck can you get a ticket!? I'd be PO'd too! I hate city living. If my wife would only agree with me I'd be a very happy guy.

I never had a gun or evan harmed the birds maybe got the pigeons a little dizzy but that was it the whole thing is blown out of proporsion gaot a notice in the mail today because of dog feces in my front lawn (against city ordinance)how ever it was two days old and when i called i explained to the officer that i pick up poo! once a week and she said to have my dog do its duty in the back yard where no one can see it i felt like saying >when you pay my taxes i will do whatever you ask!!!!!!!!!!! till then f@#k off!!!!!!!!!!

I was lucky and got of with a warning from a 21year old Barney Fife New Hope cop. I was with my wife who was about 50 yards away throwing dummies with no one else around when Barney shows up behind me with my dog coming back on retrieve. The dog comes back and sits by my side when Barney asks if I have a leash for my dog, which was sitting at my feet. He gives me a warning, a lecture about my dog being off leash. I have been training at that park for 1 1/2 years most every day.

Its tough to do the training you need in the city. I have a lake place so the serious training is done on the weekends.

what a deusch, some of them young cops in small towns are IDIOTSSSSS. you just want to tell them to get a life and stop thinking that they are FBI. the thing is they say they need more cops for what,,,,writing more tickets? is that the way the state is going to fix the budget problem? by writing more bogus tickets (glorified tax collection) Sounds like someone in your neighborhood has a problem with your dog and is ratting on you.

No, Barney was just driving by and saw me motioning to the dog to return back to me. So instead of spending his time slowing down traffic in the neighborhoods, or residential patrols, he thought he would wisely spend my tax money to fund his salary by telling me to use my leash! Whatever, I did not even look at him when he returned from his car. Did not say one word to him either. Good use of his time catching the dreaded dog trainer guy. I must see at least 5 dogs a day when I am there that are off leash. Whatever! He is right, my dog should be on a leash, but nobody around, and Ray Charles could see I was training a dog.